Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Thumbs up Not your dad's Mini-14....Reading Required.

I have taken a lot from this site, and although my knowledge has grown extensively on firearm related issues, I do not feel as though I have contributed a lot. So I wanted to write about something I am familiar with. This was a project I completed, and wrote especially for PAFOA. Hope you enjoy.

WARNING--------- Reading intensive. Images included.

Intro: I was given my Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in 2001 by a close family friend who no longer shot the rifle, or any of his firearms for that matter. Like most Mini-14 owners, I slapped a scope on the rifle, sighted it in and put it away. Many of the aftermarket products available allow an owner to turn their Mini-14 into their desired flavor of a tactical rifle. For most people, myself included, if a tactical rifle is what you want then purchasing one of the many “black rifles” is the most cost effective way to go. With all the information that is available on building your own AR type rifle, and the flooding of the market with these types of rifles, it is cheaper to buy an AR type rifle than it is to go out and purchase a Mini-14 and all the needed accessories, just to accomplish the “tactical” look.

For those of us that have Mini-14’s in the back of the safe or gun cabinet, there are certain modifications that can give you the “tacticool” appearance without the need to buy a new rifle. My goal with this project was to produce a Close Quarters Combat (CQC) weapon system using the Mini-14 as my platform. Is this the best system available for this project? Probably not, but it’s what I had available to work with.

I am not attempting to add fuel to the fire that is the debate between which rifle is better. My goal is to take a rifle that I don’t take out much, and turn it into something I can use and enjoy shooting at the range. I found the uses of my Ranch Rifle to be limited, and I understood that with its standard configuration, it would not be very affective as a CQC type firearm.

Modifications: The first thing I needed to address in order to move forward was a few reasonable expectations for this rifle. Anyone who owns or has shot a Mini-14 knows that they are not long distance shooters. Reliability and durability are areas that I have found the Mini-14 to excel in. My final conclusion was:
    - I wanted my Mini-14 to be shorter in length to improve mobility and weight.
    -Find a durable, aftermarket collapsible stock.
    -Increase the amount of rounds capable of being fed into the system with aftermarket mags.
    -Improve the rifles sights.

Action: Now that I had reasonable expectations and a “game plan”, it was time to move forward with the project and get this rifle back out on the range. The first thing I did was call a couple of local gunsmiths and determine a price to have the barrel cut down to 16.25”, recrowned and threaded for a flash suppressor. In doing this, the front site would also be permanently removed. All of the above work was quoted at $146.99. A turnaround time of one week was given, and to my surprise was called within two hours and was told that the rifle was ready to be picked up. For a flash suppressor, I went with the Yankee Hill Machine Co. Phantom 5M1 flash suppressor. This product retailed for $32.99.

The next assignment I had was to contact a couple of reputable firearm users, and gunsmiths to get their recommendations as to which aftermarket stock I should go with for this firearm. Despite the mixed reviews it receives on the internet, I went with the Tapco Intrafuse Mini-14 Rifle System in Dark Earth. The system was priced decently, and is made right here in the U.S.A. Upon arrival, I inspected for any damages, and confirmed that contrary to some individual’s postings, it was very sturdy and durable. As sturdy and durable as a standard AR type stock? Probably not, but it’s better than the original wooden stock, and will assist in shortening the rifle. The retail price for this system was $139.99. The six position stock enables the user to shorten or extend the stock for each individual user and shorten it’s OAL to further improve the systems mobility.

By way of searching the internet, I came across a product that I thought I may be able to use on this weapon system. A product known as G.P.S, or Grip Pod System is a vertical foregrip that is attached to the rifle via standard Picatinny rail (MIL-STD-1913). It doubles as a bipod and can assist the user in better controlling the firearm and placing more accurate shots in the prone position or from a bench. I opted for the GPSLE model since it was an ounce lighter than the military model. This is due to the legs being made from hardened polymer, instead of the polymer covered stainless steel legs found on the military model. The G.P.S retails for around $50.

The most difficult aftermarket product to purchase for almost any rifle, are magazines. The five round magazine that is sent with the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle is not ideal for any tactical rifle or CQC firearms. With all of the companies out there that are making aftermarket magazines, over half are considered garbage and will almost certainly give you problems. As everyone knows, a good or bad magazine can make or break a weapon system. After doing a bit of research and double checking their return policy, I took the plunge and ordered (3) 20 round ProMag magazines. This retails for $13.75 each.

The last and final step to my project was equipping the system with a good aftermarket site. I, like many people, have been burnt by cheap red dots, or similar sights. The old adage of, “you get what you pay for”, are true to every word. I was about to put an end to that. I wanted a weapon sight that I could use interchangeably between the Mini-14 and my Maadi Co. AK-47. I also wanted something that would put the proverbial “cherry on top” to this whole project. I went with the L3 Revision F, EOTech Model 512. There is so much to list about this product, but I can tell you it is amazing and worth every penny. I was able to pick one up for $409.99. Obviously a less expensive optic can be used to if you find yourself on a budget.

Conclusion: The cost of all of these modifications and the rifle, well exceed the cost of an AR. I am aware of this. I made a deal with my girlfriend that I would not bring any new guns into the house until she got an engagement ring, so what I wanted to do was take a gun and modify it so I got that “new gun fix”, without actually bringing a new gun in the house. There are loop holes in every deal!

Range Report: The first thing I noticed when I got the rifle to the range, was the change in its weight. It felt much lighter than it had before I started this project, which was one of my complaints about the rifle when I first received it. The collapsible stock also allowed me to get a better check weld and tighter groups, since the stock was at a more comfortable length for me. With the EOTech HWS, I was able to produce a better site picture and more accurate shots than I was with the iron sites that were on it previously. The ProMag magazines functioned flawlessly with not a single issue. This was probably my biggest surprise. Last, but not least, the shortened barrel and flash suppressor. I did not notice any lost accuracy or consistency due to the barrel being shortened, but did notice decreased muzzle flip. Overall, the project was fun, I learned a lot about my weapon system, and what it was capable of doing. It also gave me the chance to fall back in love with an old time favorite. Hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed doing the project and writing this for you guys. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sources:
    http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/
    http://www.tapco.com/
    http://www.grippod.com/
    http://www.promagindustries.com/
    http://www.ruger.com/index.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Not your dad's Mini-14....Reading Required.

Actually it doesn't sound like you spent all that much. The mods you had done (minus the mags and sight which any rifle will need) came out to less than $500. That's not a bad setup you got yourself there, nicely done!
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(York County)

Thanks for the post!
    I didn't think it came out to a lot, and I think it's a much better rifle now. Thanks again.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Chester County)

That is a suhweet looking rifle!!
    Μολὼν λάβε

(York County)

Thanks napalm! When I was ordering the stock I was afraid that it would give the rifle a cheap appearance, but after installing it and adding on the accessories I think it came out nice. Thanks for the post!

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Northumberland County)

Very nice! I've thought about the Tapco stock for mine. Good to know it's worth the money. Also good info on the mags. I've heard iffy things about some of the aftermarket mags and kind of reserved myself to the Ruger steel ones, but they cost and arm and a leg for all they are. I might have to get some of them now. Thanks for the post!

(York County)

No problem! I have always had issues with aftermarket mags for the mini-14. I was really hesitant to buy these but I wanted something polymer and there was no way I was gonna dish out the money to get factory Ruger mags. I would feel comfortable recommending these to any Mini-14 owner. Thanks for posting.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Philadelphia County)

My goal is to take a rifle that I don’t take out much, and turn it into something I can use and enjoy shooting at the range.

Good read. I think the line above is a great way to approach these kinds of projects. Rep sent for liberating a safe queen.

(York County)

Thanks PhotoShooter! I really did enjoy writing this, and I am glad you enjoyed it. I felt bad watching this gun just sit in the gun cabinet so I figured this was the best way to get it back out on the range. Thanks again!

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Blair County)

Not to derail, but on these rifles when you fire does the charging handle cycle with the bolt? or does it lock forward after youve charged it?

basically how left hand friendly are mini 14s, Ive seen a few for sale and they would suit my purpose alot cheaper then an AR but IM a lefty on rifles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast