Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: what kind of ammo can you use in a ccw?

NJ hollow point law... its not as bad as people make sound. There are provisions that exempt use and possession on one's own land or use while hunting and target shooting.

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Fulton County)

Thumbs down Re: what kind of ammo can you use in a ccw?

from what ive heard the fine is $100 per HP round

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    I know that most hand loaders would disagree with you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    I use my reloads as ccw ammo--I have been reloading since the late 1950s and I will trust the reloads that I have been worked up for the firearm more than factory ammo. I fine tune the ammo to the pistol or revolver that I am using for ccw.

By reloading and using reloaded ammo for ccw, I can practice with the same round I carry, which I consider to be a plus (most people practice with the cheap stuff--then carry the so called expensive stuff).

Most of the major ammo producers have recalled ammo because of problems--

oracle

geoff, they would be absolutely wrong. I sincerely doubt any reloaders test tens of thousands of rounds of their ammunition for reliability. For most companies making law enforcement ammo, only a couple bad primers in a 10,000 rd test of a 100,000rd lot will get the entire lot recalled. Remember those 250rd boxes of gold dots marked "not for law enforcement use"? All of that was recall ammo. I don't remember anyone saying they had a problem with the stuff.

I also sincerely doubt that any reloaders test their loads in ballistic medium in scientific controlled studies to develop their load.
    Last edited by MarcS; August 22nd, 2007 at 02:12 PM.

(Lawrence County)

No doctored bullets? How so? Like cutting slices in JHP's to make them open a little quicker? lol Isn't that how they made the infamous Black Talons? That and a little bit of lubilox sprayed on?
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lackawanna County)

Thank you guys for all your help. I just went out and bought some fmj and loaded my pistol. I thought that the information I got sounded a little fishy. I am glad I found this site.

(Westmoreland County)

I shoot standard "cheapy" ammo for target practice, but I always keep a few mags loaded up with +p SJHP's for my 9mm...

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

I carry the ammo that will best help me stop a threat of serious bodily inury or death to myself or others.
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

Talking Re: what kind of ammo can you use in a ccw?

hollow points

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    No doctored bullets? How so? Like cutting slices in JHP's to make them open a little quicker? lol Isn't that how they made the infamous Black Talons? That and a little bit of lubilox sprayed on?
    There is no restriction on the type of ammo used in PA, except AP and Incindiary, as noted. It is unwise to alter factory ammunition. You are not likely to improve performance, but you can make them off-balance. When you are sued, the opposing lawyer will try use this as proof of excessive force.

You can use your own lead cast bullets if you wish. Lead cast bullets are not as effective as JHP's.

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    Just one point of information for those of you who cross over the border into the People's Republic of New Jersy - you should already know that you cannot carry your CCW piece over there - it must be unloaded and locked in a container out of the passenger compartment and separate from any ammo - BUT ALSO - you cannot have hollow point ammo in your vehicle or on your person in NJ. There have been several recent newspaper articles, here in the Lehigh Valley, concerning PA drivers pulled over for some traffic infraction, who consented to having their vehicles searched (seems to be a routine event for those with PA plates) and when hollow point bullets were found, they were arrested, taken in for booking and then fined by the round. Your PA Permit will not protect you. Just a note of caution.
    i heard a story where a pa resident was arrested in jersey for having spent shotgun shells in his vehicle when he was pulled over. he was coming home from a company clay bird shoot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast