Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Any EMT or Paramedics out there!

Hello all, looking to find a EMT or Paramedic in the Blair county to ask a few questions. Looking to make a career change and need first hand info/stories. Maybe a day at the range and some friendly bs'in. Anyone out there?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Any EMT or Paramedics out there!

I paged someone for you.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northampton County)

I'm not from Blair county, but I'd be more than willing to answer any questions you have about EMS. Feel free to send me a PM.

Nikki
    Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! ~Les Mis

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I paged someone for you.

You rang!

rusted, I am a paramedic up in Centre county. I'd be more than happy to meet up sometime and give you some answers. Drop me a line and we can see how our schedules may align.

Cheers,
    josh!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Blair County)

If that falls through I think the g\f knows about half of the guys down here in Blair so maybe I could fandangle something.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Dauphin County)

EMT on a WSAR team in Dauphin

(Northampton County)

Northampton county PA... PAramedic and New Jersey MICP.

Feel free to ask any questions....

Chris

(Delaware County)

Im curious:

1. What is the average salary (Starting, Cap,etc.)

2. How much schooling, certification, etc would be required

3. How is the demand on positions

4. Hours flexible?

5. How do you like it!?

TIA

(Northampton County)

The sallery depends on which state you get certified in. There is
    a difference in pay between NJ and PA for new medics, part time and per diems. Starting pay for a new medic is $22.00 in northern NJ. In NJ remeber all medics are run out of a hosiptal. This is different than in PA. PA medics start in the mid to high teens per hour.

The hours are 12 hour shifts. some places use a power truck that runs 8 hours.

The job itself is awesome. I have been doing this for 12 years and still love it.

NJ and Pa require national registry certification. in some cases you can go to an accellerated program and be done in a year. It typically takes 2 years to complete.

A common misconception is that "emt's" are all the same. This is not rue. There are various levels of state certification which require different levels of schooling... Ie first responder, EMT - b, EMT- I, EMT - P.

And once you obtain your state certification there is a continuing eduation requirement to maintain it as active. This varies as to where you go. The only standardized continuing education requirements is for your National Certification.

The least favorite part of the ems gig is working the holidays. some places have their own version of constitues a holiday.

The one big drawback is the risk of catching a bug and bringing it home. But you get trained on how to maintain body substance isolation and have good sanitary habits.

You do meet great people. They are a special group that run towards the problem when everyone else is going away.

EMS is not for everybody. There is not alot of money in it as compared to what RN's get paid.

PA has regional medical councils that oversee the local ems agencies. They provide/track medical command status, ceu's ect.

Most every unit requires you to take a defensive driving course of some type. This is usually good for a discount on your car insurance in some instances.

becoming a paramedic is the best training on how to maintain your cool in chaos and get a job done.

In NJ the squads do the rescue at motor vehicle accidients. In many other places the fire dept does it. So you can take CEU's on vehicle extrication, rope rescue, trench rescue... the list goes on and on. There is bound to be an intresting topic that you like. Generally, the bls certification is free in NJ as it is paid for tby the EMS training fund for volunteers. I am not sure about PA. There are some squads that have the fee waived by the Northhampton comunity college if you volunteer in an area that the squad covers.

Some squads have a ride along program to help recruit new members./ This is where you can see what it is all about.

i hope this helped.

Chris

I hope this helped.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ccgmedic View Post
    You do meet great people. They are a special group that run towards the problem when everyone else is going away.

EMS is not for everybody. There is not alot of money in it as compared to what RN's get paid.

becoming a paramedic is the best training on how to maintain your cool in chaos and get a job done.
    Chris gave some great info there, these are about the best 3 points I think. If you can get past these the rest is easy.

I've watched people go broke and have to declare bankruptcy because of low pay and living beyond their means. I've watched people walk away after their first day on the job when they realized it isn't all sunshine and smiles. I've met some of bravest people on this planet whom I've had the pleasure of their company in the back of my bus but also whom I walk next to in the station. (both patients and co-workers). I've been called every name in the book at least once but I've also received thank yous at the right times that make you remember why you do the job.

It is a profession I would do again in a heart beat though I would make sure I have a back up plan and a good education in something unrelated to EMS as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast