Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Indoor range in Central PA

Hi folks! New here and glad to be a part of this forum. There is a LOT of great info on here and I look forward to taking part. I have a quick question I'd like to pose and get your feedback on before proceeding any further into it. I'm in the VERY early planning stages of possibly opening an indoor range in central PA, near Lock Haven/State College specifically. I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on this, i.e., do you think it's needed enough in this area to make the venture worthwhile. I feel it's a great idea, but then I'm a true gun nut. Any thoughts or input, both good and bad, are appreciated. Initially this would be the range with 8-12 lanes. Depending on the availability of instructors, I'd like to offer training from beginner up through advanced techniques as well as home defense, etc. Rentals would also be a possiblity as well as ammo sales. I'd eventually like to sell guns and supplies, but not right away. So fire away (no pun intended)...I look forward to your comments.

Kevin

(Centre County)

Default Re: Indoor range in Central PA

Kevin,
    I have had a bunch of people ask about an indoor range in this area. I think it would go over well.

I would get in touch with the NRA, IIRC they have stuff about ranges (both indoor and outdoor) and what is entailed in getting start up money/building/starting/operating one.

Here are a few thinks you have to think about:
    Liability Insurance
    Ventilation (lead, fume dissipation)
    Lead reclamation (from backstop)
    Backstop material (safety standpoint)
    Liability Insurance
    Building material (safety standpoint)
    Safety partitions between range and common areas
    Safety partitions between lanes
    Liability Insurance
    Target setting mechanisms (trolleys, cable, hangers, etc.)
    Lighting (range area and common area)
    The land to build on
    State/Local laws and ordinances
    Liability Insurance
    Getting the capital to do what you want to do (have a great business plan, not just a good one)
    Probably others things too, that's just what came to mind

Start working on clients, not just individuals, but police departments (qualifying during the winter months), local, state and federal agencies (that carry and have to qualify periodically), shooting clubs (league type competitions during the winter maybe), Firearms instructors (someplace to train/shoot all year round), etc.

Just my thoughts.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Post deleted by poster, as I am, doing to almost all my posts.
    Last edited by TheF00L; April 13th, 2010 at 07:27 AM.

(Clinton County)

Xring...thanks for the great suggestions. I've contacted our Chief of Police to inquire about the legalities of having in here within city limits since we have an ordinance against discharging firearms within the city limits. He had no idea if this applied to a legitimate business or not...he's getting back to me. I've been checking out the NRA website as well as websites of companies that specialize in backstops and indoor ranges. Lots of cool stuff out there. As it stands now, my three biggest hurdles are 1.) the firearms ordinance I mentioned. This can be worked around. Even if I'm not allowed to do it within the city limits, there are other sites I've been looking at that are outside city limits. Purchasing land and building a new building is a last resort d/t the expense involved (but probably the best option.) 2.) Liability insurance - I'm not sure how much this will cost, but I'm assuming it's gonna be a pretty good expense. 3.) Financing - I really have no idea how to start this part. I was thinking about going to the local SBDC for help. They should be able to guide me in the right direction.

I was thinking about getting with the local police departments and other law enforcement agencies to work up some type of agreement/contract for them to use the range for regular training. I was also thinking of the league matches you mentioned as well as basic through advanced instruction, "low-light" nights where people can practice their flashlight and laser techniques. Another possibility was to have the ability, with the proper backstops/ballistic wall material to set up "shoot house" scenerios within the range. This could spice up the shooting experience beyond the regular straight range. This, of course, would all be monitored strictly by the range officer so only one person was on the line at a time and would probably have to se set up as a special night during the week. Other possibilites could include monthly or yearly packages, memberships, rentals of firearms to include Class III guns, ammo sales, accessories and eventually gun sales. Anyway, more things to think about on my end. I'll keep everyone informed. Thanks for everyones input!

(Centre County)

If I win the MegaMillions or PowerBall, I'll be a partner with you .

The Small Business Administration is a place to go for advice. Also, here in SC in Penn State's Innovation Park (865-5925) I believe they have the group of retired businessmen that can give advice about starting/funding businesses.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Clinton County)

Sounds like a plan Xring and if I win, I'll be looking for a partner too! I never thought of Innovation Park. I may give them a try also. Thanks!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeFlightRN View Post
    Hi folks! New here and glad to be a part of this forum. There is a LOT of great info on here and I look forward to taking part. I have a quick question I'd like to pose and get your feedback on before proceeding any further into it. I'm in the VERY early planning stages of possibly opening an indoor range in central PA, near Lock Haven/State College specifically. I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on this, i.e., do you think it's needed enough in this area to make the venture worthwhile. I feel it's a great idea, but then I'm a true gun nut. Any thoughts or input, both good and bad, are appreciated. Initially this would be the range with 8-12 lanes. Depending on the availability of instructors, I'd like to offer training from beginner up through advanced techniques as well as home defense, etc. Rentals would also be a possiblity as well as ammo sales. I'd eventually like to sell guns and supplies, but not right away. So fire away (no pun intended)...I look forward to your comments.

Kevin

well straight up call the guy over here in Williamsport. he opened one a few years back and ask him how he is doing...I dont know if he would tell you anything but at least he would have the knowledge about it..thing about indoor ranges is the $$$$. his is pretty updated its lead free and you have to buy your ammo(frangible or how ever you spell it ) from him and obviously as such its rather expensive I think to shoot 9mm its about $30 for 50 rounds and 1/2 hour range rental use. I mean heck...for #20 more ive got a YEAR membership at my local range($50)...its not bad but just too expensive for me..I LOVE shooting but can only bring myself to go there maybe 2 X per year.

http://www.tripolistriggers.com/indoorrange.nxg

this is about 1.5 miles from my house

Kevin, if your plan goes through and the range gets built I'd be there about every night practicing, lol. I think its a great idea, right now our only options are Southern Clinton County Sportsmen, which is full of anti-handgun/anti-semi-auto people who drove me away. Or we have to make the trek up 664 to Tiadaghton which is a great range with great people but no handgun area and its a bit of a drive. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.

Angelo

P.S.- judging by your screen name I take it you work at the hospital?

(Clinton County)

Low Capacity...thanks for the info. I'm still working on the possibility. Waiting for the Chief of Police in Lock Haven to get back to me on the legalities of having an indoor range within the city limits. I'm gonna give him another day or two and if I don't hear from him, I'll give him another call. I'd really like to see this happen I'm glad you told me about Southern Clinton County...I was thinking about joining that club but if they are anti-handgun/anti-semi, I'm not sure I want to now. 664's club is nice, but like you said...it's a drive to get there, as is the range at Pine Creek.

I do actually work at the hospital in the ER on a per diem basis. I work full-time as a flight nurse with Geisinger Life Flight. I'm on the heli based in State College.

Kevin

(Centre County)

Talking Re: Indoor range in Central PA

I'd definately support a local indoor range. I usually shoot at Scotia but sometimes feel like you are getting what you paid for.

Keep us updated. I'm sure a few forum members wouldn't mind helping you out when you get things rolling.

I also work at Mt Nittany in the ICU/PCU on a per diem basis. Maybe I'll see you there. My wife works in the ED- I'm sure you know her.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast