Allow me to stir this up just a little bit. All of the ammo mentioned so far is store-bought. There have been threads discussing reloaded ammo, but here's a twist I don't remember seeing. I'm presuming almost everyone uses store-bought components to reload, but some guys cast their own bullets to reload with. Great for cheap practice ammo, cowboy action shooting etc.. But what about self defense with a home cast lead bullet? That certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but if thats what you have for most of your shooting, it's not too far fetched that due to whatever circumstances, you might have some of that ammo in your gun when it's needed for self defense. Face it, that's not something that you know about in advance or you'd avoid the situation. Of course nobody is going to ask a B.G. to "wait a minute while I reload",... what's ready is what's going to be used.
Assuming that the home made bullets are cast from a standard mold (round nose, hollow point, flat point, wad cutter, semi-wad cutter, etc.) and not "doctored" in any way other than standard sizing and lube, are there any legal issues to be concerned about?