Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 69
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nowhere, Wyoming
    Posts
    753
    Rep Power
    1523

    Default Re: I can haz mosin?

    Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Please feel free to train us.
    I'm no expert. I use this to start:

    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm

    And then verify by posting pics on their forum and asking for some confirmation.

    After identifying your Mosin, refer to the following page for an idea of what it might be worth:

    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm
    Last edited by Nullifidian; February 11th, 2010 at 09:35 AM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    4,125
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I can haz mosin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    I have purchased my first rifle, a Mosin Nagant. I have been trying to get one of these for severals weeks now, and it has been way harder then it should be.
    Congratulations on your first rifle. Yes, you can haz Mosin, but cheezburger might be different story ...


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    534
    Rep Power
    26449

    Default Re: I can haz mosin?

    Well, it seems that I didn't do all my homework. Tonight I was introduced to Cosmoline. My rifle is drenched in it. After reading, it seems it can be quite a process to remove all this gunk. As it is the dead of winter, it seems my options are somewhat limited without harsh chemicals. Anybody have any suggestions for the quickest/easiest way to get this thing ready to shoot? Also, (I know some of you won't like this) I plan on changing over to the black sport stock. I'm wondering if rather than going to all the trouble of cleaning the cosmoline off the wood and re-finishing, if I should just take the rifle apart and put the sport stock on right off the bat. That way I could leave the wood preserved in cosmoline, and clean all the pieces while they are apart. Your thoughts?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Newport, Pennsylvania
    (Perry County)
    Posts
    1,227
    Rep Power
    4970

    Default Re: I can haz mosin?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Sucks about Dunham's but congrats on the Mosin. Just get ready for the sore shoulder (and an addiction to surplus ammo)!
    I bought a PAST shoulder recoil pad to use with my Enfield and Mosin. it's a huge help! I'm a big guy so it's a tight fit though. If I could find some extra strap extenders that have the same size plastic connectors it would be perfect, but I don't know where to find any.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    4,125
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I can haz mosin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    Well, it seems that I didn't do all my homework. Tonight I was introduced to Cosmoline. My rifle is drenched in it. After reading, it seems it can be quite a process to remove all this gunk. As it is the dead of winter, it seems my options are somewhat limited without harsh chemicals. Anybody have any suggestions for the quickest/easiest way to get this thing ready to shoot? Also, (I know some of you won't like this) I plan on changing over to the black sport stock. I'm wondering if rather than going to all the trouble of cleaning the cosmoline off the wood and re-finishing, if I should just take the rifle apart and put the sport stock on right off the bat. That way I could leave the wood preserved in cosmoline, and clean all the pieces while they are apart. Your thoughts?
    If you ventilate extremely well and choose your times appropriately, the kitchen is a great place to remove cosmoline. The small parts can be boiled in water, in a big enough pot that you never intend to use for anything else but hare-brained gun projects, and then gone over with an old toothbrush and a small, small amount of some sort of solvent (you really can't get completely away from chemicals to get it all off) like mineral spirits.

    The barrel is a bit tougher to clean with just boiling water, but repeated applications and elbow grease will get you through.. Some folks go all the way and then do it electronically, too, either through expensive kits or a completely Rube Goldberg DIY project to remove all the copper and lead fouling.

    I tend to use a combination of boiling water on small parts and then steam on the larger parts, stocks included. Nobody is going to fault you for completely removing the wooden stock and replacing it so long as you preserve it, but I wouldn't just let it sit in the cosmoline. One great method for removal is to stick it in a black plastic trash bag inside your car (again, careful with the wife's nose and sense of dignity) during the warm months, which will drip it off slowly. Others go all out with harsh chemicals like oven cleaners in an effort to do it ASAP. Check at surplusrifles for more ideas on cosmoline, and have fun with it.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cherryville, Pennsylvania
    (Northampton County)
    Posts
    345
    Rep Power
    52120

    Default Re: I can haz mosin?

    For cosmoline removal, you might try CRC Brakleen, in the red spray bottle. It removes the stuff very well, and leaves none of its own residue. Available at pretty much all places that sell anything automotive.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hanover, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    584

    Default Re: I can haz mosin?

    I just cleaned my metal parts in low odor mineral spirits. The wood I tried a hair dryer with ok results. Then just used an old heating pad wrapped around it. Still can't wait for summer to do the black plastic bag trick.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    4,125
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I can haz mosin?

    Quote Originally Posted by dsnover View Post
    For cosmoline removal, you might try CRC Brakleen, in the red spray bottle. It removes the stuff very well, and leaves none of its own residue. Available at pretty much all places that sell anything automotive.
    ... except for the fact that he's looking to avoid chemicals.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dover, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,553
    Rep Power
    851988

    Default Re: I can haz mosin?

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I bought a PAST shoulder recoil pad to use with my Enfield and Mosin. it's a huge help! I'm a big guy so it's a tight fit though. If I could find some extra strap extenders that have the same size plastic connectors it would be perfect, but I don't know where to find any.
    Quit being a big girly man! Those recoil pads are for 9yr olds who want to shoot Mosins.

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."
    - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    ..- -. .. - . -.. ... - .- - . ...
    Posts
    2,822
    Rep Power
    55450

    Default Re: I can haz mosin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    ... Tonight I was introduced to Cosmoline. My rifle is drenched in it. ... Anybody have any suggestions for the quickest/easiest way to get this thing ready to shoot?... Your thoughts?
    The way it was intended to be removed. Heat.

    I use an industrial heat gun. Very effective, no chemicals to attack the finish on the wood.

    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

    http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Scoped Mosin/Scout Mosin/Sporterized Mosin
    By Kb! Bob in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM
  2. My New Mosin!!
    By Smalls in forum General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: November 18th, 2009, 12:14 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 21st, 2009, 10:29 PM
  4. Mosin 91/30
    By sergei3311 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 18th, 2009, 12:32 AM
  5. Mosin or SKS?
    By FAL in forum General
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: January 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops