Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: I can haz mosin?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat187 View Post
    mosins are definetly fun to shoot. i have a russian m44 dated 1947. just a heads up i have some trouble with checzlovakian (sp?) ammo. somehow that cases expand after firing and you have to smack the bold up really hard to unchamber the case. luckly i only had one box of that crap. i use the russian surplus ammo, and definetly clean the barrel well after shootong. i use a couple patches soaked in windex to clean the barrel and chamber. have fun.....and the 91/30s dont kick as much as the 38s and the 44s.....
    That sounds more like it might be sticky BOLT syndrome. Treatment instructions are here.

I don't have an FFL, but I was very impressed with the service from firearmtransfers.net. I got a small rust spot off the barrel today using WD40 and fine steel wool. I've decided to otherwise leave the pits and imperfections alone, as that is part of the rifle's history.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    That sounds more like it might be sticky BOLT syndrome. Treatment instructions are here.
    i looked at that. cleaned the bolt really well with boiling water and mineral spirits...the chamber has no burrs and is cosmoline free. the chech ammo is the only stuff that i had that problem with tho....i have no problems with the russian ammo at all.
    Last edited by shadowcat187; February 21st, 2010 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat187 View Post
    i looked at that. cleaned to bolt really well with boiling water and mineral spirits. the chech ammo is the only stuff that i had that problem with tho....i have no problems with the russian ammo at all.
    Try oiling a round or two of ammo just before firing it. Use a *very* thin coat of oil, just enough to smear around the surface and NO MORE. See if that helps. If so, it suggests a surface parting/bonding issue*. If not, it suggests a chamber dimension or profile problem (IOW, a "burr").

Also examine empties that had high extraction effort, look for evidence of galling/gouging from a burr, or other marks that might suggest what's causing the problem.

Don't oil your ammunition, and then put it away in storage. Fire it immediately or don't lubricate it. This can (and sometimes does) ruin the powder by contamination, via capillary action around the projectile or primer cup.

* Surface bonding-some ammunition is more likely to stick or bond to chamber walls than other types. This is particularly true of steel cased ammunition, which is why steel case ammunition is either painted or copper washed to act as a parting compound. The parting compound or surface acts to encourage casing separation immediately after firing, particularly if the firearm is hot.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

yea, I read that if the bolt will not budge its sticky bolt, and that if it rotates but not all the way it is the chamber/ammo. 7.62x54r.net has a wealth of info...

for the record, mine hates czech green laqcuerd ammo & stick 80% where as the copper washed (bulgarian?) goes like butta

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Try oiling a round or two of ammo just before firing it. Use a *very* thin coat of oil, just enough to smear around the surface and NO MORE.
    I always heard that lubricating ammo was a bad idea because it messed with the case friction and could cause excessive back pressure. Don't know, but that's what I was taught...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 View Post
    yea, I read that if the bolt will not budge its sticky bolt, and that if it rotates but not all the way it is the chamber/ammo. 7.62x54r.net has a wealth of info...

for the record, mine hates czech green laqcuerd ammo & stick 80% where as the copper washed (bulgarian?) goes like butta

sounds like you have the same problem i have...i will have to check out 7.62x54.net.

To headspace, or not to headspace. That is the question.....I really don't want to take the extractor off my bolt due to its delicate nature. The next option is $35.00 to have the smith do it at Bravermans (although I imagine they will take the extractor off). I read all this great stuff online about "coin style" headspace guages. I can only find one company that makes them (Yankee). It would seem they want the payment by mail (roughly 1 week to get there), then over 1 month turnaround time, plus 40 bucks for a tiny field guage. This means I get to sit and stare at my rifle instead of shooting it for 1-2 months. As badly as I want a simply coin style guage, that sounds like one helluva headache. Any other headspace options out there I haven't considered?

(Lackawanna County)

You didn't just use 'delicate' and Mosin in the same sentence, did you?
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    To headspace, or not to headspace. <snip> Any other headspace options out there I haven't considered?
    You can try Tony Molinaro Gunsmithing on West Liberty not far from the tunnels. He charges $15 and takes 3-4 days. Not sure if he has 7.62x54r but it's worth a call. Cheaper and faster than your other options.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast