Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Question AR hand-guard cap removal?

I want to install a railed hand-guard on one of my AR's. I have done this before with a DD Omega rail that was pretty simple. I'm getting the DD OmegaX 12.0 for this one (the one that goes around the front sight post). I found out that it is not going to fit with the front hand-guard cap on the rifle. How do I go about removing this cap? Is it even possible? Also, since this model does not require the use of a delta ring, do I just cut that off and remove the spring?

(Centre County)

Default Re: AR hand-guard cap removal?

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    I want to install a railed hand-guard on one of my AR's. I have done this before with a DD Omega rail that was pretty simple. I'm getting the DD OmegaX 12.0 for this one (the one that goes around the front sight post). I found out that it is not going to fit with the front hand-guard cap on the rifle. How do I go about removing this cap? Is it even possible? Also, since this model does not require the use of a delta ring, do I just cut that off and remove the spring?
    To remove the front handguard cap you have to either; remove the front sight post (which to do that you have to remove the flash hider) then the cap comes off the front OR you can cut the cap off (if you don't care to reuse or sell).

To remove the delta ring and the springs you have to remove the barrel nut, remove the barrel, remove the "C" clip that holds the spring and delta ring on, remove those parts and reattach the barrel.

If you want to see details of these parts you can go to MidwayUSA or Brownells and look at the AR schematics.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Default Re: AR hand-guard cap removal?

thank you very much. I called the place I ordered it from and it turns out they have a gunsmith that can do all that for me.