Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default 16" vs 20" AR-15

I just ordered some parts for my AR-15 build, but the place I ordered from has a backorder on 20" barrels, but they have 16" barrels in stock.

What would the difference in barrel length mean to me? How much effective range would I lose and how would my accuracy change?

I'm trying to decide if I should just stick around and wait for the 20" barrels to come in or if I should go ahead and change to a 16" barrel.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: 16" vs 20" AR-15

What is the intended purpose of the rifle and what twist rates are you looking at? While there is a change in velocity between the 16" and the 20", for the average shooter and in average circumstances the accuracy difference would be negligable. Your choice of bullet would make more difference as any decent AR should be 1-2 MOA. If you want a tack driver to hit at 800 yds then yeah go with the 20." If this is a home defense/SHTF/bug out rifle, go with a 16" for the added maneuverabilitly and in that situation, you should not have to worry about engaging people greater than 300 yds.

So I ask again, what is your intended purpose for you rifle, as that will help answer your question.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    What is the intended purpose of the rifle and what twist rates are you looking at?
    Both barrels have a 1x9 twist rate, and right now my intended use is basically as you suggested, a home defense/SHTF/bug out rifle. I don't anticipate shooting it beyond 300 yards. In truth the range I use only goes to 200 yards, so I wouldn't have any opportunity to even practice beyond that point.

(Lackawanna County)

Well in that case, you'd be better served with the 16" barrel and a collapsible stock for maneuverability around the house. With the 1x9 twist, you can shoot 40gr-66gr. A 1x7 or 1x8 will shoot higher grains, but for what you what a 1x9 will be good. In your situations, as long as you have a minute of man rifle, you'll be fine, and any AR with the right ammo is much better than that.

(Montgomery County)

If you intend to use iron sights, you might want to consider a "Dissapator" style barrel assembly. The gas port and a small gas block are located at the carbine (possibly better yet, at a mid-length) position and the sight base is positioned at the rifle position. This give you the rifle length sighting radius.

Example: http://www.model1sales.com/subcats.cfm?Category=2300

This guy went an interesting way an modded it back from rifle to carbine handguards: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=479622&page=1

To:
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

I've been looking into similar questions myself lately, and am sure to be going with the 16". The 20" just doesn't make sense for my purposes, and from the sound of it you're probably in the same boat. I've carried a 16"on duty/patrol for 12 hours at a time, and the shorter barrel definitely is appreciated for maneuvering and handling without much notable sacrifice in accuracy at expected ranges.

I'm leaning toward a 1:7 twist so I can shoot heavier grain 73's but 1:9 is pretty standard and should be more than sufficient.

(Delaware County)

Not to jack the thread, just a question. If the 1:7 barrel will shoot the heavier bullets like the 73 grainers, will it still shoot the 45 and 55 grainers as wel as the 1:9 barrel does???? Thanks!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    If you intend to use iron sights, you might want to consider a "Dissapator" style barrel assembly. The gas port and a small gas block are located at the carbine (possibly better yet, at a mid-length) position and the sight base is positioned at the rifle position. This give you the rifle length sighting radius.

Example: http://www.model1sales.com/subcats.cfm?Category=2300

This guy went an interesting way an modded it back from rifle to carbine handguards: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=479622&page=1

To:

That could be one of the worst attempted builds I have ever seen. I threw up in my mouth just looking...
    Last edited by d90king; February 6th, 2010 at 07:15 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    Not to jack the thread, just a question. If the 1:7 barrel will shoot the heavier bullets like the 73 grainers, will it still shoot the 45 and 55 grainers as wel as the 1:9 barrel does???? Thanks!
    1/7 shoots 55-77gr best... If you are shooting lighter than that, I would say go 1/9, but in all honesty most ammo you will find will be 55-77 anyway...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    What is the intended purpose of the rifle and what twist rates are you looking at? While there is a change in velocity between the 16" and the 20", for the average shooter and in average circumstances the accuracy difference would be negligable. Your choice of bullet would make more difference as any decent AR should be 1-2 MOA. If you want a tack driver to hit at 800 yds then yeah go with the 20." If this is a home defense/SHTF/bug out rifle, go with a 16" for the added maneuverabilitly and in that situation, you should not have to worry about engaging people greater than 300 yds.

So I ask again, what is your intended purpose for you rifle, as that will help answer your question.
    What load in 5.56 takes you to 800 yds?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast