Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Question First handgun, need advice.

I'm turning 21 in a few weeks, and am starting to look for my first handgun. I'm just trying to get some input on where to go.

I actually have an idea in the direction of what i want. I'd like to get something;
    1) chambered in .22LR. why? i have lots of ammo for it also, it's a starter gun, and i want something that won't make me flinch every time

2) Fairly long barreled /large. yes, i know, .22s tend to be small, but i have fairly large hands. I like my gun to be bigger than my hand, which means i'd like to avoid itty bitty guns like the Taurus 22. if it helps, the pellet pistol i'm currenly shooting has about an 11 inch barrel, and weighs...i dunno, a lot. several pounds.

3)preferably not a single action revolver. while my primary purpose here is target shooting and plinking, i do plan on carrying it when i'm out, and i don't want to have to pull back the hammer for every shot in an emergency...however, i may just be plain wrong here.

EDIT: Yes, i know a .22 doesn't make an ideal carry gun. it's not really the reason i want it, just a side effect. nostly, need a plinker. if you have any decent carry suggestions, you are welcome to include them, but i stress that what i really need is a reliable gun to learn with.

that being said,any ideas/guns to get/ones to stay away from?
    Last edited by MischaBurns; February 7th, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: First handgun, need advice.

If you plan to carry I would not want a .22. Maybe consider a 9mm. But if you want a .22 the ruger 22/45 is always nice.

(Centre County)

You can get Double Action revolvers in .22 that have longer barrels. Taurus makes them, S&W makes them, and if you're lucky, you may be able to find one of the Ruger DA's in .22. The Ruger autos are extremely strong and not badly priced. The 22/45 model has a polymer frame and the grip angle is like a .45 auto. The standard model has an all metal frame and the grip angle is more like a Luger. I really wouldn't discount a single action. The Ruger Super Single Six is chambered in .22LR and also comes with a .22 MAg cylinder so you have a choice. Again one of the strongest revolvers you can get and you'd be surprised in how fast you can shoot it with a little practice.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lawrence County)

Browning BuckMark or Ruger 22/45.

Both time tested pieces.

Lycancan'tgowrongthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I have a Ruger MKIII that would serve as a great training pistol. I am not so sure it would be something to carry for self defense purposes, but I guess it wouldn't be totally out of the question.
    Jules

(Chester County)

+1 for the Ruger MKIII 22/45. I have one and it runs like a champ.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Avoid the urge to buy the-one-and-only handgun for all uses. It doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by MischaBurns View Post
    I actually have an idea in the direction of what i want. I'd like to get something;
    1) chambered in .22LR. why? i have lots of ammo for it also, it's a starter gun, and i want something that won't make me flinch every time
    22s are ideal for this.

2) Fairly long barreled /large. yes, i know, .22s tend to be small, but i have fairly large hands.
    Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark series. My experiences are with the Ruger and older Colts. It appears the current production of Ruger Mk IIIs and 22/45s are limited to 6.88" barrels. I recall the older Mk.II models were offered with longer barrels, somewhere in the 10" region. If you want the 10" barrel, look towards secondary sources (used guns, online auctions, gun shows, etc) as Ruger discontinued the Mk II around 2005.

3)preferably not a single action revolver. while my primary purpose here is target shooting and plinking, i do plan on carrying it when i'm out, ...however, i may just be plain wrong here.
    22s are not ideal for this. For defensive against anything bigger than squirrels or groundhogs, you should consider a larger chambering. The general concensus is .380 ACP (9mmx17) is the bottom-most portion of the effectiveness range, and this topic is too involved for one post. The defensive gun will use more expensive ammunition, and have more recoil. thus, the 22 will likely remain in service for recreational and training.

Summary:

22s are fine for first or beginners handguns, and make good trail guns. You'll need a second handgun for defensive use.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lehigh County)

I wouldn't even be concerned with carrying right away Mischa. Just in observing your post it sounds like your experience with handguns is rather limited. My first handgun experience came at 21 and I didn't start carrying until I was 22. No sense carrying a gun if you don't have the fundamentals down to safely and effectively use it. A 22 lr is fantastic gun to learn and develop good technique. I would recommend getting a Ruger MK III or the Browning BuckMark like Lycanthrope suggested. Shoot that for a little while and when you develop sound technique you can consider moving up to a carry caliber.

(Bucks County)

You may want to look into the Sig Mosquito. You can get a longer barrel for it and still be able to carry it if necessary.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Avoid the urge to buy the-one-and-only handgun for all uses. It doesn't exist.
    I always thought that it was called a Glock 19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast