Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Heads up:Mec-gar mag needs modifcation for oversized mag well

I just bought a mec-gar 10 rnd magazine for .45 acp 1911 at the Bloomsburg Gun Show. The guy said they work flawlessly, I took it tongue and cheek. I wish I had spent more time before I bought it because I found a Chip McCormick 10 rnd power mag for $3 more at another booth. ANYWAYS, on the the disclaimer, I have a colt 1991 series 80 with an extended mag well. The Mec-gar has a dimple that is supposed to catch on the bottom of an unmodified 1911 mag well. I had to file the dimple down before it wouldn't release without the use of pliers to remove the magazine. After wards the mag should work as the seller said.
    Last edited by Snyda88; February 10th, 2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: misleading title

(Beaver County)

Default Re: BEWARE: MEC-GAR 1911 10 rnd magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Snyda88 View Post
    I just bought a mec-gar 10 rnd magazine for .45 acp 1911 at the Bloomsburg Gun Show. The guy said they work flawlessly, I took it tongue and cheek. I wish I had spent more time before I bought it because I found a Chip McCormick 10 rnd power mag for $3 more at another booth. ANYWAYS, on the the disclaimer, I have a colt 1991 series 80 with an extended mag well. The Mec-gar has a dimple that is supposed to catch on the bottom of an unmodified 1911 mag well. I had to file the dimple down before it would release without the use of pliers to remove the magazine. After wards the mag should work as the seller said.
    So what you're saying is that a magazine designed to work "flawlessly" in an unmodified magwell needs to be modified to work in a modified magwell? Thanks for letting us know.

(Chester County)

long story short.....yeah not so flawless

(Indiana County)

So they are not so flawless when using the mag designed for an non-modified magwell in a gun with a modified magwell.

Umm, ok then....

I never had any problems with Mec-Gar mags, but I always used them for their intended use.

Thanks, I guess.

(Schuylkill County)

UMMM yeh they work in an un modified mag well which they were designed to be used in, and yet they need to be modified to be used in your modified mag well.

Mec-gar is a good mag, when used the right way,
    I will continue to use them in all my 1911's, including my Wilson CQB,
    Thanks I guess.

(Chester County)

Just letting folks know that the magazine needs a little modification if used with a over sized/extended magazine well. One the tiny nub that acts as the stop for the mag well was filed down it worked. I'm not doubting that magazine works well in a standard mag well, but I asked the gentleman if it would work in an over sized mag well and he said, "flawlessly". Just curious what constitutes the "wrong way" to use a magazine?

(Indiana County)

The dealer said they work flawlessly, and they do in my experience, in unmodified guns that they are intended for use in.

The wrong way to use a mag is to use it in a modified gun that it is not intended for.

I really don't see the point of your post, the dealer told the truth, they do work just fine.
    You however seem to be disappointed that he did not also give you a lawyeresque disclaimer something like, "Sir, please be aware that these work flawlessly unless you are going to use them in a gun that has been modified in a way to no longer accept factory style magazines, in which case they will need to be fitted to your particular firearm."

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, if I ever buy a factory type magazine frm Mec-Gar to use in a non-factory equipped gun, I will expect it not to work correctly unless modified.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snyda88 View Post
    but I asked the gentleman if it would work in an over sized mag well and he said, "flawlessly".
    There lies the problem. The manufacturer stated that it will work with a non-modified magwell. They did not claim compatibility with over-sized magwells. The seller/dealer is the problem here by telling his customers only what he thinks they want to hear, and what gets the item sold.

Customer: "Will this fit?"
    Dealer: "FLAWLESSLY!" *even though he knew nothing about it.

There are absolutely no problems with the Mec-Gar mags, as they work perfectly fine (unmodified) for their intended purpose, and even (modified) for the over-sized magwell. Dealer, however, seems..... untrustworthy.
    Does that sound right?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen784 View Post
    There are absolutely no problems with the Mec-Gar mags, as they work perfectly fine (unmodified) for their intended purpose, and even (modified) for the over-sized magwell. Dealer, however, seems..... untrustworthy.
    Does that sound right?
    I agree - the title of this thread should really be changed. It is misleading. Your problem is with the dealer not with the Mec-Gar magazines!
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Chester County)

Default Re: Heads up:Mec-gar mag needs modifcation for oversized mag well

hopefully the new thread title will quell some of the misunderstandings of the original post....