Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    (York County)

Default Re: wife's giving me a hard time about deciding to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    I think that this is hardly a trivial matter like what each of their favorite bands are. They were in a relationship for 12 years before getting married. Plenty of time to find out what is what.

That's a rather sad attempt at rebuking me. I was responding to the OP just the same as the first person did. I was unaware that reading all of the posts would somehow magically change the original post. Care to explain that to me?
    The OP has posted several times in the thread and (since I read it all ), I got the impression that she isn't saying it's a deal breaker or anything, just that he may have some convincing to do. Like others have posted, if this is something important to the OP, his spouse is going to learn to live with it or take a hike. IMO thats what marriage is about. Just because you do something she doesn't like or she does something you don't like (within reason of course). Doesn't mean that it's time to "kick her to the curb" and find another fish. The next fish may not do what the last one did, but I guarantee she will do SOMETHING that rubs you the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    That is a good point, but he knows that she had a license to carry and a gun. I would guess they discussed this subject at one point, but you are correct, I have no idea. I still find it completely perplexing that she thinks it was ok for her to get a license and a gun, but now that he wants one, nope. She could have destroyed or sold the handgun if she was so anti-handgun. This whole situation doesn't quite smell right. It's like some pertinent info is missing.

Edit: Oh, and you are right about another thing: People do change how they behave and what they want from life. Just look at the divorce rate!
    I agree that something doesn't sound right.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Montgomery County)

What's the common link when bad things happen in good neighborhoods . . .

I never though it would happen to me . . .

That won't be me sayin' that. Good luck.
    Last edited by Roland of Gilead; February 3rd, 2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: bloody typos
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Berks County)

sixstringer,

First let me say : Hiya neighbor ! Welcome to the club... You have been given some great advise so far, and quite a bit of comic relief. I would tell you that if you do not have a subscription to the Reading Eagle, that you at least read it on line, and point out to her all the robberies etc that are happening in Reading and it's suburbs... You're gonna have to go slow with this and it will take time. My wife of 18 years never saw a gun until we were dating. It took awhile, but she has been won over. She now shoots with me and can get to our safe and defend the home w/o me being there.

Now for that smart @$$ side of me... On Friday night just grab your coat and her and take a walk down Franklin Street or Schuylkill Ave.at about 10-11 PM.. I figure you'll be authorized to buy and carry not only a handgun, but several hand grenades...

Seriously... take it slow, and it can work itself out....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Hmmmmm . . . when I was in college I carried without my parents knowledge, that wasn't too difficult.

I can't see how I could have kept something like that from my wife. Too much sneaking involved.
    Not so much keeping it from her. She knew I carried. It took her a while to realize how often I carried. Sorry for not clarifying that in my earlier post.

(Monroe County)

You need to take good stock of the situation. After a very careful and detailed analysis of the situation you should:

1. Get rid of the women

2. Marry XDCoyote

3. Do the rest of us a favor and export the women to Anti-land (New York, New Jersey, Maryland, etc)
    Last edited by cock&lock; February 4th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    This is where you come in. With the grace and aplomb of Josey Wales, you move her aside, pull your smokewagon and do what all Men picture themselves doing in these circumstances...
    I think I saw that on Law & Order. Except the guy then plugged the "mugger," b/c he really wanted to kill him all along. Got any friends on your S-list lately?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by V65Magnafan View Post
    Her sister, on the other hand, is a....Well, let's just say, her line is, "Does it make you feel important?" Thank God I didn't marry that one.
    I have a cracker friend from the south who would answer by rubbing it, crossing his eyes and saying, "O-ooooh!"

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna 19547 View Post
    sixstringer,
    On Friday night just grab your coat and her and take a walk down Franklin Street or Schuylkill Ave.at about 10-11 PM.. I figure you'll be authorized to buy and carry not only a handgun, but several hand grenades...
    Nothing smart ass about that , I would add to wear a vest also.

(Berks County)

Thanx for all the input everybody.She'll see it my way.No fear.

My ex didn't like my guns but pretty much left the issue alone. I really don't have any advice other than what has been said, take it slow, get her to substanciate her claims or fears (do it nicely, don't force her to go defensive) and yeah, take a trip to the unsafe areas....even if just passing by on the freeway. Man, this all makes me love my wife even more. She has two of her own and a LTCF.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011