Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: what kind of ammo can you use in a ccw?

I use hand loads for carry.

258 gr SJFP .357
    230 gr FMJ .45 ACP
    250 gr RNFP Cast .45 LC

I also use a ton of Berry's plated bullets.

I used to carry only Hydro Shock bullets, but to be honest you should practice with the bullets that you intend to use. Practicing with Hydro Shocks can become real expensive real fast.
    Jack

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1927A1 View Post
    I use hand loads for carry.

258 gr SJFP .357
    230 gr FMJ .45 ACP
    250 gr RNFP Cast .45 LC

I also use a ton of Berry's plated bullets.

I used to carry only Hydro Shock bullets, but to be honest you should practice with the bullets that you intend to use. Practicing with Hydro Shocks can become real expensive real fast.
    do you mean 158gr slugs for the 357?? 258 is kinda heavy
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Mag in the well - EFMJ, 2nd mag glaser safety slugs

(Lycoming County)

Oops, had a brain fart!

correction, 158 gr JSP.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by 1927A1 View Post
    Oops, had a brain fart!

correction, 158 gr JSP.

Your excused......

UMC 380 95 gr MC. . Mr. PPK/s loves it.

IN DOG WE TRUST
    OBEY THE YELLOW LAB

(Jefferson County)

You can legally use any ammunition that is legally sold to use in your particular firearm. The one thing you might not want too use is handloaded ammunition, for a couple reasons.

First off, would you want to risk your safety on the possiblity that your handloaded ammo might have a bad primer, or one seated to high, or to deep and it might misfire when you need it most? You can make some extremely accurate handloads, but they should be for practice and not to protect you.

Second, in this day and age of law suits, if you should need to defend yourself and the find yourself in court too defend your actions and the prosecutor finds you used handloads, he might make the point too a jury that you were intending to kill. By having ammo that you handloaded because you didn't feel factory ammo was powerfull enough to do the job. This can be turned around to bite you in the behind.

Stick with factory and as long as the ammunition hasn't been banned by law, any ammo sold that fits your weapon is legal carry ammo. Just make sure you use the best you can for what you intend, jacketed hollow points over wad cutters for instance.

Pooch15825

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: what kind of ammo can you use in a ccw?

the police are good guys and therefore don't use evil maiming bullets of death.
    Too funny.
    Aren't bullets supposed to be "bullets of death"?

I Imagine an "expert" telling the jury that they make their bullets out of dried flower petals so the only thing they kill is nasty foot odor....

I'd be like yeah I made it so it killed the guy, so what? That's why I shot him, to kill him, because I didn't want him to kill me...

The problem is that instead of taking the strong stance lawyers try to soften it up.

It's an absolute ridiculous way to defend someone that actually did defend themselves.

It far better to just state it plainly.

Mr. X broke into my home, raised his weapon and came after me.

I was in fear of my life.

I intentionally blew his head clean off.

There was nothing else for me to do, I had no choice, not doing so would've meant that he would've killed me , which wasn't and still isn't a reasonable choice.

If need be I would've done anything, for example, say I didn't have a gun but I had a gallon of gas and a match.

I would've lit him up, as horrible as it sounds, because I don't want to die at the hands of someone that wants to take my life for no reason...

As horrible as it sounds, you have to keep the focus on the fact that someone tried to kill or seriously injure you throughout the whole trial.

Of course, most of these cases never go to trial, despite everyone jumping up and down about this ammo argument.

I've heard it a million times, but I have yet to see a case where the defendant was clearly defending himself in his own home.

It just doesn't happen, DA's, no matter their political views, won't go after someone defending themselves because juries aren't going to convict.

it won't matter that you have James Bonds guns or a .44 mag or a molotov cocktail or a flame thrower.

No 12 people will ever agree that you didn't have the right to defend yourself, regardless of how you did it ,so long as you didn't knock him out or make him defenseless and then kill him...
    Last edited by whoshisface; September 11th, 2007 at 12:52 PM.

(Centre County)

i carry Black Hills 230gr JHP +P ammo filled with Spam.

(Jefferson County)

This sort of thing has happened in court, a person defending themselves with handloads and a DA that wants to prosecute. Not all DAs look at self defense as a right, some have gone too great extremes to prosecute someone for defending themselves in their own homes.

Massod Ayoob has written about this in many different articles and in his books and as as an expert witness in court cases and advises in his articles not to give the DA any ammunition (pun intended) to use against you and too stay away from handloads as defense rounds. Just because you defended your life doesn't mean everyone will see it that way and any DA that might not like self defense laws will and has used anything they can to turn a jury against you.

My point it, why take the chance, just use factory and that is one less bullet fired your way if you ever end up in court.

Pooch15825

(Northampton County)

depending on the caliber, I use either hydrashock, or corbon. I like the corbon with my 9mm because it will give you good penetration and very good spread. Hydrashock in my 9mm I have found practicing would pretty much shoot right through the person before having a chance to spread. Now with my 45 or 40 caliber, the hydrashock seems to be a good match up.

Any other thoughts if I am right or wrong with my ideas.
    "Our government has no power except that granted it by the people."

President Ronald Reagan

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast