Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Speeding with OCing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    If I were a lawyer (I just play one on TV), I would go to the court date dressed nice (not overly dressed) clean shaven and very respectfully ask the judge if instead of losing your license that you take a "defensive driving class".

Also tell him that you have had time to think about the offense and you acknowledge that the speed you were traveling was unnecessary and will not do it again. Also say something like "I have learned from this experience and had no intention of driving dangerously, but looking back on it I realize that it was far too dangerous to drive at those speeds"

I know for many people (not saying you) its hard to admit when they are wrong and swallow some pride, but think about how much money you are going to be paying for auto insurance after you lose your license!
    To the best of my knowledge....the court date he gets to plead his case is different than the hearing with the DMV. The OP should try,if possible,to get the speed he pleads guilty to less than 30 over the posted speed. I believe if he pleads to 30 or more it goes farther (departmental hearing) to determine any action against his license. I would guess there would be a suspension for at least a short time.

He needs to go to the DJ & kiss some butt.....if he wants to keep his license.

I have a friend that went thru this last year.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Speeding with OCing!

Not all vehicles are built alike, especially for high speed. Same with their operators. Not all vehicles are at exemplary standards of maintenance especially tires and tire pressures as well.

Other traffic have difficulty judging your speed, particularly when you are coming directly at them in their mirrors or at an intersection. People make assumptions about how often to check their mirrors based on average speeds seen on any given road. It is human nature. Otherwise, we would need to constantly watch one specific mirror at a time.

Centripetal acceleration is the most often misjudged force because the force quadruples as the speed doubles. So, once you reach the critical speed of the turn, an extra mph could be enough to break friction if you are on the edge already. Unfortunately, there are no clues to tell you how close to the edge you are until it is too late.

Although there may be some politically created speedlimits, for the most part, traffic and accident studies are done. Weather and traffic patterns are taken into consideration as well. Usually, IIRC, speeds are determined by best weather conditions assumed and accident rates. Engineers normally build a safety of 10% in most activities.

Sure, I have been on roads where I could do twice the posted limit or more. But you must ask yourself, is there cross traffic? If a high accident or fatality rate caused the lowering of a speed limit, what danger am I missing? (A blind hill or curve or busy intersection of nuns and school children crossing etc.) Is there a hidden danger I am not aware of that might only occasionally occur? Maybe during rains, parts of the road gets flooded for hydroplaning or the oil build up comes up on top of the water and gets slick or ice forms. I have seen many documentaries on deadly roads and the like on Travel, History channels etc. that cover speed limits and general traffic controls.

I do not berate anyone who has gone over the speedlimit as I have done that. However, posting about it and being disarmed in the process accomplishes nothing really. Some of us are saying excessive speed may be justification for the State Police actions. Some people cried foul at the police reactions, but doesn't RAS now apply?

I am glad the OP is truthful so we can discuss it.

I very seldom do it, but if I ever do go that fast and get caught, what befalls me is not something I can cry about as I have been remiss and brought it down on my own head. And the character clause of the LTCF is definitely something I would be concerned about for some Sheriff pulling the LTCF. That is a real possibility. Showing disregard with your vehicle is indicative of showing disregard with other dangerous tools. Unfortunately, that is how the law is currently set-up and I don't agree with it 100%. I would be happiest if we just got rid of licensing altogether.

I find no fault with the OP trying to reduce or get the ticket thrown out, either, that is how the system works and more power to him if he succeeds or gets off on a technicality.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112