Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 3 gun rifle build... opinions wanted

Hey all,

I'm thinking about using this winter down time to build myself a nice competition AR that will run well and not break the bank. I have built a few before, so i'm not new to the idea, but I'm looking for suggestions on the type of features you need/want/hate for 3 gun and AR type competitions.

So far i'm thinking about something like
    http://www.bang-inc.com/store/index....in_page=page_2

with a different hand grip. Doesn't hurt that this is what Jerry Miculeck runs, but a set up like this almost seems ideal for the variety of shooting situations you find in competition.

oh yeah, currently have a spikes lower + 20 inch flat top with triangle front site (i don't feel like learning the number/letter designations for shit) and regular ass, non-free float handguards.... build new or tweak this one?

(Perry County)

Default Re: 3 gun rifle build... opinions wanted

Good thing you wrote this question. The rifle that Jerry uses is for "open". Most people shoot "tactical" and can't use the $1,500 in optics. Also, while that is a beautiful rifle it is largely wasted on someone of with less skill than Jerry, and that has to be 99+% of us! Most people use an M-4 of some sort with a single optic, with the speed needed most people can't begin to use the accuracy inherent in even a plain jane AR. Save some money and use a low tech rifle, learning to use it well is more important than buying the best.

At the matches I have been at accuracy required is not more than, perhaps 4 moa, not something that requires a super rifle. The time factor makes getting those hits difficult and extremely so at the speeds needed to do well in competition. For example, at Topton, the tough accuracy shots are usually steel swingers at 200yds. The swingers are at least 8" so 4 moa is what is needed to hit consistently. However, they must be shot from a variety of positions: prone, squatting, roll-over prone etc. Add time and this is very difficult, but you need to be skilled. Almost any reasonable rifle is inherently accurate enough to get the job done, but fairly few shooters are. At Quanticlo last year the long "difficult shots were still under 300 yds at LaRue steel, not something that requires a sniper rifle, any Ar that the shooter knows the dope on works fine. It really is the shooter not the rifle most of the time.

As I suggested on the shotgun question, get in touch with Dean DeTurk and talk to him about what you need.

(Westmoreland County)

My current set up is an 18" Clark Gator with a Meopta K-Dot. The 18" is a trade off on the weight vs. accuracy fight.

Here is an interresting read: http://demigodllc.com/articles/evolu...actical-rifle/
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Westmoreland County)

Look here for all of the info you need: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=86

(Lawrence County)

I have a 20" Gator, but my 18" White Oak Barreled SPR shoots rings around it with reloads. 55gr shelf ammo is another story.......the Gator's 1:9 twist likes the lighter bullets (specifically the 69gr SMK)

The Gator wears a Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5x5. The White Oak has a 4x16 BSA. AR's just don't tear up scopes.

You should be able to build a .5 moa rifle with all the bells and whistles (good trigger and brake) for $1200 or less. But.....most cheap non chromed AR's that are floated can shoot 1 moa with handloads (it's usually the quality of bullets holding people back).

In your situation, I'd likely drop in a better trigger and a good brake and find a load it likes. I may a put on a free float handguard if is seems inconsistent. I'd also take off the A2 sight if you are going to be scoped. I'd then proceed to do my best to shoot that barrel out........

LycanFWIWthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

so.... for 3 gun there are 3 divisions for rifles? Irons, one optic, or two optics. I read that right?

what about your pistol? Do they have to be in the same division?

Id like to check out a match this year. Gonna need to borrow a shotty though......... bet I can borrow my old one off Roland....

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    so.... for 3 gun there are 3 divisions for rifles? Irons, one optic, or two optics. I read that right?

what about your pistol? Do they have to be in the same division?

Id like to check out a match this year. Gonna need to borrow a shotty though......... bet I can borrow my old one off Roland....
    As for USPSA

Limited: Pistol(any that meet the criteria for Limited); Shotgun (limited to 9 rounds, no optics, no porting/comps, no speedloaders, no magazines), Rifle (no optics, comp limited to 1x3", no bipod).

Tactical: Same as above, but the rifle is allowed a single optic.

Open: Pistol(follow USPSA open criteria); Shotgun(11 rounds max, comps, porting, optics and speedloaders allowed. Magazine fed shotguns allowed as well), Rifle(any number of optics/red dots, no limit on comp size, bipods allowed)

Any single gun that meets the open criteria puts you in open division.

(Allegheny County)

looks like I would be shooting limited

AR with Irons and a 1911

now..... I could run my 9mm 1911, am I going to score minor?

and I notice you said limited, but not limited-10, so will I be running against guys with 2011's and 2-3x's my mag cappacity?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    looks like I would be shooting limited

AR with Irons and a 1911

now..... I could run my 9mm 1911, am I going to score minor?

and I notice you said limited, but not limited-10, so will I be running against guys with 2011's and 2-3x's my mag cappacity?
    Yes, both the 9mm and .223 would be scored minor. You need a 300 PF to score major in Rifle (.308)

Limited/Tactical do not have sub catagories for production and limited 10.