Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: I can haz mosin?

Thanks for the info. I might just bite the bullet and use mineral spirits. Somebody told me this will dry out the metal, and I need to oil everything the same day as I clean it. He said the parts could literally begin to rust the same day I clean them if I do not re-oil them. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    Thanks for the info. I might just bite the bullet and use mineral spirits. Somebody told me this will dry out the metal, and I need to oil everything the same day as I clean it. He said the parts could literally begin to rust the same day I clean them if I do not re-oil them. Is this true?
    It's a firearm. Why wouldn't you?

True, I just didn't know how much time I would have to re-oil. So far I'm thinking about filling a pan with mineral spirits, and dipping each piece in the pan. The pieces then come out, get wiped down with a rag, and oiled. Does this sound like a reasonable process?

True, I just didn't know how much time I would have to re-oil. So far I'm thinking about filling a pan with mineral spirits, and dipping each piece in the pan. The pieces then come out, get wiped down with a rag, and oiled. Does this sound like a reasonable process?
    You might be putting too much faith in the ability of mineral spirits to magically dissolve cosmoline. Heat is your friend, and does a better job at getting the bulk of the preservative off. Otherwise, yes, that's about it.

Well ladies and gentlemen, the mosin is cleaned. I disassembled the rifle (and ordered my stock). I then soaked all metal parts in boiling water, wiped them down, and re-oiled them. Tonight I reassembled the bolt and checked firing pin protrusion. Now I just need my stock so I can put her together and get the headspace checked. I think I understand how to do it myself, but for the price of a field guage I can spend a few more bucks and have the local "smith" do it. I noticed that the barrel is fairly pitted and beat up (to be expected I suppose). Are there any quick easy ways to smooth out the metal on the barrel or re-finish it? This is my first rifle, and I am really enjoying learning and working on it.
    Last edited by Last Resort; February 21st, 2010 at 06:23 PM.

Are there any quick easy ways to smooth out the metal on the barrel or re-finish it? This is my first rifle, and I am really enjoying learning and working on it.
    Quick and easy is to replace it with another. Laborious and somewhat controversial? Look here.
    Last edited by King 5.45; February 21st, 2010 at 03:03 AM.

(Northampton County)

Just to add to the thread, I obtained a 91/30 yesterday, and now am faced with the prospect of cleaning the cosmoline from it myself. Looks like heat, CRC brake parts cleaner, mineral spirits will be the tools of choice.

Regarding the stock: Obviously these are not expensive rifles, and given the large number on the market, will most likely never be collectible. Therefore, I'm not really worried about 'originality' in the finish of the stock, only that it doesn't ooze cosmoline when at the range in the summer. To that end, my plan is to use heat and mineral spirits to get as much of it out as possible, then finish it with a stain (if needed) and spar varnish (probably helmsman urethane in flat or satin, due to its durability). Is that terribly offensive to purists?

(Lancaster County)

mosins are definetly fun to shoot. i have a russian m44 dated 1947. just a heads up i have some trouble with checzlovakian (sp?) ammo. somehow that cases expand after firing and you have to smack the bold up really hard to unchamber the case. luckly i only had one box of that crap. i use the russian surplus ammo, and definetly clean the barrel well after shootong. i use a couple patches soaked in windex to clean the barrel and chamber. have fun.....and the 91/30s dont kick as much as the 38s and the 44s.....

I am guessing the OP has an 03 FFL to purchase from aimsurplus. If that is the case, why would he be shopping at Dunham's?
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I am guessing the OP has an 03 FFL to purchase from aimsurplus. If that is the case, why would he be shopping at Dunham's?
    Jules
    Because (IMO):

1) if you wait for the sales, Dunham's can be just as cheap when compared to paying shipping from Aim

2) you can see what you're buying before you buy it

3) it doesn't hurt to spend money locally when you can

I have an 03 and I bought 2 Mosins from Dunhams.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast