Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Sig 522, I really like it

I'm still relatively new to rifles so I'm certainly no authority but between yesterday and today I put over 300 rounds through my new 522 without incident. I fed it a mix of Mini Mags and Remington bulk pack and it liked it all.

I bought an inexpensive Sightmark holo sight for it. First time I've ever used one (or even seen one for that matter). It was easy to zero and seems solid enough for 22. For the iron sights I got a Samson folding front sight for the Sig 556 and a UTG Leapers rear folding sight. After I zeroed the rifle with the red dot I flipped up the sights and zeroed with them, then I turned the red dot back on and everything lines up nicely. I consider myself more of an iron sights guy but I have to say, putting the little red dot on the target and shooting with both eyes open is way cool. Makes shooting so much more fun when you can actually hit something...

I don't have a pic with the iron sights yet.

Default Re: Sig 522, I really like it

Nice pics! I bought a 522 a month ago and have had nothing but good things to say about it since. I actually bought one because of all the great things I heard about it on here, as opposed to a GSG or 10/22. I'm new to semi-auto rifles as well, but the 522 is so easy to use and maintain that it makes a great beginner rifle.

Mine has a small red-dot on it, but I'm considering picking up something with some magnification, as well as a set of iron sights. I'm still not sure what to get for either, so was interested in what other 522 owners have to say.

And I noticed you have black dog mags in it. Is there any benefit of the black dog mags over the Sig ones? The prices seemed about the same for each. I picked up an addition Sig mag from Top Gun Supply for $26.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks. I purchased my 522 at Top Gun; very nice folks to deal with.

I've read that the Sig factory mags are also made by Black Dog Machine. I like the look of the solid black mags better but more importantly I got them when Black Dog was running a sale. If I remember correctly the mags were $20 each on sale and they also had a special deal where you got 25% off purchases of $200 or more. So I bought 10 mags for a total of $150. I actually bought the mags before I had the gun.

I just took a quick peek at their site and noticed that the Brownells logo magazines are $20 in clear, black and smoke.

(Monroe County)

I love my 522. I put an airsoft eotech clone on it and it's dead on at 50 yards. I finally got the handguard rail kit from Sig and installed those and added a basic tapco vertical grip. No picture of that yet tho. Also bought 2 black dog dark black mags and their mag loaded.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Allegheny County)

I have a recently purchased Sig 522. The first time I took it out It failed to fully chamber the second round out of the first mag. Since then I've put over 2000 rounds without a failure of any kind. I like it much better than my 10-22.

(Bucks County)

nice looking rifle you got there....i think the 522 will be my next purchase but i'm waiting until they start shipping the 2010 rifles since they are supposed to come with sites.