Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default HK G3 styl pistol

Does anyone know if you can build an hkg3 ot ptr 91 into a pistol like the ar/ak's. I figured I could buy a lower and register it as a pistol and cut hand grips and have a barrel made or something. Before I even research this I guess i need to if I can get a lower for something like this legally. I dont want a nfa sbr.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: HK G3 styl pistol

Unless PTR makes a current one, I don't think having a 91 pistol is really feasible without going the SBR route. I've fired an HK91K before and it was a handfull. I'd imagine a pistol 91, while interesting, would likely be rough to fire being .308 and all. Neat idea though!

(Lancaster County)

One time in the shotgun news thee was this article of a captured heavily modified hk91 from iraq. the thing looked like a kinkov.kinda crude looking of course nobody wanted to fie it of course
    Gott mit uns

I used to own an HK91 and would not want to shoot a pistol version and see little use for it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JUNKMAN JIM View Post
    Does anyone know if you can build an hkg3 ot ptr 91 into a pistol like the ar/ak's.
    Just like you can with ARs, you can buy a receiver that's never been assembled into anything which would make it legal for pistol building. It might be neat looking but I can't see shooting it much.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JUNKMAN JIM View Post
    Does anyone know if you can build an hkg3 ot ptr 91 into a pistol like the ar/ak's. I figured I could buy a lower and register it as a pistol and cut hand grips and have a barrel made or something. Before I even research this I guess i need to if I can get a lower for something like this legally. I dont want a nfa sbr.
    the lower on a HK 91/93/94 style weapon is not a firearm, and you can not "register it as a pistol", or anything as a pistol for that matter.

the upper receiver that has the barrel/trunnion is the firearm.

the big issue with the HK style receivers you ask about is the general unavailabilty of unassembled virgin receivers to make a pistol from.

your option, if you cannot find a virgin receiver is to buy a rifle, and short barrel it via the NFA process.

it'll also take a LOT of work to make.

however... look for a Vector Arms V-51 pistol, thats effectively what you are looking for, an HK style 308 semiauto pistol.

I myself have a FN/FAL style pistol... its not terribly useful, but it IS very fun

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

it takes a lot of skill to build a HK clone and unless you have the know how and proper tools i'd suggest you leave building an HK91 pistol to professionals. with that said the easy route is buying a vector v51 pistol. i'm not certain vector is still building the v51 but they come up for sale regularly on places like gunbroker or auctionarms. i purchased one a few years ago when vector first started producing them. mine looks like anything HK might have built and while it seems recoil would be brutal the v51 is very tame. i can dump a 20 rd mag over and over again and the gun doesn't punish you. felt recoil is much less than a desert eagle 50ae or SW 500 magnum. the v51 is awkward to shoot because it's front end heavy and doesn't balance well. it's fun to blast with but because of the front end weight it's hard to shoot accurately. i'd like to some day SBR mine which would make it a lot more practical but i hate the idea of jumping through NFA hoops and coughing up 200 bucks for the tax stamp.

(Indiana County)

Wow, that would sure show those gangsta Draco owners who's boss.
    Geez, this place is getting kinda ghetto lately.

Good luck with your, umm, idea.

(Centre County)

mmmuuummmm... short machineguns...

Fleming did a super short 91 series machinegun, it was used in Marked for Death and I dubbed the 51k, a shortened version of the American made 51, meaning it never came from the factory that way. Looks wicked with a huge flame out front. Here's a picture of a MG of the 51k.

As Jay mentioned Vector did their V51 which would be an easier route.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]