Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default looking for a varmint load for 30-06 for coyote

I'm looking at doing a coyote hunt this summer, but I only have a 30-06. The Lyman manual gives the specs for a 110 grn jacketed hp. I figured I'd open this one to those who have reloaded and hunted varmint longer than I have(which isn't hard because I've only been reloading for a few months and this is my first coyote hunt). Thanks for the input!!

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: looking for a varmint load for 30-06 for coyote

i (just started) reloading 110gr hornady Vmax for my 30.06 for coyote... they shoot well, worked a few kinks out of the load... i can keep em goin around 3200fps with quite a bit less than normal recoil which is nice when huntin varmints... IMR 3031 49.5gr... cci benchrest, or federal 210 primers... shoots decent groups for me, not quite as good as my 165 sierra BTHP, but plenty good for varmints

i can get you some more detailed info on the powder and where to start, don't just start right at 49.5... WORK YOUR WAY UP!!!

I haven't whacked one with em yet, but i see no reason this tip wouldn't destroy a coyote

(Somerset County)

For coyotes, you could simply use whatever deer bullet you're already using. It's not like you're going to be shooting a bunch at once or at an extremely small target.

If you want a varmint load (nothing wrong with that) the Speer 125 TNT or Sierra 110 HP are alternatives to the V-Max if that doesn't work. A medium burn rate powder like 4064 or one of the 4895's should be a good choice.

Dale

(Westmoreland County)

I too would not worry about working up a lite load for summer coyote. Some 3006s just don’t like the extremely lite bullets. A 150 grain Bullet will do what you want. And a summer coyote is no good for the fur or mounting anyway. 50 percent of your shots, If hunting Pa, are going to be closer to shotgun range.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    For coyotes, you could simply use whatever deer bullet you're already using. It's not like you're going to be shooting a bunch at once or at an extremely small target.

If you want a varmint load (nothing wrong with that) the Speer 125 TNT or Sierra 110 HP are alternatives to the V-Max if that doesn't work. A medium burn rate powder like 4064 or one of the 4895's should be a good choice.

Dale
    I also agree our yote hunting is different than "out west" Also I second the nod for the Speer 125 gr TNT for a varmit/ground hog /yote bullet.I can always get an accurate load easily with the 125 TNT in most all 30 cal rifles, I cant say the same for the 110 gr. bullets and I've tried alot of them.

Tim

I agree with what's been said here, I wouldn't mess with the super light bullets like the 110's. I've never even gone as low at the 125's, but I'd guess that they'd vaporize some stuff at the speeds they're moving. My varmint load for coyotes for .300 WSM is a 155 grain Amax goes all to HELL when pushed fast. So far that I refuse to use one as a deer round. Just go with a light to middle weight bullet that you can push fairly fast (doesn't have to be insane hot), and that shoots well, 125's-155's should be what you're looking for. I've shot many a coyote with 180-190 grain bullets, lol.

(Chester County)

I'll try the 125, not sure if anyone is familiar with the coyote hunt that the 287 Inn in Morris, PA puts on but that's where I'll trying my luck. Last years winner walked away with 40k. I forget how big the thing was, but that's a nice little pot to win!!

(Jefferson County)

I agree with all the above.. Those light weight bullet may make great velocities, but really dont shoot that well unless you keep velocities closer to the "deer" bullets. Even with the heavier 125-150 grain slugs at typical deer gun velocities - you're still gonna smack a varmint with a couple grand foot pounds of energy, which those mid range to hyper velocity 22cal centerfire bullets only have about half or less than half that at the same ranges.

One benefit that the heavier bullets give is a longer profile with typically gives a better ballistic coefficient for better retained velocities and ranges.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I agree with what's been said here, I wouldn't mess with the super light bullets like the 110's. I've never even gone as low at the 125's, but I'd guess that they'd vaporize some stuff at the speeds they're moving. My varmint load for coyotes for .300 WSM is a 155 grain Amax goes all to HELL when pushed fast. So far that I refuse to use one as a deer round. Just go with a light to middle weight bullet that you can push fairly fast (doesn't have to be insane hot), and that shoots well, 125's-155's should be what you're looking for. I've shot many a coyote with 180-190 grain bullets, lol.
    Try woodchuck with a H&R Buffalo Classic reamed from 45-70 to 45-120 launching 300gr JHP slugs drilled out to about 260grs +/- at about 3000+fps. ..running about 44KPSI with a duplex load. ...instant soup.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!