Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR9c

(Chester County)

Default Ruger SR9c

I have owned a full size SR9 for about 6 months and it has been flawless. It was one of the post recall guns mind.

This thread here has some good in depth photos comparing the compact to the full size.

Some noticeable changes have been observed;
    1. The mag release is now 'D' shaped instead of an 'O' to prevent rotation of the button when it pressed.
    2. The trigger has been completely worked over so now it feels as nice out of the box as the big brothers trigger does after 500 rounds.
    3. The return spring is a double type instead of a single.

They also have some interesting magazines for it;
    1. Standard 10 round
    2. 10 round with a place to put your pinky finger
    3. 17 round

I now own the Walther PPS which I love as a cc weapon so the SR9c is off my list. Also, comparing the PPS to the SR9c, the PPS is 4.5oz lighter, 0.4 inches slimmer, and is nearly 0.5 inches smaller in length but only gives up 0.3 inches in barrel length to the SR9c. For the sake of 3 extra rounds, that seems a lot to gain. The price is hugely different though. The SR9 is $150-$200 cheaper depending on where you look.

I think perhaps that comparing the PPS to the SR9c is like comparing apples to oranges as the PPS is not a compact version of anything.

I think it's better suited to comparing it to the XD9c, S&W M&P compact, etc, which I have no experience in shooting.

Another point to note is that once you place the 17 rnd mag in the SR9c, it effectively becomes a full size SR9 minus 0.5 inches in barrel length.

So, anybody interested in this gun or do we think it's 'just another Ruger waiting for a recall'?
    Last edited by buster2209; February 2nd, 2010 at 04:30 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ruger SR9c

I'm probably going to get one soon. I just want to see one in person and get a feel for it first.

It's a lot thinner than the other plastic compacts, and I like the grip extension thing for IPSC style shooting.

The price is pretty good, 430 or so. Hopefully I'll find one at the gun show this weekend.

I got to finger the SR9c today. I came away liking it especially the 10+1 rounds. It felt a little more compact than my P239.
    I will admit the PPS feels better but if I wrapped the two $100 bills that the PPS costs more around the the SR9c I may change my mind.

I'm hoping someone at the range has one that I can try out because it is definately on my radar.

(Montgomery County)

I got to shoot one this past weekend and I must say it was probably the best Ruger pistol I've ever shot. The trigger, the slimmer grip, the tolerance of the overall gun were all better than previous P series pistol I've shot/owned.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Montgomery County)

The PPS is one hell of a pistol. After shooting yours the most interesting aspect that stood out was the trigger feel. Out of the box, the PPS is in an entirely different league from the SR9c, as you have noted.

As for the market for the SR9c, it is there. This looks like an attempt by Ruger to enter the police market where such a commonality of parts and operation serve police departments well. I doubt the SR9c will be recalled.

I also recognize that the market for the polymer framed 9mm is quite saturated. However, brand loyalty is a great market motivator and many Ruger or Smith guys can attest to. IMO, the SR9c is an addition to the Ruger line not previously occupied.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    The PPS is one hell of a pistol. After shooting yours the most interesting aspect that stood out was the trigger feel. Out of the box, the PPS is in an entirely different league from the SR9c, as you have noted.
    however;

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    I will admit the PPS feels better but if I wrapped the two $100 bills that the PPS costs more around the the SR9c I may change my mind..
    Two Benjamin Franklins is a lot of bread and will easily sway a lot of people. I am very interested to see how this gun stacks up against other compacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I doubt the SR9c will be recalled.
    I agree with you. The bugs on the full size were ironed out before the compact hit the market.

I am interested to know what they did to make the trigger better out of the box as I read somewhere (can't bloody find where now!) that the the new trigger isn't interchangeable with the full size.

(Northumberland County)

I'd like to look into them a bit more, but I have other firearm and financial priorities at the moment. I do think they're one of the better looking polymer guns though. Actually, I like the gun's lines a lot more than a Glock, M&P, or XD. Still, I can't see myself getting one at any time in the definite future.

(Centre County)

I picked up one of these the other day as my first actual conceal carry gun. I've been shopping around for months, and meant to pick up a G19 like the ones I've shot at the range, but found it difficult to conceal. At $399 NIB from J&E in Bellefonte, it had the definite advantage in price, and it's small enough I can actually conceal it without printing, but big enough that I can control it (ie, bigger than the LCP and a KelTec).

Shooting it can only be described as fun. It's an ambidextrous gun, which is nice for when my southpaw brother decides to visit, and the grip extension on the smaller mag is perfect for my unusually large hands for my body size. My aim was awful (right handed, left eyed) but the adjustable windage and elevation helped with that.

The downsides I noticed are the loaded chamber indicator is actually a little flange on the top of the gun. It's nice for me, who has a curious son and a nervous wife, but I can see it being a difficulty for those who like to carry with a loaded round. The slide is also STIFF! I really need two hands to release the slide from the locked position, and it's actually difficult to just rack the slide, which makes me worried about cycling for anyone who uses light loads. I've been told this is primarily a break-in issue, though, so I'm not too concerned. I'm leaving it in the safe for the next week with the slide open, which should loosen it up a bit. The spring guide is also plastic rather than metal, like its surrounding parts, which shouldn't' be a problem with the material it's made of, but it'll turn off a few people who get nervous with 'tupperware' guns. For some reason the underside of the trigger guard is dull compared to the rest of the frame's finish, almost like someone took some sandpaper to it. Not sure why, but I'm seeing others say the same thing.

Like I said before, I really do like how this gun fits my large hands and small frame. It's a bit heavier than I expected, but not bad considering that you get more rounds than a baby Glock with only a two-ounce or so difference; not a deal-breaker for me. The reversible backstrap is 'meh', as I don't notice the difference between the flat and arched ones. Takedown takes only seconds, perhaps not as simple as the industry-standard Glock, but simple enough for me, as I clean my armory after shooting and weekly; time isn't an issue.

Bottom line, I like it enough that it's my primary now. I'm sure that there won't be a recall, as the safety issue with the full-size SR9 has been fixed with a Glock-type double trigger, and the rest seems rather sturdy. I know already that it's going to be my carry gun once its fully broken in.
    Last edited by legendarylorot; April 4th, 2010 at 01:26 PM.

(Berks County)

Bought the SRPc a few months ago. It was either it or the baby Glock in 9mm. I found the Ruger to be less expensive, yet felt more substantial than the Glock. It also fit my hands better. It has been through a good number of practice rounds thus far with no problems in cycling. I think Ruger hit a homerun on this little pistol. I may start leaving my SP101 at home and start carrying the "9".

(Delaware County)

as far as the width goes, it's worth mentioning that the given width is the width across the safeties, which is the widest part. The slide width is 0.92 inches according to gunblast.
    http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR9C.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast