Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: what kind of ammo can you use in a ccw?

I used to carry only Hydro Shock bullets, but to be honest you should practice with the bullets that you intend to use. Practicing with Hydro Shocks can become real expensive real fast.

Oh man does it ever! I went from 230 hydrashocks in my 1911 to Black Talons. Now I have to shop gun shows to even find them anymore. And I don't even want to discuss the price...

I ask for them for christmas now, got two boxes last year!

Dutch

(Lawrence County)

I really like handloaded Gold Dots. After about 30,000 handloads, I prefer them to shelf ammo.

If I whip up self defense ammo I can be meticulous on case prep, powder charge, seating, crimp....case gauging....... Many more things are in my control, versus store bought ammo...which is not without occasional problems.

If my hot handloads that punch bugholes ever wind up in court it means they saved my life. I could care less for litigation or if my expensive handgun winds up in some police locker. I'm worth it......

My defense? Handloads are the only rounds that are reliable in my handgun.....and they're cheap. Who is going to identify them as handloads anyhow?

Lycanilikecontrollingthevariablesthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Montgomery County)

I need to find a good friend who hand loads. That is something I just never learned to do.
    That is a good skill to acquire!
    Dutch

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Oh man does it ever! I went from 230 hydrashocks in my 1911 to Black Talons. Now I have to shop gun shows to even find them anymore. And I don't even want to discuss the price...

I ask for them for christmas now, got two boxes last year!

Dutch
    Winchester XST's are the eXact Same Thing as balck Talons. I switched to those myself.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Berks County)

I have speer gold dots in mine for carry.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Winchester XST's are the eXact Same Thing as balck Talons. I switched to those myself.
    not necessarily. the SXT marketed to civilians (currently marketed as the Winchester Supreme "t-series") uses an 8 petal design and is not held to the same standards as the law enforcement round. It is considered inferior as proven by independent ballistic research. The Winchester Ranger "t-series" uses a 6 talon design and is superior to the black talon as it has another 15 years of r&d behind it. It's one of the best personal defense rounds on the market.

The ranger ammo is found in a tan box and says "ranger" on it. The civilian stuff is sold in a black box marked "supreme". You shouldn't pay more than $20 for a box of 50, easily found at most gun shows.

(Schuylkill County)

Hornady tap red box, 230grHP they are very accurate in my 1911 carry gun and others, i wouldnt use handloads to carry, to many horror stories i've read. winchester ranger T-series as MarcS has stated and even remington golden sabres. are all good choices

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    Hornady tap red box, 230grHP they are very accurate in my 1911 carry gun and others, i wouldnt use handloads to carry, to many horror stories i've read. winchester ranger T-series as MarcS has stated and even remington golden sabres. are all good choices
    Which horror stories? Bad loads? Litigation? To my knowledge no one has ever documented a prosecutor who went after anyone using handloads.

Lycani'dliketoknowthrope

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Which horror stories? Bad loads? Litigation? To my knowledge no one has ever documented a prosecutor who went after anyone using handloads.

Lycani'dliketoknowthrope
    It's not outside the realm of reason that whatever ammunition you use could be brought up in an attempt to demonize you, if not in criminal, than civil court. Carrying a load similar to what the police carry lessens the chances since no prosecutor is apt to say that the police use evil maiming death bullets.

Not to mention that these are generally the best performing loads anyway.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    Carrying a load similar to what the police carry lessens the chances since no prosecutor is apt to say that the police use evil maiming death bullets.
    Oh, I think that would be up to you to prove. There are plenty of instances where people believe the police and military should have access to gear that common citizens should not.

Regardless, use the best performing ammo you have access to.

Lycanitailorloadstothegunthrope

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456