Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Thumbs down MidwayUSA - overcharged me $717!

First off, let me say that I have spent literally thousands of dollars at Midwayusa.com without any problems and have always been happy in the past....

Last week (Friday, I think) I ordered 2000 9mm/357sig bullets and a case gauge and a set of dies. Grand total was $239. When I submitted the payment, a screen from midwayusa popped up and said there was an error and to hit the back button or try the action again. I waited and checked my email just to make sure the order didn't go through. No email, so I tried it again. Same thing. The next day I tried the order again... same thing, and no emails confirming my order. On Sunday I try the order again (except no dies, since I found them elsewhere) and it goes through!

Well, today I have four packages at my door that weight a lot more than 2000 bullets. I go upstairs and log in to check my bank account and sure enough they charged me four times, for a grand total of $717 dollars more than I had recorded in my register. Awesome. Well, I decide to open the packages to find the one I actually ordered. I had hoped to open that one first, maybe even second... nope. It was the last one of the four. Now I have four open packages... three of them need returned.

I call midwayusa and talk to their customer service department. The woman I talked with was very nice, apologetic, and pleasant to deal with. She tells me it's no problem, they will refund all the money. Because I opened all the packages, I would have to pay for shipping and would get reimbursed. I figured this much. Now is where the screwing comes in. I ask her when I'm going to get reimbursed. She tells me as soon as they receive the packages. I tell her that I need the money before then because I have checks that were sent out and waiting to be cashed. She talks to her supervisor and they will refund one order of $239 immediately, the rest will be refunded once they receive the packages. I talk to her and the manager some more and they tell me they're not really supposed to even do that.

That is just great. Midwayusa's online ordering was screwed up. I follow the on-screen instructions. Midway then charges me and sends me three extra boxes. My money is now tied up until they receive the packages back that should have never been sent in the first place.

I know that mistakes happen, but I never would have expected Midwayusa to refuse to refund the money right away when it was their mistake. I guess this is why I have overdraft protection. Well, I've always enjoyed ordering from them... but I guess I'll take my business elsewhere.

Edit: Oh, and I just remembered. I have drills this weekend and the wife is working the whole time the post office is open. Looks like I won't be able to send it out until Monday.... when I'll be tired, hungover, and already grumpy from being forced to wake up at 7am.
    Last edited by max384; February 5th, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: MidwayUSA - overcharged me $717!

not really defending midwayusa but what's to stop some unscrupulous person from keeping all the goods after they've received reimbursement?? if you sold a firearm via the net and for whatever reason the buyer wasn't satisfied and requested you refund him his money would you send him his money back before he returned the gun to you????? a good idea to avoid this type of thing in the future is to get a checking account and only deposit enough cash in it to cover the cost of your purchase.

(Allegheny County)

This definitely sucks but I know a lot of sites have warnings not to hit the "back" button during the checkout process or your order can be placed multiple times. I guess they can only control technology to a point. Plus it's hard for a vendor to be 100% sure that it was a technical glitch on their site versus someone trying to get over on them. They have to be cautious I suppose or they could get ripped off all the time. Unfortunately for you this time you got screwed by the system.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    not really defending midwayusa but what's to stop some unscrupulous person from keeping all the goods after they've received reimbursement?? if you sold a firearm via the net and for whatever reason the buyer wasn't satisfied and requested you refund him his money would you send him his money back before he returned the gun to you????? a good idea to avoid this type of thing in the future is to get a checking account and only deposit enough cash in it to cover the cost of your purchase.
    I understand what you're saying. And I would 100% agree if I knowingly ordered something and then decided I didn't want it or it was defective, etc. and wanted to return it... but this money was essentially 'stolen' from my account without my knowledge because of a computer glitch in their computers. I did not have that money to spend on bullets and did not plan that into my finances.

That is a chance they have to take if they're the ones who screwed up. That's customer service. Not to mention, they should be able to look and see how many previous purchases I've made from them... and all with the same checking account.

What would have happened if a computer glitch would have ordered $700 worth of stuff without me knowing or even attempting a purchase? Would I still have to wait to get my money reimbursed? I don't see much difference.

That's good advice about the checking account. I may just do that in the future.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Allegheny County)

This is why I use a credit card instead of a debit card tied to a bank account.

If something like this happens, or if I'm somehow the victim of fraud, then all that happens is that my credit card gets tied up until things get straightened out. If this happens with my bank account, then my mortgage payment is bouncing. That's just not acceptable.

I pay off the balance in full each month, so it's not like I'm paying any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    That's good advice about the checking account. I may just do that in the future.
    The only problem with this idea is that when something like this happens, your bank will likely charge you with massive overdraw fees on the checking account. You'll eventually get your money back from Midway, but good luck getting those charges from the bank reversed.
    Last edited by eXceLon; February 5th, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Delaware County)

For one thing, this is why I never use a debit card for something like this but ok, lesson learned. I would expect that if you called you bank and explained what happened, they would refund the money to your account, especially seeing four charges for the same amount in quick succession. It was Midway's error, regardless of what happened and you should not get stuck footing the bill. In my experience, credit card companies have been very helpful in refunding charges like this or with just about any other problem I had.

(Montgomery County)

Sorry to hear that happened. You must have been shocked and sick when you saw four packages at your door.

I'm surprised you didn't get emails confirming the first three orders.... usually if there is an order in the system they at least send a confirmation, and later they send a shipping notification.

I unfortunately worked in customer service for an online retailer just out of college and I can understand why they are not refunding you the full amount- actually as they said you are lucky they are even giving you the partial up-front refund. From their end, its part of a policy to avoid being ripped off- you get the product back then you give the customer the refund. Its not about common sense or right/wrong, its a cold bureaucratic policy designed to limit risk.

Before you burn Midway in effigy, you might try this. After you are refunded, write a well-worded complaint letter or email to a high-up in corporate, explain the situation, explain how much you have spent there, inform them you are a veteran, and ask they rectify the situation so you are compensated and your confidence in the company is restored. Maybe you get a $50 gift certificate and the bad taste is removed from your mouth. Worth a shot.

(Monroe County)

Yeah , what the others said, NEVER use the back button, the computer will see it as a seperate transaction, its better to cancel the order and start over untill it works. I pay pretty much much all my bills on line and my bank warn not to use the back button.

Midway is a reputable company they will work it out, too bad you will be out of your money untill they received back the packages.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    The only problem with this idea is that when something like this happens, your bank will likely charge you with massive overdraw fees on the checking account. You'll eventually get your money back from Midway, but good luck getting those charges from the bank reversed.
    not true all you have to do is decline over draft protection.

(York County)

I completely feel your pain, but at the same time I could see both sides of the story. They should definitely look into the computer issue and I was glad to hear they gave you an immediate refund on at least one of them.
    I order from them all the time, and have always been happy with their online and phone-in service. I hope you get this all straightened out. Thanks for making us aware of at least the internet issue.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast