Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Unusual but Honorable Request.

Closed, Request no longer needed .....Thanks Popeye.
    Last edited by Popeye; February 11th, 2010 at 09:58 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Unusual but Honorable Request.

You might want to contact the CMP and see what they may have.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Unusual but Honorable Request.

we could take up a collection and have a member pick up a $999.00 special at a gun show,but how would the paper work go ,charitable donation??
    RJSIXGUN has one for $550.00
    ive got $10.00, any managment want to pick this up??
    Last edited by tomgun1; February 10th, 2010 at 04:38 PM.

Not that I don't see where the guys are coming from, and not that I wouldn't be in for a donation if it was truly needed but I really don't think it's up to anyone but the .gov to supply those rifles. It would be beyond ridiculous IMO to buy a rifle from the .gov(CMP) just to donate it to the .gov.

Someone either dropped the ball, or hasn't gotten the word they are needed because even the smaller VFW posts have boatloads of them.

(Allegheny County)

Just wanted to say hello from Pittsburgh.

I've been a member of the PGR since June 2006 and have been on way too many honor missions.

Thanks for standing up.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Genitlemen we are not looking for any donations as far as money. Let me explain this a little. The cemetary is a national cemetery. The Guardians are not connected to the cemetery and they do not have control over the rifles . The cemetery is separate from the guardians but we work closely with each other to make sure the Vet is treated with the respect they so rightfully deserve. All the cemetery wants to know is we have guys out there doing rifle salutes. As of right now there is no preminent buildings that is useable on the site. With no perminent building that means no safe to lock them up in and no rifles to call our own, acording to the VA. The Guardians are in the process of aquireing and old farmhouse on the site and turning that into a building to be used by the guardians and a possible muesum. All this is still in the works at the present time. If we can aquire that building and do a major overhaul to it then We would be able to get our own rifles from the VA.
    Sometimes all this red tape and jumping through hoops gives me a friggin headache. As of right now the only way I can see this working is if the rifle was transfered into one of the guardians names and taken home every night. This means he would be the actual owner of that weapon. Trust me I understand your concerns on this matter.The only thing I can say is we are for real and anyone who would want to see what we do or meet anyone of us in person I'm sure we could arrange that or meet at the cemetery. Trust me if most of us could afford to buy one outright we would and tell them all to pound sand. There is nothing I'd like more than to have the same weapon to shoot everyday honoring these brave souls on there last journey take home at the end of the day and treat it like one of my children. Like I said before to me and M1 garand is not just any rifle it's our history and should be treated as such. Unfortunately retirement income does not allow such luxuries. Basically All we're looking for is a dusty old M1's that is sitting around collecting dust and putting it back into service for the country and the Vets that actually used them. We know people who have them and look at them once or twice a year and do not want to let them go for whatever reason and that's there right to do so, but to me it just seems wrong. IMO nothing says goodbye and thank you for your service like three shots from and M1 Garand.
    I still don't understand why the cemetery is not supplying the required equipment if they are indeed a national cemetery, they are usually run by the book. Are they supplying uniforms or anything? I'm also confused on why a local honorguard platoon isn't being called in and why they appointed a group of guardians(not trying to take away from you with that, its just odd to me).

I'll make a few phone calls in the morning and see what I can't stir up, but none of that sounds right to me and if thats the way they are running things its quite disrespectful IMO.
    Last edited by XD45; February 10th, 2010 at 11:30 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I'm also confused on why a local honorguard platoon isn't being called in and why they appointed a group of guardians(not trying to take away from you with that, its just odd to me).
    That's just due to logistics. The honor guard groups in the area are small and unable to make every request while still completing their primary MOS duties. I know that seems harsh but its the reality of things these days.
    When Willow Grove NAS/JRB closes, the shortage of honor guard units will be a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    XD45 Let me try this agian as plainly as I can. The Cemetery and it's people are only interested in getting the bodies in the ground. That is there only job.(period) They do it well and for the most part,and are a pleasure to work with while we're getting through our growing pains. The VA. or Army or where ever the rifles will eventually come from want a permenent building, a safe, and insured. All this needs to happen first before they even discuss giving/loaning us the weapons. They are very strict on these issues. Remember these are weapons and they treat them as weapons even though they will only be used for shooting blanks. They're not just going to hand them out to anyone who wants one. Anyone who has ever been in the service knows just to get a can of paint takes triplicate copies a request from god and a letter from your mother. So this gives you some sort of idea what we're up against. As of right this minute on that land there is about 18+" of white global warming,a maintenance shack, 4 or 5 temporary box type units used as offices for the cemetery people , and old farmhouse that is so old the historical society does not want it torn down from what I'm hearing. That is the building we guardians are trying to get donated to us.. Do not think the cemetery or it's people has anything to do with the weapons because they don't. The simplest way to think of this is the cemetery and the funeral homes supply us with bodies. We the Guardians and the branches of the military sent them off to where ever there souls are going. We're just doing that as best we can,and with as much dignity as possible. Many members of the families thank us for being there for them and for honoring there departed relative. That's nice to hear once in a while after standing in snow for hours at a time. On a busy day we only get 10 minutes between funerals, to do whatever we have to do and reload the weapons, but in reality it's nothing when you compare it to what these men and women have done for us and the nation. I'm proud to be out there with these guys and doing what we do. However if they can find local honor guards groups to take time off from work everyday, and do a funeral every half hour I'll be glad to sit down and watch. Somehow I really don't think that's going to happen anytime soon but if one of them wants to join the Guardians of the cemetery we'd welcome them with open arms.
    Please don't think I'm trying to put your group down with my comments, or that I think the respect/honor your group provides is somehow less than that of your standard honor guard because that's not the case or my issue.

Sadly the most horrible thing I've ever saw was the total disrecpect of hundreds of soldiers waiting to be buried in Arlington and ever since I've always had an extreme issue and distrust for the national cemeteries and this issue is raising some more red flags to me.

Question: does your group fold/present the flag, and play taps or is it only an honorguard type thing with firing squad?

Quote Originally Posted by monco123 View Post
    That's just due to logistics. The honor guard groups in the area are small and unable to make every request while still completing their primary MOS duties. I know that seems harsh but its the reality of things these days.
    When Willow Grove NAS/JRB closes, the shortage of honor guard units will be a lot worse.
    So long as they are notified in time they will send out reseve units from the deceased branch. Though its more than rare to see them send more than 2 and have a 21 gun salute.
    Last edited by XD45; February 11th, 2010 at 10:15 AM.

Please delete, Request no longer needed thanks to local contact. Thanks Popeye
    Last edited by Popeye; February 12th, 2010 at 08:15 AM.