Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Night-time self defense, EDC Light instead of pistol-mounted light

I'd think that most of us who CC or OC don't have a light attached to our pistols on a daily basis. (Usually won't fin in the holster/adds bulk to weapon.) However, anyone who's ever aimed their pistol in the dark at something knows how hard it can be, even with night sights, to get on target.
    On top of that, it's common knowledge that a bright light can be pretty disorienting to an attacker.
    The other problem I see, however, is many of us don't have the pocket space to carry even a mini-mag style light.
    How useful do you think something like This: http://www.photonlight.com/ would be in a self-defense, night time situation?
    I like to think of it as being prepared at all times for anything, because the light is so small, you have no excuse to not throw it on your keys or whatever and have it on you literally all the time.
    Who thinks it'd be useful, and who thinks it's just a waste of time?
    Just trying to throw an idea out there I'm sure some have had, and get some feedback.

Default Re: Night-time self defense, EDC Light instead of pistol-mounted light

Looks like it may be awfully small to handle well; even more difficult if attached to your keys. I decided to go with the smallest light that I'd carry all the time. Went with the Surefire Backup.

(Montgomery County)

These guys have some great little lights; bright, easily held and about $20.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/StoreFront

FWIW, I found holding my light up by my (offside) cheek feels the most comfortable. "Neck Index" I guess it's called. Lights up the sights really well too.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On...Light/21$35519
    http://www.nrapublications.org/si/HB_handgun.html
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Monroe County)

I have a light on me at all times. it has a pocket clip and is clipped onto the inside of my offhand pocket. I use it every day too, never really realized how much I needed a light til i started carrying it.

(Montgomery County)

I have a little streamlight mini light that clips to my pocket and it's really handy, but not bright enough in my opinion, for tactical situations. I'm looking at getting a belt holster for my Surefire G2Z to wear in front of my spare mags (don't want it in the way of reloads).

At my bedside, there are numberous light options. I've got the G2Z with its handy lanyard, a Streamlight LED that used to be on my firefighting helmet, and a big baseball bat 4 D-cell maglite. I've also got lights on my long guns which would be my first option for night time encounters even though my 1911 is easier to reach.

Just remember, something is better than nothing! Just make sure it's reliable.

(Bucks County)

How useful do you think something like This: http://www.photonlight.com/ would be in a self-defense, night time situation?
    I think it'd be better than nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    The other problem I see, however, is many of us don't have the pocket space to carry even a mini-mag style light.
    You need more pockets then. I'm an avid fan of carpenter's style jeans/pants. They have pockets on the legs that are perfect for a small light. Cargo pants are ubiquitous and offer more pocket space. There are a number of brands that offer "tactical" pants. If you choose carefully, you can get something that looks like like plain old cargo pants, but has dedicated pockets for lights.

So far, the most valid response IMHO was about it being small and possibly hard to handle, especially under stress.
    I know of those "smaller" lights that are LED and take only 1 AAA and similar setups, but even those can be a big PITA to EDC in a pocket. In a jacket pocket is different, but I'm talking in a pants pocket.
    Does anyone know of anything similar? Like a 1 LED, very small, low-profile weapon-mounted light? I keep hearing most of all defensive shooting takes place in the realm of 5-15 yds or so. 1 high power LED is more than enough light to improve the conditions in that situation, and a setup similar to surefire's laser grips would be REALLY cool I think. Could just slip it right in the holster. Come to think of it, it wouldn't really be all that hard to make one myself... I might do that now
    Oh and to the poster above, yeah, that's valid. Other styles of pants mos. def. would be far better, but I'm not fond of BDU pants or cargo pants for every day wear. Gotta look good for the ladies, ya know haha

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    but I'm talking in a pants pocket.
    so am I

Does anyone know of anything similar? Like a 1 LED, very small, low-profile weapon-mounted light?
    youre going to have to spend the bucks for a holster made for a weaponlight and weapon combo

here's my light in my front left pocket:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; February 1st, 2010 at 03:24 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    These guys have some great little lights; bright, easily held and about $20.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/StoreFront

FWIW, I found holding my light up by my (offside) cheek feels the most comfortable. "Neck Index" I guess it's called. Lights up the sights really well too.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On...Light/21$35519
    http://www.nrapublications.org/si/HB_handgun.html
    Yep. The ITP keyring light blasts out 80 lumen. It's $20 and blindingly bright inside of 20yds.

The slightly larger multi-battery Romisen lights that use CR123 batteries are also ridiculously bright... and $20. Great lights for carrying to use with a handgun.

(Lackawanna County)

I picked up a small 6-led light at vatozone (autozone) of all places...3-aa batteries, bottom bump switch, crazy bright, and under ten bucks.

I realized last week, when I need a light fast, that I have to TWIST the maglight to light it; probably be a little hard to draw and twist the light at the same time.

I'm a little uncomfortable mounting a light on the gun because if I have to use it at might, I'd rather not have the BG aiming at my gun....
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast