Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Crime Increases in Scranton

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/sta...anton-1.602172

Violent crime in Scranton jumped 19 percent in 2009, and the latest statistics point to a significant rise in juveniles committing aggravated assaults as a reason why.

Some officials in the criminal justice system said the numbers confirm what they already knew, and they believe drugs, gang activity and the recession are all playing a role.

"The concern is the level of violence, the absolute audacity and lack of respect we are seeing," said Frank Castellano, head of the juvenile unit in the Lackawanna County district attorney's office.

Increasing violence is only part of the story that emerges from preliminary statistics the Scranton Police Department files monthly with the state's Uniform Crime Reporting System. The submission last month of December's numbers closes the book on 2009 and shows the city at odds with a national decline in violent crime.

In six of the past eight years - the exceptions were steep drops in 2006 and 2007 - violent crime has increased in Scranton. The FBI, which uses the statistics from the state system for its own annual count, categorizes violent crime as murder, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

Violent crimes and property crimes - burglary, larceny, auto theft and arson - make up the eight most serious, consistently reported offenses the FBI tracks.

Property crimes are Scranton's most prevalent offenses, and in that category there was little change - a 1 percent dip.

The city's 2009 property crime rate per 1,000 residents surpassed that of urban heavyweights Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, while Scranton ranked fifth among the state's 10 most populous cities behind Allentown, Lancaster, Reading and Harrisburg.

In violent crime, Scranton ranked seventh out of the 10.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Crime Increases in Scranton

At least we're winning about something. I can't think of any other positives other than the fact that they're not much else to go from here than up.

(Schuylkill County)

It doesn't help a lot of gang members and dealers are moving in from NYC and NJ either. I got away from there, and couldn't be happier.

Stay safe Jah...
    III%

(Lackawanna County)

i just want to print this out and carry it arouns with me, for the next time some random idiot on the street asks me, "whaddya carryin' dat t'ing around fer? dis is Scranton, ain'eh?"

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i just want to print this out and carry it arouns with me, for the next time some random idiot on the street asks me, "whaddya carryin' dat t'ing around fer? dis is Scranton, ain'eh?"
    Yea, it's funny, on the Times' site everyone is constantly saying how nice of an area it is, and how safe it is to raise children, etc.

Yeaaaaaaa... maybe 50-100 years ago.
    III%

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Yea, it's funny, on the Times' site everyone is constantly saying how nice of an area it is, and how safe it is to raise children, etc.

Yeaaaaaaa... maybe 50-100 years ago.
    i used to feel the same way; after all, i'm used to the Bronx, so this place might as well be Walnut Grove, as far as i'm concerned. but, now that i have kids, and i look at things from the perspective of an old man who's been here awhile, this place has really just become a satellite suckhole of Philly.

(Lackawanna County)

Coming from NJ, I can say that crime in Scranton is nowhere near the levels that I saw in NJ. But, it doesn't help that we have a mayor that puts more emphasis on parks and recreation, is constantly battling the Police Department, and refuses to acknowledge that gangs are moving to Scranton.

(Schuylkill County)

i used to feel the same way; after all, i'm used to the Bronx, so this place might as well be Walnut Grove, as far as i'm concerned. but, now that i have kids, and i look at things from the perspective of an old man who's been here awhile, this place has really just become a satellite suckhole of Philly.
    True... and this(my) opinion coming from a country kid... So I guess I view it as maybe worse in perspective, as you, coming from the Bronx view it as a little better.
    Move out Jah... move out to where you hear nothing but silence and nature at night... you'll never want to move back
    However, one good thing about the city, is that you have everything you need within a small radius...

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Flake View Post
    Coming from NJ, I can say that crime in Scranton is nowhere near the levels that I saw in NJ. But, it doesn't help that we have a mayor that puts more emphasis on parks and recreation, is constantly battling the Police Department, and refuses to acknowledge that gangs are moving to Scranton.
    Just wait until that man is our governator....
    III%

(Cumberland County)

I'm the same way with Mechanicsburg, tiny little town with 9000 people. The crime rate is still pretty low. although when you look at the statistics it is bad. The thing is with so few people even one serious crime looks bad.

All the towns are falling apart and I can tell you exactly where the trouble lives. The the government funded row homes.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    I'm the same way with Mechanicsburg, tiny little town with 9000 people. The crime rate is still pretty low. although when you look at the statistics it is bad. The thing is with so few people even one serious crime looks bad.

All the towns are falling apart and I can tell you exactly where the trouble lives. The the government funded row homes.
    I would buy a motor home and live at Williamsgrove year round..

But that's just me.
    III%

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast