Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question ?s about PA handgun gift transfer to OH nephew

My Aunt who lives in Mt. Lebanon, PA purchased a handgun in Pittsburgh 30 yrs ago and unfortunately is working through EOL planning now. As it turns out, I am her only relative who would be interested in taking the gun, and she asked me to find out what she needs to do to legally transfer it to me. I know she needs to use an FFL in PA to ship it to an FFL in OH. I know the OH FFL will have to send a signed copy of its license to the PA FFL, and I know the OH FFL will conduct a NICS check on me.

1. Will the PA FFL need to do a PICS check on me under PA law?

2. What will be required of my Aunt at the PA FFL?

This will be a challenge for her because it is difficult for her to leave her home because of her deteriorating health. And, although her husband is a great man, he is not sympathetic to gun ownership so he will be uncomfortable while helping her with this project.

3. Can anyone recommend an FFL near Mt. Lebanon that has REALLY good customer service?

I need to make this as simple for them as I can. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

(Chester County)

Default Re: ?s about PA handgun gift transfer to OH nephew

Quote Originally Posted by RIGHT_minded_lefty View Post

3. Can anyone recommend an FFL near Mt. Lebanon that has REALLY good customer service?

I need to make this as simple for them as I can. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
    1. The check on you will be done by the FFL in OH.

2. I'm not sure, I've never sold one but I think she will just need ID and a signature.

3. Can't help you there. I'm not from that area. Someone will be along shortly to help with that.

If she is in poor health she could transfer the gun to her husband (with no paperwork needed) He in turn could take it to an FFL in PA and do the same thing she would need to do to transfer it to you.

IANAL, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so hopefully someone else will be along to verify what I have said.

(Centre County)

My Aunt who lives in Mt. Lebanon, PA purchased a handgun in Pittsburgh 30 yrs ago and unfortunately is working through EOL planning now. As it turns out, I am her only relative who would be interested in taking the gun, and she asked me to find out what she needs to do to legally transfer it to me. I know she needs to use an FFL in PA to ship it to an FFL in OH. I know the OH FFL will have to send a signed copy of its license to the PA FFL, and I know the OH FFL will conduct a NICS check on me.

This will be a challenge for her because it is difficult for her to leave her home because of her deteriorating health. And, although her husband is a great man, he is not sympathetic to gun ownership so he will be uncomfortable while helping her with this project.

She DOES NOT have to have a PA FFL ship it to the OH FFL UNLESS the OH FFL will not accept a shipment from a non-FFL. If the OH FFL WILL accept the shipment she can send it UPS, FedEx or other commercial carrier other than USPS. A FFL can use the USPS to ship a hand gun.

You will undergo the background check as outlined by OH law. PA law has nothing to do with you.

Your Aunt, if she decides to use a FFL to ship it doesn't need to do anything but deliver it to the shipping FFL, tell him where it is being shipped to, and pay him what he requires to do the shipping for her. If she has a copy of the receiving FFLs license that helps, but all she really needs is the name, address and the OH FFLs license number. The PA FFL can use the BATFEs web site to make sure the OH FFL is legitimate. If the PA FFL insists on having a copy of the OH FFL license, then he can call OH and ask for one.

I'm sorry I can't recommend a FFL in that area, I'm an FFL but located in the center of the state, but I'm sure that someone will reply with a name, etc.

I am willing to bet that once you find a FFL in the area, if you or your aunt calls them, if they aren't to far away from your aunts place, they may be willing to pick it up from her, or send an employee to pick it up (someone should be willing to offer to make it worth their while to do this). If they will do this they should give her some kind of receipt for the gun (showing they now have it) and a reputable FFL wouldn't be offended if she asks for one. If the FFL would refuse to do this, myself, I wouldn't turn the gun over to them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

GunBroker.com has a list of FFLs based on zip code....

Try here: http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx