Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Any EMT or Paramedics out there!

Wow, I'm working on the wrong side of the state. In eastern rural Pa, the stating wage is below mid teens.

Some Stations work a 24 hour shift, and have a thing they call sleep time where you don't get paid for the full 24 unless you are out on a call.
    On the upper side of this, You only have to work 5 full days out of a 2 week period.

One reward is really helping those in need, You'll know when you meet them.

Down side, You have the frequent flyers. Just seeking pills. You can never please them no matter what you do. And of course they never want to go to the nearest hospital( being they Dr. Will not prescribe the pills they seek).

Another down side, If you have a weak stomach that cant handle sites and smells at close range, then You probly should find another field.

They choice is yours my friend, and the good seems to out weigh the bad.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ccgmedic View Post
    The sallery depends on which state you get certified in. There is
    a difference in pay between NJ and PA for new medics, part time and per diems. Starting pay for a new medic is $22.00 in northern NJ. In NJ remeber all medics are run out of a hosiptal. This is different than in PA. PA medics start in the mid to high teens per hour.

The hours are 12 hour shifts. some places use a power truck that runs 8 hours.

The job itself is awesome. I have been doing this for 12 years and still love it.

NJ and Pa require national registry certification. in some cases you can go to an accellerated program and be done in a year. It typically takes 2 years to complete.

A common misconception is that "emt's" are all the same. This is not rue. There are various levels of state certification which require different levels of schooling... Ie first responder, EMT - b, EMT- I, EMT - P.

And once you obtain your state certification there is a continuing eduation requirement to maintain it as active. This varies as to where you go. The only standardized continuing education requirements is for your National Certification.

The least favorite part of the ems gig is working the holidays. some places have their own version of constitues a holiday.

The one big drawback is the risk of catching a bug and bringing it home. But you get trained on how to maintain body substance isolation and have good sanitary habits.

You do meet great people. They are a special group that run towards the problem when everyone else is going away.

EMS is not for everybody. There is not alot of money in it as compared to what RN's get paid.

PA has regional medical councils that oversee the local ems agencies. They provide/track medical command status, ceu's ect.

Most every unit requires you to take a defensive driving course of some type. This is usually good for a discount on your car insurance in some instances.

becoming a paramedic is the best training on how to maintain your cool in chaos and get a job done.

In NJ the squads do the rescue at motor vehicle accidients. In many other places the fire dept does it. So you can take CEU's on vehicle extrication, rope rescue, trench rescue... the list goes on and on. There is bound to be an intresting topic that you like. Generally, the bls certification is free in NJ as it is paid for tby the EMS training fund for volunteers. I am not sure about PA. There are some squads that have the fee waived by the Northhampton comunity college if you volunteer in an area that the squad covers.

Some squads have a ride along program to help recruit new members./ This is where you can see what it is all about.

i hope this helped.

Chris

I hope this helped.

Chris gave a lot of helpful information for the medic side of things. Before you become a medic you must be a EMT (for a year I believe) EMT is a 6 month course that is sanctioned per state. There is a national certification that you can get but is not required. You can check out the PA eastern ems councils website for a Class near you (google it, I don't have the address off hand.) . I live in eastern Pa and if you join a station they will pay for the cost of the books and the class. So you can get your certification for free in return for some volunteer work.

I really cant say much about the pay of an EMT because Ive been a volunteer for the last 6 years. But from the rumors I hear its between 11 and 12.50 starting.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Nikki
    Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! ~Les Mis

(Blair County)

Well for where I am, i've found that at the moment i can only take the first responders course. They also have the EMT-B certifications but not at the right times for me. Is there a position I can get into with the First Responder certification under my belt? If so that'd probably be best as it could get me some valuable experience on the way.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedwho View Post
    Well for where I am, i've found that at the moment i can only take the first responders course. They also have the EMT-B certifications but not at the right times for me. Is there a position I can get into with the First Responder certification under my belt? If so that'd probably be best as it could get me some valuable experience on the way.
    You can be a wheel chair driver for a transport facility. Without an EMT-B you can't work on a 911 ambulance. Best of luck to you.

Nikki

Take EMT...I won't put down the program, as I taught it for a number of years, but it is mostly common sense advanced first aid, if you passed high school, and you can manage some studying, you can pass EMT. CFR will get you nowhere in life. Take EMT, then if you like it maybe pick up some college level biology courses at your local community college and see if you could manage a medic course (figure spending 8-15k on a Paramedic class).
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Northumberland County)

Everyone raised good points about the profession. Not to rain on anyone's parade, I love my job as a medic and i've been doing this a little over 2 years. The pay isn't there and neither are the benefits in my neck of the woods at least. It's not worth the time or effort to do the job around where I am, honestly I feel burnt out with the long hours, low pay, and mis treatment you sometimes get from people. Honestly get an education as a RN and make some money and actually do less work than a paramedic on a busy truck. Any questions send me a pm, i'm willing to answer any you have.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jjgrappler View Post
    Everyone raised good points about the profession. Not to rain on anyone's parade, I love my job as a medic and i've been doing this a little over 2 years. The pay isn't there and neither are the benefits in my neck of the woods at least. It's not worth the time or effort to do the job around where I am, honestly I feel burnt out with the long hours, low pay, and mis treatment you sometimes get from people. Honestly get an education as a RN and make some money and actually do less work than a paramedic on a busy truck. Any questions send me a pm, i'm willing to answer any you have.
    Why dont you go back to school and bridge to be a PHRN or HP, not sure what they call them up your way. Then you have a better toybox and more protocols to follow without calling command. Im currently an EMT and a nursing student. I plan on working Per Diem as a PHRN to supplement income just in case the hospitals dont start hiring full time in my area.

I'm sorry to hear that your burnt out. Some people are just ungrateful no matter what you do. I hope things start going better for you. But its a good point you brought up. There is a high burnout rate among EMS personnel.

Good luck to you both!

Nikki

(Blair County)

Ok well my local amed is hiring for a transport driver, does a position like this require any certifications or should i just go ahead and apply? Im thinking it would be a good foot in the door since id like to be working for them when i do get my emt certification. Any thoughts?

Ok well my local amed is hiring for a transport driver, does a position like this require any certifications or should i just go ahead and apply? Im thinking it would be a good foot in the door since id like to be working for them when i do get my emt certification. Any thoughts?

I have had a few students do this. They have issues working and going to class, but aside from that, they like to see people upgrade. I know they had to be First Responders to drive the wheel chair bus.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Blair County)

Oh no, today i've noticed that the class im looking to take on March 11th is actually set in 2009. Its among a list of mostly 2010 classes. Does anyone know who I can contact to find out exactly? The web site with the list is
    ( saems.com ) and its under education for the FR. Also, im looking at the one at Logan FD tuesday and thursday evenings. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12