Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44mag rifles

(Clinton County)

Default .44mag rifles

I've owned 3 of them in my lifetime, 2 Marlin 1894s one with a peep sight and one with a 2 1/2X weaver and a Ruger, I forget te moder but it was the one that looks like a 10-22, the marlins were much more accurate but the Ruger was littler. I only killed a few deer with them using Rem 240gr sjhps but let me tell you they were brutal

When I lived in Grundy County TN I knew a guy who hunted with a Ruger .44 carbine for 25 years and I was there when he killed a nice 6 pointer at about 150 yards out of a tree stand and even at that distance the .44 was really deadly. He also used the Rem 240gr sjhps.

All of the rifles mentioned are all a woods hunter could want and the older 1894s without the silly crossbolt safety are to me any way, very nice looking and just plain fun to handle and shoot. If you are a woods hunter and like traditional looking woods rifles you can't go wrong with a good old style Marlin 1894.

If you want to shoot any distance over 150 yards you better get a more modern style of rifle and cartridge.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .44mag rifles

I always thought the .44Mag lever action w/ 16" bbl would be an ideal "trunk gun."

(Clinton County)

They are handy little rifles and reguardless of ballistics charts, at least on deer size game, they are devistating, if your eyes are still good enough a peep sight is really good at 100 yards and closer.

In my belt knife autopsies the distruction from the .44mag rifles are almost equal within 100yds to much more powerful rifles like .30-06, I've never had experiance with softpoints just HP ammo either used by me or the guy in TN. In 1974 I killed 3 deer in one minute with that Ruger carbine and all 3 fell right n the spot with Rem 240gr sjhp.
    Last edited by Montell C. Williams; August 24th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.

I have a marlin 1894 with a williams peep and a N.E.F barrel in 44mag , the N.E.F has been used by 3 different folks , one of which is my oldest child , to take their 1st deer.
    All things considered I mainly only use hardcast bullets in them anymore, I have had too many h.p's not come out the other side and without going threw the age old debate , I prefer my bullets to exit

(Montgomery County)

I have a Winchester Model 1892 that's 44 mag although If I shot it now would probabaly just shoot Special threw it.
    Crap I ain't shoot'in it anyway,to much sentimental value to it for me.
    Ship date of 1911.It's a oldy
    Glock Certified Armorer, GSSF Member, NRA Member

That gun has been rebarreled? I am not sure I under stand , if the gun was shipped in 1911 it could not have been 44mag

(Montgomery County)

rebarreled,,bored ,,yep.
    Don't remember what is was originally before my father had it done.
    Glock Certified Armorer, GSSF Member, NRA Member

I would say I like the 92's as compared to the 94's from winchester , the pistol calibers guns bring alot now , there are some very nice repros out there if you ever want a shooter

(Clinton County)

To WMG, all mine went through but they were all broadside shots, I never recovered a bullet but the dammage to the deer looked almost excessive, lungs emulsified and ribs on both sides compleatly bloodshot and about a 1 1/4 inch exit hole.

My brother in law who moved to Fla used to use Rem 240gr sjhp but filled the hollow with candle wax, he couldn't make up his mind between hollow and soft point,I trust the 240 sjhp but to each his own.

(Bedford County)

I have the Winchester 94 Trapper with the 16" bbl and a ghost ring sight system from Ashley Express.

Great little rifle, and very handy to swing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast