Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I Carry

(Jefferson County)

Default Why I Carry

Howdy all, I'm newer, I haven't **quite** made it to an introduction yet, not real good with the "Hi, I'm John and I..." etc...So anyway, here's a couple stories for you all, consider this my introduction.

I work for a local owned franchised pizza shop some of you may be familiar with, I've worked there for about 4 years now as a delivery driver. I've always been a strong believer in our gun rights, and am a lifetime member of the NRA. I work/live in a small town, with the majority of our delivery district being out in the middle of no-where, sometimes back "roads" that are little more than deer paths.

About a year ago I was off on one of these roads, which comes off another one of those roads, well, you get the idea, middle of nowhere BFE, it's about 9:30, the time we stop taking delivery orders. So, I pull up to this house, I've never been to it before and it turns out to actually be a Camp. There's several hunting camps back this road, which borders the state forest. I'm pretty used to delivering to hunters or the husband trying to get a day/week away from the wife in the winter months, even though most of these are unheated little one-room shacks with an out-board crapper in the woods behind it, hey, not my idea of paradise, but I'm not married, so, who knows. A lot of these camps are owned by out of staters that love to come into take out the white tail that are so plentiful around here. So anyway, I roll up to this little shack, and knock on the door, doing my pleasantries, exchanging pizza for money, I don't honestly remember what all he ordered or what his total was but after I'll never forget what happened after I gave him his change. I handed him whatever I owed him back, which he took, and looked at, then looked up at me, and with a thicker New York accent said while reaching behind his back, "So, man, how much money DO you have on you right now?" I'm somewhat dumbstruck that someone would actually ask this, and of course my "Oh Sh*t" gears start turning, but I at first think, hey, maybe he's just a few beers too far in to realize how that sounded. The next second the was a metallic click and I saw him bring a knife out from behind him. Well, there goes the idea its harmless. I started backing up slowly, my hands in front of me, no sudden moves saying "Hey man, all I'm going to say is what's in my pocket is no where near worth doing this."
    He seemed to think about this for a second (or blinked out of consciousness for a moment, hard to tell, he wreaked like a brewery...) and then started to say something else, before a car pulled up in the driveway behind us. He put the knife away and I left, calling police as soon as I had cell service.

Now, I'm a big guy, 6'2"ish, built pretty solidly, and I've been in my fair share of scrapes (everyone likes to take out the big guy...or try to) but I'm not a cocky idiot, I might be a brick wall at times but a 4-inch blade can do some serious damage to me, and I don't want to tussle if I think there's a chance I won't be able to survive it. I got a Glock 22 for my 21st birthday, and I started reading this site shortly after. I read everything I could on here about self-protection carry and I went for my LTCF. I printed my application off the website, filled it out and was waiting outside the Courthouse in Brookville when it opened the next morning. Sheriff Gotwald was very friendly, and the whole process took maybe 15 minutes. He took a picture in the office for my License, and then We struck up a conversation about the weather and our choice of Glocks.

So, anyway, a lot of blah blah etc to say, Thanks for the information I gathered before hand that made the process easier, and preparing me for some of the BS I hear people experiencing in getting their LTCF (Which none of which was present in Jefferson Co, I might add, the Sheriff is very pro-carry)

I carry my G22 any day I'm working now, with the boss's permission as well! I would like to say I'm fortunate for living in such a protection-friendly part of the state, after reading several of the "horror" stories here. Infact, no ones said anything negative about my pistol, even if I'm OCing. Hah, just today actually I was on a delivery and noticed a van was slowly backing out of a parking space at Sheetz with no driver. I parked, ran over and threw it in park before heading in to inform the owner. She was an elderly woman, and obviously shaken over it, so I walked her back to her car, and while asking if she was alright she asked which department I was with so she could thank them for their officer's actions. I just smiled and replied I wasn't with a department, I just carried for protection, and she said "Oh, my son does the same thing! You just seem really official, too!"

And I wasn't even wearing my PSP hat today!

Edit: Oh, and ZRT Sector 1 clear as of 23:10 07-02-10 =)
    Last edited by TheFue; February 8th, 2010 at 12:13 AM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Why I Carry

Welcome to the site.

And that was a damn fine introduction. You will learn much here, make many friends and meet a few assholes

(Centre County)

Post deleted by poster, as I am, doing to almost all my posts.
    Last edited by TheF00L; April 13th, 2010 at 07:19 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Welcome to the site.

And that was a damn fine introduction. You will learn much here, make many friends and meet a few assholes
    A few new assholes I take it? Haha! I'm a Delivery Driver, I meet the cream of the crop everyday, I can be a bit of an asshole myself even, if I have to be.

(Monroe County)

Sometimes being an asshole can be a great way to make new friends!
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Westmoreland County)

Welcome to PAFOA. How did the knife incident turn out?

(Lycoming County)

So, do delivery guys get the "benefits" that I see on the internet all the time. Please don't tell me their fiction and those videos are staged I still giggle when I ask my Wife if she wants sausage on her pizza

Welcome aboard.

Be safe (and get DiGiorno).

Scott

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFue View Post

< cropped to save space>

So, anyway, a lot of blah blah etc to say, Thanks for the information I gathered before hand that made the process easier, and preparing me for some of the BS I hear people experiencing in getting their LTCF (Which none of which was present in Jefferson Co, I might add, the Sheriff is very pro-carry)

< cropped to save space>

Edit: Oh, and ZRT Sector 1 clear as of 23:10 07-02-10 =)
    Pro-carry doesn't even come close to describing Carl. ....hell, he's a Federally licensed gun dealer, which him and his wife run a gunshop out of their house.

Carl is pro-gun, pro-carry, pro-hunting, pro-NFA, etc, etc, etc..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

Welcome aboard!

It's fun to be an asshole...people don't expect as much.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Blair County)

so what did the police do?

I guess he forgot he wasnt in New York, where his victims are normally unarmed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast