Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Unhappy Columbia County Refused to Issue Me An Application For A CWL. What Now?

I recently turned 21, been shooting since I was 8, hunting since I was 12.

The address on my drivers lisence is in Lehigh County, my parents house. However I am a full time college student in Columbia County and I plan to remain in Cloumbia County after graduation. I have an address here and I live in Columbia County all year long.

I went to the Sheriffs office today and asked for an application. The lady officer talked to her supervisor and told me since I was a college student I'm not allowed to apply! I told her PA is a shall issue state and reguardless of my occupation it's my right to apply.

My question is what do I do next? I've never even had a speeding ticket much less been in handcuffs. I don't plan on ever using a firearm on someone, I just wan't my premit so I can more easily transport firearms to and from the range. Thanks in advance for your advice. If I need to clear anything up please let me know, I'm really upset about this.

(York County)

Default Re: Columbia County Refused to Issue Me An Application For A CWL. What Now?

Either:

1) Get your LTCF from Lehigh County

OR

2) Change your address to Columbia County.

I don't see the problem here.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Columbia County Refused to Issue Me An Application For A CWL. What Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Daubert0117 View Post

The address on my drivers lisence is in Lehigh County, my parents house. However I am a full time college student in Columbia County and I plan to remain in Cloumbia County after graduation. I have an address here and I live in Columbia County all year long.

I went to the Sheriffs office today and asked for an application. The lady officer talked to her supervisor and told me since I was a college student I'm not allowed to apply! I told her PA is a shall issue state and reguardless of my occupation it's my right to apply.

My question is what do I do next? I've never even had a speeding ticket much less been in handcuffs. I don't plan on ever using a firearm on someone, I just wan't my premit so I can more easily transport firearms to and from the range. Thanks in advance for your advice. If I need to clear anything up please let me know, I'm really upset about this.
    First, PA doesn't issue CWLs. You want a License to Carry Firearms. If your driver's license shows an address in Lehigh County, then you are a resident of Lehigh County. You must apply to the issuing authority in your county of residence. I suspect that your status as a college student has nothing to do with Columbia County's refusal to allow you to apply. It's probably all about your county of residence. If you live in Columbia County full-time now, and you plan to remain there, you should change the address on your DL to reflect that.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Either:

1) Get your LTCF from Lehigh County

OR

2) Change your address to Columbia County.

I don't see the problem here.
    What he said!

They have lawful cause to require this:
    Title 18 Pa.C.S.A. Crimes and Offenses (Refs & Annos)

Part II. Definition of Specific Offenses

Article G. Miscellaneous Offenses

Chapter 61. Firearms and Other Dangerous Articles

Subchapter A. Uniform Firearms Act (Refs & Annos)

§ 6109. Licenses

(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

(b) Place of application.--An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. If the applicant is a resident of this Commonwealth, he shall make application with the sheriff of the county in which he resides or, if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.

Be safe (and update you residence).

Scott

(Centre County)

I told her PA is a shall issue state and reguardless of my occupation it's my right to apply.
    Sure, but you still have to follow the law when applying. Apply in the county of your residence. There's not really a problem.

(Luzerne County)

Before the replies/discussion continues down two totally different directions, please clarify that they denied you an application for "being a college" student.
    Is that actually why, or did they deny you application because you are legally a lehigh county resident, and your making the leap that that reason = denied because you are a college student?

Per the vehicle code, if you make a permanent change of address, you must change your DL within 15 days. (this can be done on penndot website).

Per 18Pa.C.S.6109, you must apply for a LTCF in your current county of residence.

So, you have two choices.

1) Apply in lehigh

2) change our DL address and then apply.

Again, if the SD actually told you that you could not apply because you were a student please clarify as that is a separate issue that will need addressed regardless of your DL/address issue.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Monroe County)

/subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Columbia County)

Okay I'll try to clarify.

I walked into the sheriffs office. I walked to the counter and asked the officer behind the desk for an application for a concealed carry permit. The female officer asked if I lived here. I said I'm a college student here and live here year round. She asked if I planned to stay in columbia county after graduation. I told her I did. She then asked do you have an address here? I told her I did (which I do.) She told me to hold on she had to ask the sheriff because they don't like issuing permits to college students. She came back a minute later and said "Sorry, it's county policy that we don't grant applications to college students." I told her thats irrelevent because it's state law that they have to at least grant me an application. She shook her head and told me I was mistaken, that counties can have their own policies about issuing permits. Before arguing my rights in a sheriffs office I decided to walk out and consult the experts (you guys). It's a pain to drive to Lehigh county, however I will do it if there is no other way. I'm really posting because I feel descriminated against, just because I'm in college doesn't mean that I don't deserve a permit. Sorry for the rant but I really feel I was treated unfairly and I don't want this to happen to anyone else. Let me know what my next move is, and thank you all for your inputs.

PA Patriot- They never even brought up if my lisence said Columbia County. I'm assuming that what my lisence says about what county I live in is irrelevent because a permit in one county is good in all counties in PA. I could be wrong please steer me in the right direction. If I apply in Columbia and my lisence says Lehigh will they deny it right away?
    Last edited by Daubert0117; February 1st, 2010 at 05:58 PM.

FWIW, I'm a college student and I recently applied in Lehigh County, no questions asked.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

well this could get interesting

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast