Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default classic Pistol "action shoot"

i am most likely going to be attending the next idpa type shoot on the 16th at classic pistol. i have never attended anything like this before but i have watched videos on youtube and read the rules a little. here are my questions:
    is a glock 27 an ok choice for this type of shoot? i know most people run a full sized 9mm but this is my carry gun so i have all the accessories as far as mags and holster/mag pouch and the pistol fits my hand very well OR i do own a colt 1911 which has become more of a safe queen since the ammo spike but i only have a couple mags (which i plan to purchase a couple more in the future anyway) no mag pouch and reloads are a little tricky with my small hands.
    does anyone know the price of ammo on these 2 calibers at CP?
    my G27 has a crimson trace laser grip, will this need to be removed for the shoot?
    also which members will be at this next shoot?
    Thanks guys/girls.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

Default Re: classic Pistol "action shoot"

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    i am most likely going to be attending the next idpa type shoot on the 16th at classic pistol.
    Great! We'll be glad to have you!

is a glock 27 an ok choice for this type of shoot?
    That'll be fine. Bring three mags total, mag pouches for two, and eyes and ears. Round counts per stage (of which there are two) are typically less than 25, though I've never seen them more than 30. For what it's worth, I run a G26 at those shoots without a problem.

Give them a call for current pricing. I want to say that 9mm is in the $14-15 per box range (non-member) for American Eagle FMJ. I don't shoot 45, so I can't even guess.

my G27 has a crimson trace laser grip, will this need to be removed for the shoot?
    I'll let others comment on this, but I will say that I don't recall anyone using one.

Me!

(Montgomery County)

I'll be there.

CT's should be turned off.

I think .40S&W is about $15.-$16.00 per 50. You don't have to buy your ammo there like some other ranges.

Stages won't be more than 30 rounds times two passes.

Look forward to seeing you there!!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    I'll be there.

CT's should be turned off.

I think .40S&W is about $15.-$16.00 per 50. You don't have to buy your ammo there like some other ranges.

Stages won't be more than 30 rounds times two passes.

Look forward to seeing you there!!
    awesome, $15-$16 doesn't sound bad compared to the $21 at my local range. i'll remove the ct's before the shoot as they don't have an on/off switch. does anyone have a suggestion as far as mag pouches? i have one made by houston, it's a single but the mag is basically glued into there once inserted, i would like a nylon double type.
    are g23 mags acceptable in the 27 if loaded with only 10 rounds?
    thanks so far guys! looking forward to meeting with you again fng and definately looking forward to meeting you ref, how are those m29 and m27s doing anyway?
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Cambria County)

It's always a good time there for the IDPA style shoot. Any double mag holster will do, if you are in a pinch they have them for sale there. Many of us are regulars and I also see new faces every month. When you get there don't be shy, introduce yourself and have some fun.

My name's Darren, younger guy with a crew cut, and I shoot a Sig p229.
    Look forward to seeing you there.

(Montgomery County)

I've shot the action shoot a bunch of times - most folks are using something in the G17 range but there are plenty of 1911s and usually one or two revolver guys. If you're basing your choice on which would be more competitive, I'd say that which ever one you shoot with the most would be more competitive, and if you shoot both of them, the 1911. But if you're just looking to experience the match and have some fun, shoot whatever will be the most safe and fun for you : )

I'm not sure yet if I'll go out tomorrow, it's been awhile, but I'm leaning towards it.

I don't think you'd have to take your grips off if the laser wasn't active, and they are really informal shoots.

i am most likely going to be attending the next idpa type shoot on the 16th at classic pistol. i have never attended anything like this before but i have watched videos on youtube and read the rules a little. here are my questions:
    is a glock 27 an ok choice for this type of shoot? i know most people run a full sized 9mm but this is my carry gun so i have all the accessories as far as mags and holster/mag pouch and the pistol fits my hand very well OR i do own a colt 1911 which has become more of a safe queen since the ammo spike but i only have a couple mags (which i plan to purchase a couple more in the future anyway) no mag pouch and reloads are a little tricky with my small hands.
    Thanks guys/girls.

(Bucks County)

I too plan to be there for the first time. I'm realy looking forward to it.

I use a Fobus double mag pouch for IDPA for my G17. It's plastic (Kydex?) works like a paddle holster the way it slips opver you belt and inside you waistband. Works great, mags slide out easy and it was cheap I think $20.

Be prepared to go broke after this, it is extremely addicting.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

awesome, $15-$16 doesn't sound bad compared to the $21 at my local range. i'll remove the ct's before the shoot as they don't have an on/off switch. does anyone have a suggestion as far as mag pouches? i have one made by houston, it's a single but the mag is basically glued into there once inserted, i would like a nylon double type.
    are g23 mags acceptable in the 27 if loaded with only 10 rounds?
    thanks so far guys! looking forward to meeting with you again fng and definately looking forward to meeting you ref, how are those m29 and m27s doing anyway?
    You can use whatever mags you want.

One thing about IDPA at Classic is that the rules - that is "by the IDPA book" rules are very relaxed.
    You don't have to draw from cover and it all about having a good time.

The only thing that is a must is safety!!

The main thing is to not handle your gun unless you are told to "load and make ready" while you are standing at the starting line, ready to go through the course.

I can't stress this enough.

If you do handle your gun behind the line / participants:
    YOU WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE

other than that - it's all about learning and having a good time.

Nobody is there to win or kick anybodys ass - it's all about the fun of shooting.

It's a great way to get a taste of IDPA, without worrying about getting yelled at for not following IDPA procedure.

BTW - The 29's and 27's are doing well.
    We'll have to get together one other night to heat them up !

Smoke - I look forward to finally meeting you.
    Last edited by 1blindref; February 2nd, 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Bucks County)

I did my first 'action' shoot their last month. Great experience, people were very friendly. Tell the range officers you haven't done it before and they'll walk you through everything. Load up your mags before you go to save some time.

Here's a link to my little review.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...xperience.html

I'm hoping I can make Feb shoot, I may have a work conflict. I shoot a S&W M&P. Hope to meet some members there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast