Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Choosing first NFA toy?

alright, so I've been bitten by the shooting bug pretty bad, and recently the idea of "needing" an NFA item to start me in that direction has been creeping into my head. what I'm wondering is what would be the most, lets say useful item to get.
    I shoot competitively (3 gun, IDPA, Steel, and anything else I find) and would love to use something that I could use in competition. Suppressors are great, but having shot a few I'm not totally impressed.

So what's a better starter NFA that might actually get used?
    I'm thinking:
    SBR an AR so I can run either an 11 inch upper in 223 for competition (quick transitions and easy up close) or a 9mm upper (that I won't lie, will get suppressed) to run sub gun type matches.

Or a cut down remington 870 (about 12 inch barrel) and short or folding stock for HD, shotgun stages, and general tearing things up.
    Or do I get a SxS and cut it down to nothing, like I have wanted to do for ages for no reason other than to do it?

While i know I will eventually end up with quite the stamp collection, I'm just wondering where you all suggest I start... Or should I just start saving now for the MP5 of my dreams and try again in 10 years....

Default Re: Choosing first NFA toy?

Do not get an HK SP89 and SBR it or I will seriously not like you anymore and will become exceedingly jealous of it. Full auto weapons are cute but overpriced and we are talking about classic HK stuff that begins life overpriced. Stay semi auto(hit what you are aiming at) and go for comfort and function. If you want to put can on your MP5k, that too is also acceptable and very sexy.

(Chester County)

You really can't go wrong with a full sized Uzi for a starter. Lots of fun to shoot, suppressed or not, and many indoor ranges will allow it since it is pistol caliber. Even more fun with a .22 kit in it! 9mm ammo is somewhat cheaper too, as compared with 5.56. It adds up pretty fast at 650 RPM or so.
    The MP5 is more refined than the Uzi and smooth as silk, but is also twice as expensive.

(Jefferson County)

I just started the process to get a SBR 9mm AR-15 and a SWR Trident 9 suppressor for it. I decided on 9mm mainly because I could get a very short barrel without losing velocity (going with a 7" barrel) and also be able to install it on my handgun with an aftermarket barrel and adapter. The more I look around the more excited I am to get it. One thing that makes a huge difference with a 9mm though is subsonic ammunition. I found a video where a guy loaded a magazine alternating standard 9mm and subsonic ammunition and there was a huge difference in noise output. The bullet hitting the target was louder than the gun going off.

IMO, shotguns are a good length because of their payload. They need to get up to 1.5oz of lead up to about 1200fps, which takes a lot of powder and barrel. Cut that down and you lose a ton of velocity, not to mention capacity in most shotguns.

An 11" AR-15 is a good idea because you'll still get a good bit of the speed out of the .223 but you will lose a lot of length overall, which is good for home defense and the like. And if you have a .223 or smaller caliber rifle, your suppressor will be able to fit on those without much modification.

(Allegheny County)

I vote for a SBR-ed AR

Once you have the lower registered, you can can easily switch between 5.56 and 9mm
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

the SBR AR is what im half thinking now, too. Plus I could play with it as a pistol before I get the buttstock... now how do I get one of those sweet set ups that has the barrel and suppressor end right about at the end of the quad rail?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Policraticus View Post
    ...Stay semi auto(hit what you are aiming at) and go for comfort and function. ....

get some time behind a FA, and maybe you can hit something too, instead of making uninformed statements.

I have no problem keeping my m16 (in 5.56 and 9mm) and uzi on target.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    get some time behind a FA, and maybe you can hit something too, instead of making uninformed statements.

I guess you want congratulations on hitting stuff in FA? Why not respond to the OP and post something potentially useful to him? Oh I know!! You could post your opinion like I posted mine. It would be awesome if you stopped assuming stuff about me, I haven’t even posted 40 times.

I agree with the others. An SBR-AR would give you alot of variety and better value.
    Last edited by Policraticus; February 2nd, 2010 at 07:56 PM.

(Franklin County)

Personally I have a soft spot for SB SxS.

*This isn't mine. Just a picture I found.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post

Agreed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast