Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Talking reverse denial letter

thought id start a thread on this. i got my first RDL when i applied for my LCTF.
    the second one when i tried to purchase my second pistol, after the LCTF.
    i was told to laminate them because there unusual in pa.
    any one else have one or heard or another having one?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: reverse denial letter

I never had one so I don't even know what one is.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: reverse denial letter

looks like there are unusual...there are issued by the state police after youve wrongly been denied a gun purchase through the checks system. also they are issued when youve been wrongly denied a LCTF.
    i wasent an angel growing up but careful enough not to get in too much trouble.

(Lackawanna County)

Well I don't think they are as "rare" as you think. I was denied by PSP back in 2003. I had an felony arrest , but no conviction back in 1969. It is a long story from back in the day when police were less than ethical. You remember the days when getting a conviction was more important than the truth.

Anyway I digress , back in those days (and today)it really mattered who you knew in Lackawanna County. My Dad ( bless his soul) pulled some of his strings and got the whole Scranton PD railroad knocked off the tracks. There where some pissed off cops, and even though the whole affair was supposed to be expunged, it still pops up in "databases" every now and then. One of those times is when I tried to purchase a new CZ 100 back in 2003. Ted (Sr.) at Bills Sporting Goods (bless his soul) walked me through the appeals process. I did the paperwork myself, and had my reversal letter in about three weeks. Ted told me to hold on to the letter. He claimed that I would be denied time and time again. He advised carrying the letter when ever I contemplated buying a gun. I have NEVER needed it. I have purchased many firearms in the ensuing years and have never been denied since.

According to the PSP Firearms Divisions own web site, about 11,000 denials occurred in 2008 . Approximately 4,000 of those choose to file an appeal. PSP reversed itself in about 30% of those cases. A few more are reversed on appeal to Commonwealth Court.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

"CHALLENGES TO DENIALS
    Upon receipt of a challenge to a denial, the transaction file is pulled and reviewed by the PICS
    Challenge Unit. The initial response to a challenge is mailed within five business days to the
    individual and includes the name and phone number of the legal assistant assigned to the file.
    The assigned legal assistant works to obtain information that may lead to a final decision to
    reverse the denial, or provides the challenger with specific information explaining the reason for
    denial.
    10,823 denials were issued by PICS operators in 2008.
    4,302 challenges to these denials were received.
    1,559 final denials were issued.
    1,623 denials were reversed.
    1 case is pending final disposition."

That leads me to believe that there are quite a few reversal letters floating around in Pennsylvania.

Mine does not make me feel special, I would really rather have not taken that excursion into the dark underbelly of jurisprudence.
    Last edited by CZ40P; February 3rd, 2010 at 08:46 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: reverse denial letter

cz40 thats what ive found 10+ firearms later ive never been denied since,seems the system works.
    i was told by the PSP on the 2nd purchase attenpt that there was a guy with my name attempting to purchase a shotgun in a nearby county at the same time, so they denied us both....yes i always use my SS# but apparently my twin wouldnt for some reason. I was denied for suspicion to straw purchase.
    I informed them I posses all my firearms still and keep records on all trades etc....open for inspection at any time.
    Its so good to know im not alone in this.
    Last edited by tomgun1; February 3rd, 2010 at 09:08 AM.

(York County)

I have one .... but have never needed it since I recieved it .....I was told all you need to know , if you do need it , is the case # off of it. I do have mine in my wallet somewhere.