Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default F.I.R.E. Institute 2010 schedule

Here is what the F.I.R.E. Institute training schedule looks like through July, 2010.

The entire schedule is not settled, as we are waiting for responses from some trainers who are currently out on the road. But we thought it best to post at least these courses, so people can plan five months out.

I need a few more days to finish updating our website

March 14 (Sun.) Law Governing the Use of Deadly Force in Pennsylvania. 6 hrs. of instruction. Days Inn of Pittsburgh, Banksville Road, Pgh. PA. 15216 (412) 531-8900. Sponsored by the Pennsylvania Firearms Development Corporation (Georgiades). $90 in advance, $100 at the door (space permitting).

April 10-11 (Sat/Sun) AR-15 Armorers Course. 15 hours of instruction. Days Inn of Pittsburgh. Defensive Edge. (Greg "Sully" Sullivan.) $350.

April 17 (Sat.) Judo as an Adjunct to Pistolcraft. 3 hrs. of lecture, demonstration and experiential education. Kim's Martial Arts & Fitness, Brownsville Road. (Georgiades/Moore). Free.

May 8 Pennsylvania Firearms Law. One day - $90 in advance, $100 at the door. Georgiades/Schnieider. Day's Inn, 1150 Banksville Road, Pgh. PA. 15216 (412) 531-8900. (South Hills of Pittsburgh)

May 16 (Sun.) One Day Introduction to Hand Gun. 7 hrs. of instruction. Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman's Club. (Ferrazzoli or Georgiades). $60.

May 22-24 (Sat-Mon) Basic Tactical Pistol (Pistol I). 24 hours of instruction. Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman's Club (East of Pittsburgh, PA). (Stock or Georgiades) $395.

May 22-24 (Sat-Mon). Basic Tactical Carbine (Carbine I). 24 hours of instruction. Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman's Club (East of Pittsburgh, PA.) (Stock or Georgiades) $395.

June 6 (Sun.) Fundamentals of Weapons Disarms and Retention. 7 hours of lecture, demonstration and experiential education. Sponsored by the Pennsylvania Firearms Development Corporation (Georgiades). Kim's Martial Arts & Fitness, Brownsville Road. (Georgiades). $100.

June 19-20 (Sat./Sun.) Tactical AK Operator Course. 16 hours of instruction. Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman's Club (East of Pittsburgh, PA.) Vickers Tactical (Larry Vickers). $400 + $20 range fee.

July 10-11 (Sat./Sun.) Basic Firearms Tactics (Tactics I). 16 hours of instruction. Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman's Club (East of Pittsburgh, PA.) (Georgiades/Ferrazzoli/Various). $280.

July 30-31 and Aug. 1 (Fri. Sat. Sun.) Hand Gun 101. Three Days. $475 + $20 range fee. Cumberland Tactics (Randy Cain) - Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman's Club (East of Pittsburgh, PA.)

This takes us through July, but it is not our entire schedule. We will have Randy Cain here to do a Level II hand gun course on August 20 and 21 (this is now confirmed on those dates) and Louis Awerbuck will be here for a Shotgun course in Sep.

We will have a second Basic Tactical Carbine and a second Basic Tactical Pistol, and more One Day Hand Gun courses. Randy Cain will be back in September to do a three day Practical Rifle course (one of his favorites, and mine). We don't want to post dates in the second half of the season just yet, because we may have to juggle some dates from August through October, and the changes can be confusing.

Give us a week, and the final schedule should be posted on the web site (and here).
    Last edited by TonyF; February 25th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: F.I.R.E. Institute 2010 schedule

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Here is what the F.I.R.E. Institute training schedule looks like through July, 2010.

The entire schedule is not settled, as we are waiting for responses from some trainers who are currently out on the road. But we thought it best to post at least these courses, so people can plan five months out.

I need a few more days to finish updating our website

March 14 (Sun.) Law Governing the Use of Deadly Force in Pennsylvania. 66 hrs. of instruction. Days Inn of Pittsburgh, Banksville Road, Pgh. PA. 15216 (412) 531-8900. Sponsored by the Pennsylvania Firearms Development Corporation (Georgiades). $90 in advance, $100 at the door (space permitting).

Tony, You may want to correct the # of hours back to 6 for the Mar 14 class.

Hans

(Allegheny County)

Great.
    I will be signing my wife up for Pistol I.
    I think we both might take Tactics I together.
    We need to drum up some interest in Carbine II so that it happens this year.
    You have a good variety of classes. I am looking forward to this summer.
    Sam

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Tony, You may want to correct the # of hours back to 6 for the Mar 14 class.

Hans
    Thanks Hans.

(Allegheny County)

May 22-24 (Sat-Mon) Basic Tactical Pistol (Pistol I). 24 hours of instruction. Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman's Club (East of Pittsburgh, PA). (Stock or Georgiades) $395.

May 22-24 (Sat-Mon). Basic Tactical Carbine (Carbine I). 24 hours of instruction. Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman's Club (East of Pittsburgh, PA.) (Stock or Georgiades) $395.
    is that correct? , on the same days?

(Allegheny County)

What is the difference between "Tactical Pistol I" and "Handgun 101"?

I've read through the descriptions on the Fire Institute web site, and I'm still a bit unsure which class would be more appropriate for me to take.
    Last edited by eXceLon; February 25th, 2010 at 11:02 PM.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    is that correct? , on the same days?
    Yes, same days.

We always run our pistol and carbine concurrently unless one or the other course doesn't achieve adequate enrollment.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Yes, same days.

We always run our pistol and carbine concurrently unless one or the other course doesn't achieve adequate enrollment.
    thanks Tony, I'll get my check out for Carbine I tomorrow

and Judo and Retention and Disarms are going to be on my calendar as well.

(Cambria County)

My $$ and application are in the mail for Vickers AK Class. If things go right, I may be taking another pistol course this year too.

Pretty good line up of classes this year.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    What is the difference between "Tactical Pistol I" and "Handgun 101"?

I've read through the descriptions on the Fire Institute web site, and I'm still a bit unsure which class would be more appropriate for me to take.
    Primarily it's a slightly different approach at achieving the same objective. They are both level 1 handgun classes. Giles Stock teaches "Tactical Pistol I" and Randy Cain teaches "Handgun 101".

Giles puts allot of emphasis on marksmanship fundamentals. He's been instructing professionally for 25 + years and has seen far too many times, students who have attended multiple handgun classes yet still don't have command of a proper trigger press.

If you don't come away from your first formal 3 day class with a clear understanding of what a good trigger press "is", and your next class is an intermediate or advanced class, you will never "get it". That is a mistake most people make. Quality matters. In a Giles Stock class, every shot matters.

He has a drill he calls "so you think you can shoot"?

I like Randy's class and attend every chance I get. Randy makes every effort to give students the most bang for the buck. His class includes a few "twists and turns" that you won't experience in most other level 1 classes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast