Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: OC'ing w/Current Pittsburgh State of Emergency

Based on the cited law, it seems that the only difference is that sterile OC becomes problematic during a state of emergency. As long as you carry your LTCF with you, it shouldn't be a problem.

That, and it's just a snow storm. Not all 'states of emergency' are created equal. If the SoE were declared because of civil unrest, you'd probably want to consider concealing. Given that the SoE is just as a result of a snow storm, the cops are probably too busy to even notice that you're carrying.

How do you guys OC in this kind of weather, anyways? Even with an OWB hip holster, most winter jackets are going to cover it up. Do you guys specifically perch your jacket on top of the gun just to make a point?
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Venango County)

I do not normally OC. I support it though.

However, if there was a declared emergency with civil unrest, I would definitely OC with at least one hidden bug. I would use military LBE (load bearing eqpt) and pistol rig and somehow get it to work. I have the belt but not the suspenders at this point in time. I do need to modify it to adapt for my holster, though.

I could also let out my shoulder holsters but then I might not be able to use them with the coat off and I would need some kind of outside belt or loop to attach to securely.

Your post got me thinking I need to get the LBE idea fully prepped.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post

How do you guys OC in this kind of weather, anyways? Even with an OWB hip holster, most winter jackets are going to cover it up. Do you guys specifically perch your jacket on top of the gun just to make a point?
    Nope, I have two winter coats this year.

One, for business casual wear, and the other is a Columbia brand winter coat.

For both, I went to the local cleaner's that also does alterations and had a zipper put in on my right (holster) side on each coat.
    This gives me the ability to wear my coat exactly how its supposed to be worn, yet lets my pistol stick out and not effect warmth and insulation of the coat.
    The zipper only cost a few dollars and about $12 to install.
    Got it back in a day.

I prefer nylon zippers because they dont get cold as much as metal ones do.
    Last edited by Ricochet; February 12th, 2010 at 02:33 AM.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    Keep in mind that the state of emergency affects more than just the “concealable firearms” that are normally complemented by a license to carry a firearm (LTCF). Under a state of emergency, the affected area basically becomes like Philadelphia, where you need a license to carry a firearm (LTCF) to carry any firearm, long guns included. The only exceptions to carry any firearm (long guns included) without a license to carry a firearm (LTCF) are active defense from a threat or those enumerated in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106 (b).
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6107

Title 18 Pa.C.S. Crimes and Offenses
    Part II. Definition of Specific Offenses
    Article G. Miscellaneous Offenses
    Chapter 61. Firearms and Other Dangerous Articles
    Subchapter A. Uniform Firearms Act
    § 6107. Prohibited conduct during emergency

(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:
    (1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person’s life or property from peril or threat.
    (2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    (b) Seizure, taking and confiscation.--Except as otherwise provided under subsection (a) and notwithstanding the provisions of 35 Pa.C.S. Ch. 73 (relating to Commonwealth services) or any other provision of law to the contrary, no firearm, accessory or ammunition may be seized, taken or confiscated during an emergency unless the seizure, taking or confiscation would be authorized absent the emergency.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    “Accessory.” Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.
    “Firearm.” The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.
    So, if you want to know how one open carries in this kind of weather, imagine someone walking (snowshoeing?) their shiny rifle or shotgun over to a neighbor’s house down the street to show it off during a friendly get together over dinner, and realize that the state of emergency now requires the carrier of that rifle or shotgun to have a license to carry a firearm (LTCF).

Sticking with the topic of handguns, however, a drop leg?
    Last edited by JCWohlschlag; February 12th, 2010 at 03:02 AM.

(Allegheny County)

OMG, come on... this isn't even relatively close to an emergency state even in the least. its just snow and whats killing us is the lack of road crews doing anything. there are many northern states in which our current "blizzard" is a light dusting to them and goes on all winter

me and my neighbor cleared our back alley in 2 hours with snow shovels.

in order for things to improve, the people that get paid to improve things have to do something. this has been the laziest year ever for public works road crews.

LMAO, emergency
    Last edited by 556slinger; February 12th, 2010 at 04:42 AM.
    I needs the following... .303 ammo, scrap steel, and and cheap SKS. please LMK

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by 556slinger View Post
    OMG, come on... this isn't even relatively close to an emergency state even in the least. its just snow and whats killing us is the lack of road crews doing anything. there are many northern states in which our current "blizzard" is a light dusting to them and goes on all winter

me and my neighbor cleared our back alley in 2 hours with snow shovels.

in order for things to improve, the people that get paid to improve things have to do something. this has been the laziest year ever for public works road crews.

LMAO, emergency

We all know this isnt a "real" SHTF emergency.

This thread was a question about the law, and the governor used the state law to declare a state of emergency.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    We all know this isnt a "real" SHTF emergency.

This thread was a question about the law, and the governor used the state law to declare a state of emergency.
    Which means, as JCWohlschlag pointed out, just carrying a long gun over to the neighbors (if you hit a public point) now requires a LTCF.

For those that never felt the need to get a LTCF because they don't ever plan on carrying, could get the screws put to them and not even know it.

The reason SoE was declared was to activate the Na'l Guard with their high clearance 4x4s, no doubt. But the fact of the matter is that we are in a declared SoE. So we must follow the law as given for SoE.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    The reason SoE was declared was to activate the Na'l Guard with their high clearance 4x4s, no doubt.
    also so the state can contract private snow removal services (to augment the state/county/city snow plows) without having to go through a bidding process (which would not end up being complete until after the snow naturally melted ).
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

I can't wait until my street comes up on the rotation for streets to get plowed. It hasn't been once.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCWohlschlag View Post

Sticking with the topic of handguns, however, a drop leg?
    I have a drop leg that I have worn from time to time, level 2 retention. Even so, I dont wear it much because I am concerned about retaining it in the case of a grab. The double strap over the back is good enough that I doubt they would actually get the gun off of me that way. However a double nylon strap on my thigh is not a thick leather belt on my waist, and would present its own problems. Plus given some time to look at it its obvious three quick clasps hold the whole thing on, and its more likely (if they were smart) they could unsnap them and take the whole rig.

That would probably involve a struggle though. So basically I CC with a coat then when I get to the store or where ever I take my jacket off if I wish to OC. Or if Im not going out into public much I will sometimes still wear the dropleg, I just dont feel comfortable doing so in crowds.

I cannot say for certain if I would OC in a time of civil unrest. In this current case, yes of course I would, as described above. But I suppose if Ihad to go out I would take my rifle with me in the car, and OC in the store with my pistol. Out and about on my property/ neighborhood... I would probably take my rifle with me. Its really hard to say without knowing how bad it would be and where it was taking place.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123