Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Lubrication points

I just picked up my 9mm XDM today and started thinking. Where are the places on the gun that should be lubed after cleaning? I have no experience with cleaning and lubing handguns. Most of my experience is with long guns.

I know the rails should be lubed. Should the guide rod? What about the mag release as it is fairly stiff?

(York County)

Default Re: Lubrication points

I always lube the rails and the outside of the barrel a little. Guide rod and mag release do not need it.

(Monroe County)

load your magazine to max capacity and put one in the chamber, then try to drop the mag release. It took me about 600 rounds to get it to a point where I didn't almost break my thumb to actuate the mag release. It's stiff, and it will be for quite some time. Just the way the XDm's are. No amount of lubing is going to change that.

ETA: As far as lubing, hit the rails, inside and outside of the barrel, my guide rod always gets a little wet for good measure but I try to soak some of the lube up it so it's not drenched. Just make sure you get any place where metal meets metal, or there is any friction in general.
    Last edited by jcabin; February 7th, 2010 at 01:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

As I recall the book that came with my XD had a good section on cleaning (and lubricating). After cleaning I pass a lightly oiled patch down the bore, and leave a light coating on the barrel and locking lugs. Also the guide rod (springs are captive on the XD; I understand that is not the case on the XDm) But the book covers it.

The key is not to use too much of the lube you choose. For me when I think I have the proper amount, I use less than that - often by half.

(Allegheny County)

A simple rule that I read was that if it moved, rotated, pivoted, etc, it needed lubrication. I put a very light coat of grease on my 1911 and Sig rails. I put a dab of high quality gun oil on anything else that moves. I put a drop of oil on any visible spring, pivot pin or pivot point. For instance, with the slide off of my Sig, I have a half dozen or so points visible that get a drop of oil. Don't know what those points are? Pull your trigger - what moves? Give it a drop. Cock the hammer - what moves? Give it a drop of oil.

It sounds like a lot of oil but when I am done cleaning and lubing my guns, I wipe as much off as possible. In addition, for carry, I wipe every bit of oil off that I can. For time at the range or for storage, I keep the gun fairly wet. When I am done at the range or I pull the gun out of storage, I field strip it and wipe off the oil.

Just my two cents.

(York County)

Just the rails are fine. You wont need to do anything else. Simple use with loosen up the magazine release. Enjoy the new XD

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Chester County)

Everyone else hit it, honestly though, the torture tests those guns have been through prove to me that no lubrication would be just fine as well...not recommending that of course but...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spishack357 View Post
    Everyone else hit it, honestly though, the torture tests those guns have been through prove to me that no lubrication would be just fine as well...not recommending that of course but...
    Your statement is a bit of a contradiction. You say it is ok to run dry but you don't recommend it? I believe that the torture tests are just that - designed to see how a weapon runs that is abused. I would never recommend running any gun dry or uncleaned.

I have watched various YouTube videos of different types of torture tests. Some are factory sanctioned, others are just youtube junkies.

As I said, my guns get a light lubing and most of that is wiped off unless it is stored or taken to the range.

YMMV

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
    Your statement is a bit of a contradiction. You say it is ok to run dry but you don't recommend it? I believe that the torture tests are just that - designed to see how a weapon runs that is abused. I would never recommend running any gun dry or uncleaned.

I have watched various YouTube videos of different types of torture tests. Some are factory sanctioned, others are just youtube junkies.

As I said, my guns get a light lubing and most of that is wiped off unless it is stored or taken to the range.

YMMV
    agreed...few drops of weapon shield and you're good to go.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Armstrong County)

A good rule of thumb is (after putting some rounds through it) anything that is shiny and you can tell that their has been some contact being made needs lubricated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast