Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Am I the only one here from Susquehanna?

Wanted to say hello from Kingsley.

Ammo seems to be hard to find now a days. Even most reloading supplies. I have been buying all my ammo online. 9mm mostly. $15 per 50 with $6 shipped. Cabela's seems to have stock online but not in there stores.

Much cheaper to reload if you can get the cases or reload used cases. Plus the others. All shops seem to have the small pistol and large pistol primers in stock. and the bullets are easy to find online.

Again hello from Kingsley.

Also your not the only one from Susquehanna. I use to live there born in Montrose and my son was born and lives in Susquehanna.

(Susquehanna County)

Wilkommen! I hope you have fun.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Susquehanna County)

I know there has been a few posts on this but was wondering if anyone has any further information. Don't mean to highjack the tread with this either but. Figured it would be the best place for it.

I am in kingsley. Thought it was part of Harford Township but zoning maps show it to be in Brooklyn Township.

I shoot in my back yard in Kingsley which I have never had a problem with before. Recently a few people that live a block away or so. Have been complaining about shooting in the the area. And have threatened to call PSP on me. I do not live in the center of Kingsley. Im on rt 11 with a huge mountain behind my house that is where we discharge out firearms. all the people who live next to me usually join me and I have there approval. So no harm there. But the others that are in the area don't seem to like it much even though before there were never any issues. But they wont tell me directly yet tell a friend of mine which in turn they turn and tell me.

Does any one know any of the discharging a firearm laws or ordnance in this area. I have been on harford and brooklyn townships websites that shows all there ordnances and there is nothing at all listed about firearms. And brooklyn township states on there website that there is no zoning laws per them anyways.

If the PSP were called on me what do you think would happen. As I have seen in other areas they can not do anything besides tell you that you are bothering your neighbors and ask you to stop.

I know one guy who fires dead center town into a bank that is the bank from rt 11. Its kind of funny really because when I start shooting it seems like everyone else in the area does as-well. It quiet and then I set off a few shots and then shots ring all over.

Anyone have any useful information on this subject.

Are there any real laws on the subject? As I do not seem to be able to find any.

Also I have e-mailed both Brooklyn and Harford Township. Waiting for a reply. However I do not what to get an answer from someone who is against gun that states no it is not allowed. Simply because they do not like it. I want to actually be able to read the laws and maybe see the zoning rules and such if they are available. In my opinion if there are not any written they they do not exist.

Thanks in advance. Really want to get some info so if someone says something that I can say hey. Not breaking any laws and I shoot during the day and not at night. Guessing the ones who are complaining are the ones who are against firearms.

(Susquehanna County)

AFAIK the no discharge codes are township codes. Many towns have their regs on the 'net. I even managed to find some at one point. You might try using Google or your other favorite search engine with something like "Brooklyn, Pa Township codes" and see what comes up.

(Susquehanna County)

I already tried that and didn't find a thing. I sent e-mails to both Harford and Brookyln Townships asking about it.

Harford has the the ordenences listed on there website and there was nothing for firearms. Where I live is borderline harford township and brooklyn township. Not really sure which one I am considered to be in so I figured I would ask both. If I get no response ill make a few phone calls. But wanted at least some kind of proof that there was some kind of communication from who I am hoping in a town official. Hoping they can send me a link to info or e-mail a document or something. Anything more then what I know now.

Ill try to find a few more search terms and look threw both Harford and Brooklyns codes and see if there is mention of anything firearm related.

As far as I am concerned if there is no written code or laws saying I can't then as far as I am concerned I should be able to and fight the issue if needed.

I will have to see what I learn.

(Susquehanna County)

Some of the Boroughs, such as Susquehanna and Thompson (The borough, not the Township), have ordinances prohibiting discharge of firearms within the Borough. But they are mostly built up areas and not the countryside. Unless the Borough or township specifically tells you it is illegal and can provide you with the ordinance, shooting is legal.

Have any of your neighbors been approached by the complainant? Probably not. They can call the PSP but will not likely get any satisfaction, as it is not against the law. I would have your friend inform the complainant that shooting is part of the culture in Susquehanna and if they do not like it they should learn to deal with it or perhaps move.

I would bet they recently moved here from NY, NJ or Philly.

(Susquehanna County)

Thank you for the replies.

I contacted Harford Township today. and was told that there is no law or ordinances that prohibits the discharge of a firearm within there township.
    The only thing that they did state was in the ordinances #42 Section 5 in EXEMPTIONS (which is a sound ordinance) is that from 7am to 9pm the discharge of a firearm is allowed. But for everything else not listed in the exemptions was from 11pm to 7am.

So there are no laws that cover the discharge of a firearm only that it can only be done between 7am - 9pm. Which is fine by me. I sleep until at least 7 and its usually dark around 9.

This information came from the township people that I talked to and they also replied to my e-mail. As well as it is listed on the Harford Townships website under ordinances.

So I think im about covered. Complains prolly won't do all that much besides the police stopping by to say hey can you do this tomorrow or something as I have seen happen in other areas.

So unless anyone knows of a state law that prohibits the discharge of a firearm then. There is nothing they could do anyways.

Hope this helps others as well.

again thank you guys for the replies.

(Wayne County)

one thing to keep in mind is if you are using a backstop that is owned by someone else, such as the natural terrain of your neighbors property, you can be charged with trespass if the other owner wanted to make a stink about it. Sounds crazy but is the truth. Otherwise the only other issue that can be brought against you is the sound ordinance.

(Susquehanna County)

The awesome thing about my backstop is it is my neighbors but I have full permission from them and they moved away for a year anyways. So they aren't even around. But like I said I do have permission from them to fire in that area.

I was going to build a backstop on my property out of fallen timber. at least 6+ inches 2 deep staggered. So all rounds would stay where I am firing at. Well at least suppose to stay there.

But I want to build a make shift firing range out of a long shed. at a specific length. But I am not sure yet what I am doing with the area yet. So that might be put on hold. We will see.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So far I think everything is about covered unless someone has another concern.

(Susquehanna County)

Building you own backstop sounds like a good idea. But use the timber as a frame and clean (rock free) soil as the material to "catch" the bullets. There is nothing better than soil and as a plus you'll be able to recover the spent bullets to melt down and cast your own.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast