Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Turning a Beretta 92 into a 96?

Is it as simple as replacing the slide, barrel, recoil spring, and magazine or is this not doable?

If it is doable, what about using it to fire .357 sig? I have never seen a .357 Beretta, but I'd be interested in that as well.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Turning a Beretta 92 into a 96?

At one time Beretta sold a 92/96 kit. It wa one frame with two slides, barrels, recoil springs and mags. They claimed that it you couldn't convert a 92 to a 96 because of signifcant differences in the frames.

However, not very long ago, you could buy just the 96 slide, barrel, recoil spring and mag.

I haven't done a detailed study but I'd be willing to bet that it would work just fine.

Of course, I cannot recommend doing this and if you try this, it is at your own risk.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Turning a Beretta 92 into a 96?

confused are you trying to convert 40s&w to 357 sig?

(Bucks County)

Either. The 96 is a .40. But a lot of guns that are chambered for .40 can have the barrel replaced for it to shoot .357 sig, but since the pressures of the two cartridges aren't the same, I want to know if it is safe.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by tomgun1 View Post
    confused are you trying to convert 40s&w to 357 sig?

(Bucks County)

Interesting. I wonder if there actually is a difference between the two frames? I have 2 92FS pistols and they are similar but not quite the same. Making one into a 96 would be a lot more fun. The thought of a ciener kit also appeals to me, but they are costly.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    At one time Beretta sold a 92/96 kit. It wa one frame with two slides, barrels, recoil springs and mags. They claimed that it you couldn't convert a 92 to a 96 because of signifcant differences in the frames.

However, not very long ago, you could buy just the 96 slide, barrel, recoil spring and mag.

I haven't done a detailed study but I'd be willing to bet that it would work just fine.

Of course, I cannot recommend doing this and if you try this, it is at your own risk.

(Centre County)

For all intents and purposes, any 9mm ppisotl should not be converted to .40S&W or .357Sig. .40S&W and .357sig is MUCH more high pressure round then 9mm.

Here is what I found in Beretta forum...

92/96 - Aside from changing the entire upper, the only caliber changes normally made to the 92/96 is from .40S&W to 9mm, not the otherway around.
    9mm barrel fits and functions properly in the 96 frame, it's a pretty simple conversion. There is a possibility that the extractor may not pull every spent cartridge from the chamber every time, so without changing the extractor, there is a higher reliability risk involved. Even with the 9mm extractor installed, it is still possible for malfunction since the breech face is larger and can allow the cartridge to seat improperly against it.

96 to .357 Sig: Not recommended due to structual strength of open top slide, and there are aftermarket barrels as drop-ins. They usually need to be fitted, and care must be taken to check the firearm periodically for stress damage.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

I ran a 96 slide assembly on my 92FS with 100% function, only put about 300rnds through it. I did use an extra power recoil spring too, since alot of what I've read indicates the 96 is undersprung from the factory. In general the 96 has a shorter service life than the 9mm 92 platform. I've seen 96's go down with as little as 3k through the weapon, mainly frame and slide cracks. The Brigadier is much more durable in my experience. Years ago, a friend of mine did rig up a .357sig 96FS and even running a heavier recoil spring, the weapon started having structural issues after the 1k point including numerous locking block fractures and VERY advance frame wear to the point of sever battering in several spots. Just not a good idea. Better to get a firearm designed for the .357sig cartridge. There was a Beretta Cougar in .357sig, but it's somewhat rare these days.