Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Union County)

Default left handed pistol

My wife has had a S&W 60LS and shoots it well. She is interested in a compact or subcompact semi-automatic pistol. She is left handed. Any suggestions?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: left handed pistol

the left handedness with a pistol doesn't really come into play like with a rifle. You won't have the spent shell casings coming across your face. It depends on caliber really, anything from a kel-tec p32 on up. I have a few female friends that like the the walther p99 compact with thier interchangable grips for thier small hands

(York County)

I've heard of pistols with ambidextrious controls, but no revolvers with a left handed cylinder release.
    I think she's just going to have to adjust to standard semi-autos, especially if she needs a compact semi-auto.
    Of course, there is the smaller Glocks. No safety to worry about, and the magazine release is pretty easy for LH actuation.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by donth View Post
    My wife has had a S&W 60LS and shoots it well. She is interested in a compact or subcompact semi-automatic pistol. She is left handed. Any suggestions?
    The only major consideration when buying a semi-auto for a lefty is the safety. If it has one it either needs to be reversible or ambidextrous. Ambidextrous mag and slide releases are gravy, but not necessary. The mag release can be worked with the trigger finger, as well as the slide release in most cases. I say this as a lefty.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    ...but no revolvers with a left handed cylinder release.
    Someone makes one, I think Charter Arms. S&W M&P pistols have ambi controls. I think H&K has a couple models with ambi controls. XDs have ambi mag releases. I think the Glock sf models have ambi mag releases.

As a lefty myself, I can tell you that operating a pistol that doesn't have ambi controls isn't really a problem (with the exception of manual safeties). It takes a little practice to engage the slide stop with your trigger finger. I can't reliably release the slide on most pistols with my trigger finger, but I just use the HOT method, no problem there. Operating a mag release with the trigger finger is also no problem.
    Last edited by unloved; February 9th, 2010 at 12:40 AM.

(Butler County)

Some Browning Hi-Powers have safeties on both sides. Kinda big though. Go with a Glock.

(Blair County)

I shoot rifles and shotguns lefty due to eye cominance , but I shoot pistols right handed since the sights are so much further away from your eyes it really doesnt matter. Most pistols now are ambi, or parts are reversible. Non plastic sigs arent. not sure about the rest. could always get her a glock or similar that has no external controls aside from slide release. or a revolver. sure you have to undo the cylinder, but the weapon fires with each hand, and if your wife is in a situation where she has to reload things are pretty bleak.

(Lebanon County)

I really like the CZ82 for a reasonably small ambidextrous pistol. The slide release is on the left side only but the mag release and safety are made to operate from either side and the grip has a thumb rest on both sides. It fires the 9X18 Makarov round, smaller than 9mm Luger and bigger than .380 Auto. Recoil is very manageable.
    My oldest son is left handed and he does OK with a KelTec P3AT but complains about the mag release being awkward because it's on the left side. He really likes my CZ82, he'll probably have one in the not too distant future. They're pretty affordable too, in the $250.00 range.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...CZ82&groupid=3
    If you want a new gun I don't have any recommendations based on personal experience.

For a size comparison, the following are (from top to bottom):
    Ruger Security Six, .357 Magnum, 4" barrel.
    CZ52
    KelTec P3AT

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

I vote for a Sig P250 Compact in 9mm. No safety to worry about. Ambi slide release and the mag release can be switched to the right side. Consistent 6# trigger pull and light weight considering the firepower (15+1).

Please don't think me sexist, but it seems the number one issue with women and semi-automatics is the ability to manipulate the slide. If she can do that, she's golden. JMHO.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Randall used to make a left handed 1911.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast