Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Warren County)

Default Walmart in Lakewood, NY

Being that I own a business in NY (while being a PA resident), I have both a PA LTCF as well as a NY CCW.

I stopped over at my local Walmart Supercenter in Lakewood, NY (minutes from the PA border) to purchase some Winchester 9mm target ammunition as I had done many, many times before. Everything went fine; sporting goods was well stocked. However, their cash register was down so she handed me the ammunition and told me to go up front.

I did, and the lady in the front rang my items up until the ammunition, where the cash register forced her to stop. It asked her to validate my DOB, which is fine, since it's state law (I believe) not to sell ammunition to anyone under 21 in NY. After she cleared that error, it stopped her, "Permit Required." I informed her that while I had my permit, she shouldn't need it, as it's perfectly legal to purchase ammunition without a permit (and I had done so before). The person behind me in line reiterated what I said.

She called the CSM, who came over (all of these people were very friendly, mind you) and said she had never seen that before. She called up sporting goods to double check, and the sporting goods rep told her that it was required. The CSM hung up and told me that she said she was told it was required, but the CSM seemed to agree with me - she didn't think it was either. I showed her my NY CCW, and told her that most PA residents can't obtain this, plus they can obtain firearms without a permit, as well as openly carry without a permit.

I don't think I had much of an impact because I'm sure she wanted me to get through the line as quickly as possible, so it'd be better if I had this happen in sporting goods. But I decided to email Walmart to clarify their policy just in case:

Hello,

I was in the Lakewood, NY store purchasing 9mm ammunition for my pistol (a process I have done many times at this store). The sporting goods register was down so I was told to cash out in the front, which I did. However, while doing this, your cash register asked to verify my DOB - fine, as I am over 21, but afterwards it said "Permit Required." As a Pennsylvania resident, it is extremely hard to obtain a non-resident NY pistol permit. Also, PA does not require a License To Carry Firearms permit to own a gun. Is it Walmart's policy not to sell ammunition to out of state residents unless they have a permit? It is certainly not the law as it stands in New York State.

I was able to purchase the ammunition because I have a license to carry, but I worry about those who do not have a license to carry - yet still legally own and enjoy firearms (for recreation, legally open carrying, or at home). Please clarify Walmart's position on purchasing ammunition without a permit.

I'll update this if I hear back from Walmart.

(Warren County)

Default Re: Walmart in Lakewood, NY

Now I've done it...

The assistant store manager called me back this morning and said she was very glad I wrote this letter to their home office, because no one was quite clear on the policy. She looked up the New York State regulation regarding ammunition sales, and read it to me.

New York State law requires anyone buying ammunition in a handgun caliber to have a New York State issued concealed carry permit. Their cash registers were not wrong, their policy was, and now thanks to me, they've corrected it.

Great

I told her I don't blame her at all, it's a stupid law and she's just enforcing it, so I can respect it.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Walmart in Lakewood, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Bodero View Post
    Now I've done it...

The assistant store manager called me back this morning and said she was very glad I wrote this letter to their home office, because no one was quite clear on the policy. She looked up the New York State regulation regarding ammunition sales, and read it to me.

New York State law requires anyone buying ammunition in a handgun caliber to have a New York State issued concealed carry permit. Their cash registers were not wrong, their policy was, and now thanks to me, they've corrected it.

Great

I told her I don't blame her at all, it's a stupid law and she's just enforcing it, so I can respect it.

yup pretty STUPID...so now someone that does not own a pistol so no need for a CC permit cant go out and shoot his Beretta CX storm or his camp carbine because it takes 9mm rounds????well another reason I moved OUT of that S-hole of a state and will never go back . or the guy that has a Marlin lever action gun in .357 magnum cant shoot it because he does not have a pistol permit?? just DUMB

and I know the Walmart your talking about as I used to live in Jamestown,Warren and Erie