Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default grip safety on 1911 question

hey guys - i'm still new to 1911s - the one i just got, everything is completely functional - had it checked by a gunsmith. the only problem is the grip safety doesn't work. how big of a deal is this? is it still ok to shoot the weapon? and also, is there any easy fixes that might make it work or any way to tell if it was disabled on purpose? any help would be appreciated. thanks,
    D
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: grip safety on 1911 question

It should be okay, if you'd like bring it to the PAFOA shoot and either myself or Lycan will look at it, might be something simple.

SteveD

If the grip safety doesn't work, it's not fully functional. It should be ok, but I'd take it back the smith and have it fixed.

What kind of 1911 is it?
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Bucks County)

ok - i'll definitely bring it to the shoot and i appreciate you offer to look at it - i'll take you up on it.

it's an essex arms receiver with an ithaca upper - it needs refinishing so i think i'm going to have it dura-coated.i think i'm gonna keep it unless i can sell it for enough to get another one (550.00 or so) you can see pics of it in the gun pic forum - it's next to my glock under the roll call thread...........
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Chester County)

Some people have had the grip safety pinned so it doesn't function. I might be as simple as removing a pin.

(Lawrence County)

Yep. Might be pinned and in that case it won't move.

If it moves and allows the gun to fire it's likely too short (or way too long and riding on top of the trigger bow instead of blocking it). In that case, you can just get a new one or....by carefully using a vise you can squeeze it out a bit and make it functional again.

New ones just take some filing to fit as long as you're using the same make.

Won't cause it to be unsafe.

If the gunsmith checked it over and said everything is functional....well, he kinda lied!

Lycanwecanmakeitbetterthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lycoming County)

Default Easy Fix

The problem (assuming it isnt pinned) is the mainspring housing. Contrary to popular urban myth, they are NOT "drop-in" parts and this is the most common fitting issue when swapping a housing. It's a very easy fix and there's no need for a smith, if you own a needle file and some cold blue.
    At the top of the MSH there is a "yoke" where you insert the mainspring. On the rear of it, there is a pair of "tynes", or legs, which contact the grip safety and determine its rearward travel. (If you look at the bottom of the safety, it's easy to see this interface.) Using a needle file, take off a couple thousandths, install and try the safety. Whenever performing DIY gunsmithing, ALWAYS take off too little and test.
    A few passes and tests will solve the problem. Hit it with five coats of cold blue before final install. Wahla!
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Lawrence County)

Watch when filing the mainspring housing. Some grip safeties are high and have very little contact there to begin with. I've never had to touch a mainspring housing on a Kimber or STI.

(Cambria County)

funny thing, my Norinco 1911A1 does the same thing, i wish i could make it to the shoot in Sept and have one of you guys look at it, concidering its my carry peice (by vertue of being my only handgun). i have been looking at replacing the grip safety with a Wilson Combat one but i am not sure if that will fix the problem
    USMC SGT
    UH-1N Crewchief

"I bring the death from above"

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC SGT View Post
    funny thing, my Norinco 1911A1 does the same thing, i wish i could make it to the shoot in Sept and have one of you guys look at it, concidering its my carry peice (by vertue of being my only handgun). i have been looking at replacing the grip safety with a Wilson Combat one but i am not sure if that will fix the problem
    Depending on the model, the grip safety may also not match the frame. The last grip safety I did needed some serious blending to look pretty.

Lycangundivathrope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast