Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Supernova Tactical vs. 590

On my list of guns to buy, I have a list of shotguns. Not many but a few. At the top of the list is currently a Mossberg 590. It's been at the top of that list for a while now but the other day I was browsing at the Army/Navy store in Whitehall and came across a Benelli.

It was a black Supernova Tactical. Brand new. Out of curiousity I checked the pricetag and was shocked to see that it wasn't that far off from the price of a Mossberg 590.

So last night I checked the makers appropriate websites and saw that the MSRP of both are damn near identical. (I know MSRP isn't the best way to gauge what I can find a gun priced at but I still wanted to check)

My question is, if you were to choose a "tactical" pump action 12g, would you choose the Mossberg 590 or the Benelli Supernova Tactical?

Mossberg 590.

Benelli Supernova Tactical

Default Re: Supernova Tactical vs. 590

I think it really comes down to which physically fits you best or just whichever one you like most. Im a big Mossy fan and i have a 500 tactical but i found that the Bens are smoother IMO

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    I think it really comes down to which physically fits you best or just whichever one you like most. Im a big Mossy fan and i have a 500 tactical but i found that the Bens are smoother IMO
    What's funny is when a shotgun is comfortable for me to shoulder and all that, I can't hit a damn thing. But if it feels slightly off, I tend to shoot it better. Lord only knows how that works but that's how it's been shotgunwise for me.

I have handled the 590 and it seems like it should shoot well for me (feels a little bit off ) but I have yet to handle a Supernova Tactical. I'd eventually like to get an M4 Tactical semi auto Benelli but at $1600+ that's not going to happen anytime soon.

(Lackawanna County)

i love my nova! it does everything i want it to..and it does it without a flaw

i liked my Supernova because the loading gate was huge and stayed up, so you could actually load 2 shells at a time, 3 if you were feeling randy. shot well, but since it was the 3.5 inch mag model it had a long stroke.

side note, shot a carbine course of fire with slugs when everyone else was using ARs. I won the stage and my targets were way easier to score.

(York County)

Benelli makes nice guns so I'm sure it would run fine for you. But the mossy is by no means unreliable in it's own right. I just picked up a 590sp, 8+1, speed feed stock and heat shield. So I'm a little biased. Besides, that Supernova looks like it was modeled after a "HALO" weapon.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Indiana County)

I was in a similar dilemma recently, except I wasn't looking for the tactical side of the two. When I actually felt and held both guns, the Benelli was a much better fit. It felt natural and smooth, where as the mossberg (and the rem 870) felt short and cramped. Keep in mind I was looking for one with a regular stock and a 26" barrel, but the feel would be pretty similar. I didn't even consider the Benelli until I saw one in the shop and put it to my shoulder. As soon as I did that, I knew it was the one.
    Go with what fits you the best. The prices are pretty similar, and the reliability is equally as comparable.

(Pike County)

By way of answer, I have 2 590's and sold the Benelli.

(York County)

I love the Benelli Semi autos (I have a Legacy, & am keeping my eye out for a used SBE II at a good price)
    I am also a fan of Mossberg (have a maverick & an 835)

When I went shopping for something with a 3.5in chamber, I had narrowed the choices to the Supernova or the 835.

I went to the gunshop & fondled them both side by side (even though I knew of a used one of each model I was deciding between) & there was no comparison for me when I held them. The Supernova felt bulky & awkward to me while the 835 felt so natural.

I even already had a full set of choke tubes for Benelli whereas the 835 required my buying a new choke tube since the used one I bought only had a lead only full turkey choke & I needed a modified that could handle steel, but after holding them both, there was no comparison...the 835 joined my family.

As for the 590... if you go Mossberg, skip the 500 series & go for the 835. You can tacticool either one but the 590 is only chambered for 3in.
    (I thought 3in was plenty until I wanted to shoot 3.5in & couldn't.)
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    I love the Benelli Semi autos (I have a Legacy, & am keeping my eye out for a used SBE II at a good price)
    I am also a fan of Mossberg (have a maverick & an 835)

When I went shopping for something with a 3.5in chamber, I had narrowed the choices to the Supernova or the 835.

I went to the gunshop & fondled them both side by side (even though I knew of a used one of each model I was deciding between) & there was no comparison for me when I held them. The Supernova felt bulky & awkward to me while the 835 felt so natural.

I even already had a full set of choke tubes for Benelli whereas the 835 required my buying a new choke tube since the used one I bought only had a lead only full turkey choke & I needed a modified that could handle steel, but after holding them both, there was no comparison...the 835 joined my family.

As for the 590... if you go Mossberg, skip the 500 series & go for the 835. You can tacticool either one but the 590 is only chambered for 3in.
    (I thought 3in was plenty until I wanted to shoot 3.5in & couldn't.)
    If I was gonna do a semi auto, I'd definitely go with the Benelli M4 in black. Not a fan of desert camo after living in the desert for 21 of my 26 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast