Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: what kind of ammo can you use in a ccw?

Allow me to stir this up just a little bit. All of the ammo mentioned so far is store-bought. There have been threads discussing reloaded ammo, but here's a twist I don't remember seeing. I'm presuming almost everyone uses store-bought components to reload, but some guys cast their own bullets to reload with. Great for cheap practice ammo, cowboy action shooting etc.. But what about self defense with a home cast lead bullet? That certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but if thats what you have for most of your shooting, it's not too far fetched that due to whatever circumstances, you might have some of that ammo in your gun when it's needed for self defense. Face it, that's not something that you know about in advance or you'd avoid the situation. Of course nobody is going to ask a B.G. to "wait a minute while I reload",... what's ready is what's going to be used.
    Assuming that the home made bullets are cast from a standard mold (round nose, hollow point, flat point, wad cutter, semi-wad cutter, etc.) and not "doctored" in any way other than standard sizing and lube, are there any legal issues to be concerned about?

(Philadelphia County)

the short answer, mauser, is that everything is legal, but some things increase you civil liability to varying degrees. It's hard to answer why you handload your bullets in court and you may be painted as trying to create extra-lethal maiming rounds. Conversely, I can answer the question as to why i carry the ammo i carry very easily: "It's what the police carry" and, of course, the police are good guys and therefore don't use evil maiming bullets of death.

On a more practical note, you'll simply never handload defensive ammunition that is as reliable or effective as modern police loadings.
    Last edited by MarcS; August 22nd, 2007 at 03:51 AM.

(Lehigh County)

On a more practical note, you'll simply never handload defensive ammunition that is as reliable or effective as modern police loadings.
    I know that most hand loaders would disagree with you there.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Mercer County)

I use my reloads as ccw ammo--I have been reloading since the late 1950s and I will trust the reloads that I have been worked up for the firearm more than factory ammo. I fine tune the ammo to the pistol or revolver that I am using for ccw.

By reloading and using reloaded ammo for ccw, I can practice with the same round I carry, which I consider to be a plus (most people practice with the cheap stuff--then carry the so called expensive stuff).

Most of the major ammo producers have recalled ammo because of problems--

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I have one question about what kind of ammo you can use. When I am out of the house can carrying my gun, I want to use more lethal ammo than practice slugs. But I was told that you cant use home protection rounds outside of the house. What kind of ammo can you carry outside of the house?
    You can use anything except explosive or incendiary ammo for CCW purposes.

Explosive and incendiary are prohibited as a Offensive Weapon under PA law(§ 908). Armor piercing ammo is only prohibited to be used during a commission of a crime(§ 6121).

Only New Jersey has laws prohibiting the carrying of anything but roundnose or ball ammo outside of one's house.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I have one question about what kind of ammo you can use. When I am out of the house can carrying my gun, I want to use more lethal ammo than practice slugs. But I was told that you cant use home protection rounds outside of the house. What kind of ammo can you carry outside of the house?

Sparhawk,
    WELCOME to the forum!

The wording in your post suggests you are new to all of this.
    You came to the right place!

You will learn a lot here. Don't be afraid to ask questions!
    (try the search feature to see if your questions have already been addressed)
    It really amazes me how much misinformation is floating around out there. (cant use home protection rounds outside of the house)
    Educate yourself, then educate the person(s) who told you that. They may be anti-gun or they may simply be repeating crap they "heard somewhere".

I'd like to suggest a very good book for you to consider reading.
    It's not very expensive and I found it at a large bookstore locally.
    http://www.amazon.com/Concealed-Hand.../dp/0965678415
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You can use anything except explosive or incendiary ammo for CCW purposes.

Explosive and incendiary are prohibited as a Offensive Weapon under PA law(§ 908). Armor piercing ammo is only prohibited to be used during a commission of a crime(§ 6121).

Only New Jersey has laws prohibiting the carrying of anything but roundnose or ball ammo outside of one's house.

+1
    The above is the correct answer to the OP's question.

(Northampton County)

Just one point of information for those of you who cross over the border into the People's Republic of New Jersy - you should already know that you cannot carry your CCW piece over there - it must be unloaded and locked in a container out of the passenger compartment and separate from any ammo - BUT ALSO - you cannot have hollow point ammo in your vehicle or on your person in NJ. There have been several recent newspaper articles, here in the Lehigh Valley, concerning PA drivers pulled over for some traffic infraction, who consented to having their vehicles searched (seems to be a routine event for those with PA plates) and when hollow point bullets were found, they were arrested, taken in for booking and then fined by the round. Your PA Permit will not protect you. Just a note of caution.

(Luzerne County)

Yes, good tip.

AND a very good example of why you never, ever, ever consent to a vehicle search under ANY circumstances EVER!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    Just one point of information for those of you who cross over the border into the People's Republic of New Jersy - you should already know that you cannot carry your CCW piece over there - it must be unloaded and locked in a container out of the passenger compartment and separate from any ammo - BUT ALSO - you cannot have hollow point ammo in your vehicle or on your person in NJ. There have been several recent newspaper articles, here in the Lehigh Valley, concerning PA drivers pulled over for some traffic infraction, who consented to having their vehicles searched (seems to be a routine event for those with PA plates) and when hollow point bullets were found, they were arrested, taken in for booking and then fined by the round. Your PA Permit will not protect you. Just a note of caution.
    Honestly, I'm surprised they would stop at just fining you per round. Sounds pretty lenient for such a filthy, awful, extremely anti-gun state like New Jersey.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast