Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Maryland does issue non-resident permits

In case anyone is interested....Of course it's probably almost impossible to get one.

I wrote the AG asking about non-residents getting a permit and got this reply:

"Maryland does allow non-residents to apply for Maryland handgun carry
    permits. An applicant must show a "good and substantial reason" to wear,
    carry or transport a handgun.

For further information, you should contact the Licensing Division of the
    Maryland State Police, (410) 799-0191. The email address is Licensing@mdsp.org

Mark H. Bowen
    Assistant Attorney General"

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Maryland does issue non-resident permits

We all knew that...

Hell, did you know that it is easier for a non-resident to get a Massachusetts concealed carry permit than it is for a resident? The non-resident permits are nearly "shall-issue" and handled by the State Police, where as the resident permits may be issued by the local LEO's.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

The only reason I would want one is to be able to get to Virginia without having to lock my weapon up in the trunk.(defenseless through Maryland)

I doubt this would be considered a good reason though.

(Fulton County)

Red face Re: Maryland does issue non-resident permits

they issue permits to gang bangers in Baltimore.

oh nevermind my mistake criminals dont follow the law

Knight,
    What do you put for reason for permit on a Massachuttes application? I got one, and it said something about must give reason to show fear or attack? I want to get a permit, but am not sure what to put down for that.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Weights View Post
    Knight,
    What do you put for reason for permit on a Massachuttes application? I got one, and it said something about must give reason to show fear or attack? I want to get a permit, but am not sure what to put down for that.
    If Packing.org ever comes back online, you'd have to ask some of the members there. I think I remember some members using the "competitive shooting" and "All Lawful Purposes" excuse as their reason. I do know though that it is rather expensive for only a 1 year license. I think $100 or so..

Here is one legal section that may be of interest:

Certain Non-Residents Authorized To Carry Firearms
    Chapter 140 Section 131G

Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organization group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purpose of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

==========

Temporary License To Carry Firearms Issued to Non-Residents, etc.
    Chapter 140 Section 131F

A temporary license to carry firearms, or ammunition thereof, within the commonwealth, may be issued by the commissioner of public safety, or persons authorized by him, to a nonresident or any person not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority or to an alien which resides outside the commonwealth for purposes of firearms competition and subject to such terms and conditions as said commissioner may deem proper; provided, however, that no license shall be issued to a person convicted of a felony, or convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs. Such license shall be valid for a period of one year but the commissioner may renew said license, if in his discretion such renewal is necessary. Temporary licenses issued under this section shall be marked "Temporary License to Carry Firearms", and shall not be used to purchase firearms in the commonwealth as provided for in section 131E. The fee for said license shall be determined annually by the commissioner of administration under the provision of Section 3B of Chapter 7.
    A license issued under the provisions of this section to a nonresident who is in the employ of a bank, public utility corporation, or a firm engaged in the business of transferring monies, or business of similar nature, or a firm licensed as a private detective under the provisions of chapter 147, and whose application is endorsed by his employer, or who is a member of the armed services and is stationed within the territorial boundaries of the commonwealth and has the written consent of his commanding officer, may be issued for any term not to exceed 2 years, and said licenses shall expire in accordance with the provisions of section 131.

A license, otherwise in accordance with provisions of this section, may be issued to a nonresident employee, whose application is endorsed by his employer, of a federally licensed Massachusetts manufacturer of machine guns to possess within the commonwealth a machine gun for the purpose of transporting or testing relative to the manufacture of machine guns, and the license be marked "temporary license to possess a machine gun" and may be issued for any term not to exceed 2 years and shall expire in accordance with provisions of section 131.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Maryland will not issue permits to ordinary peons. I've only ever seen one, and it had an employment restriction attached to it. He was a resident. If you have documented threats, or carry large sums of cash for a business, you might have a shot. Otherwise, you'll be out of luck.

BTW, isn't it ironic that may-issue states want to see that you carry large amounts of cash when you can't legally defend property with deadly force?
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com