Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Do you think this event helped advance gun rights in a positive manner?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 36.76%
  • No

86 63.24%
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Gun Carriers Walk into Ponderosa Steakhouse

Do you think this event helped advance gun rights?

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/83486052.html

LANSING -- Quite the scene developed outside Ponderosa Steakhouse in South Lansing this past Saturday afternoon.

About seven men walked into the restaurant, packing guns -- open for all to see in holsters on their hips. A short while later, Lansing Police showed up to show the men out.

A verbal argument between the gun carriers and officers ensued, caught on camera by a bystander (the video can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzPTi8heUTQ).

"The open carriers were of course not happy, because they were minding their own business, doing a lawful activity," said Tyler Hilliker, a gun rights supporter who was at Ponderosa on Saturday.

Under Michigan law, people with legally registered handguns can openly carry them in public. Some of the men who walked into Ponderosa, in fact, were members of the Michigan Open Carry. They were holding a meeting to discuss gun rights.

Only thing is, private property owners can refuse them.

"My analogy would be: If you come to my home, that's private property. I can decide who I want and my home and who not," said Teresa Szymanski, captain of the Lansing Police Department's South Precinct.

Officials from Michigan Open Carry say the owner of Ponderosa greed to let them hold a meeting at the restaurant. But he says he didn't expect the meeting to be held on a busy Saturday -- and certainly didn't expect the men to bring more than handguns.

"At first, we looked the other way on the handguns," said owner Dennis Holleran. "And then some gentleman shows up with an assault rifle, and that was just too far over the top."

That's when an assistant manager decided to call police. The open carriers say about 10 officers arrived on the scene and began harrassing them.

But LPD say no one was arrested and notes they're now working cooperatively with Open Carry to ensure this doesn't happen again.

"I think the taxpayers of Lansing want us to respond to gun calls. But at the same time, we need to be aware of individual rights."
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Gun Carriers Walk into Ponderosa Steakhouse

video is already down???

I wanna see!

Where's the "neither" option?

I think the fact that the article explained the legalities of the situation regarding open carry and trespassing was good.

Without seeing the video I can't determine if there was harassment between either party or not. It doesnt state that the manager asked them to put the rifle away or to leave. If they ignored the officers when being asked to leave or ignored the owner then they're clearly in the wrong.

This, however, is a step in a positive direction:

But LPD say no one was arrested and notes they're now working cooperatively with Open Carry to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    "At first, we looked the other way on the handguns," said owner Dennis Holleran. "And then some gentleman shows up with an assault rifle, and that was just too far over the top."

That's when an assistant manager decided to call police. The open carriers say about 10 officers arrived on the scene and began harrassing them.

"I think the taxpayers of Lansing want us to respond to gun calls. But at the same time, we need to be aware of individual rights."
    More speech and freedom is not bad so I vote positive.

I obviously don't know the whole story but it seems that the OC'ers contacted the owner, and frankly I don't see why the owner just didn't ask them to leave.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Where's the "neither" option?

I think the fact that the article explained the legalities of the situation regarding open carry and trespassing was good.

Without seeing the video I can't determine if there was harassment between either party or not. It doesnt state that the manager asked them to put the rifle away or to leave. If they ignored the officers when being asked to leave or ignored the owner then they're clearly in the wrong.

This, however, is a step in a positive direction:

^^^Agree with you 100%

(Lackawanna County)

i don't think it hurt or helped either way. no one broke the law, no one was arrested, and no one was shot. the rifle may have been a bit much, but that's just my personal feeling. just as some people would never openly carry a handgun, i doubt i'll ever tote a rifle to the corner store, unless there's some sort of civil unrest going on.

(Franklin County)

Neutral effect. Group had prior permission. When the manager realized he was getting more than he "bargained for", he should have simply asked them to leave.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Seems the police were educated about something they were not really aware of prior, or there would have been no reason for them to reference needing to answer calls but also needing to respect rights. Kudos to them for being open about it and understanding the role they are supposed to be filling.

So yes, I believe this advanced gun rights. Probably not the answer you were looking for Dave, but there it is.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Blair County)

Where was the rifle placed at while its owner was busy eating? Was it loaded? What reason is there to carry a rifle into a Ponderosa? Im all for rights. But doing something just because you can is no reason to do anything. Personally I could care less if people OC....but the vast majority of people who post here about it seem to do it just for the shock value. Just to see other peoples reactions. IMO this is wrong and shows something lacking from that persons mentality. Do you really need attention that badly? I CC everywhere I go and go thru a reasonable amount of effort to make sure it stays that way.

I will liken it to owning a large constrictor. Yes I can go out with a 8 foot python around my neck. It is my right to do so. Other people have the right to walk down the street and NOT be subjected to an 8 foot long snake at eye level. If I carry that snake around just because I enjoy the look of discomfort on peoples faces. Or just to know IM stirring up conversations, then I am violating someone elses right not to see that.

Some people dont want to see an assault rifle at dinner. A dinner they are paying for as well. You are stepping on that persons rights, to express yours just because you want to. That is not what I want my country to become. Just like I wouldnt want to see two guys making out when Im trying to eat.

legal or not, what in your mind would posses you to take a rifle into a chain restaraunt? Flame away, but I think alot of the people who OC shouldnt. And when I see half a wanna be thug, or fake paramilitary wanna bes, knowing I could disarm them with little to no effort because they have no real training all I can think is you are hurting the cause of gun ownership in this country.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    blahblahblahblahblahblahblah Personally I could care less if people OC....but the vast majority of people who post here about it seem to do it just for the shock value. Just to see other peoples reactions. IMO this is wrong and shows something lacking from that persons mentality. Do you really need attention that badly? I CC everywhere I go and go thru a reasonable amount of effort to make sure it stays that way.

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah
    legal or not, what in your mind would posses you to take a rifle into a chain restaraunt? Flame away, but I think alot of the people who OC shouldnt. And when I see half a wanna be thug, or fake paramilitary wanna bes, knowing I could disarm them with little to no effort because they have no real training all I can think is you are hurting the cause of gun ownership in this country.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast