Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Ar-15 vs Sig 556

I am not looking for a pissing contest between the two of these firearms, but I would like to know which one YOU think is better and why?Please explain you reasons. Thanks..
    When you think, You think you know!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Ar-15 vs Sig 556

Well the Sig makes you cool right?
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Montgomery County)

AR

Cheaper and far more aftermarket stuff

Sig

Allegedly more reliable because of the piston design. Has not been around long enough to prove this point.

Easier to disassemble and clean.

Softer shooting because of the piston design and extra weight.

Compared to an AR of similar configuration, the Sig will be heavier.

Better trigger than MOST factory AR's assuming you like a two-stage trigger.
    Last edited by 625; February 1st, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Berks County)

Dunno how to answer this one - the Sig is a cool gun with some nice (though pricy) features - but there are some pretty good ARs out there (Les Baer, Knights, S&W, POF, LWRC, Stag, Colt, Robinson, Rock River Arms, the list goes on and on).

And with the modularity of the AR platform you can put one together pretty easily to suit your own needs. I'm tempted to build one myself to serve as a stablemate for the MAK-90.

Main advantages to the Sig are the gas piston system and Sig's usual Euro-quality.

On a semiautomatic carbine I think you'd be okay with DI, though, as long as you follow the usual AR cleaning protocol and are picky about your ammo and mags.

The AR's build-it-yourself modularity is more than just cachet. It can save you some dollars and give you a sense of self-satisfaction. It should also be flexible enough to swap the calibers by swapping out the uppers. It's turned into one hell of a platform for the private firearms owner, despite almost being destroyed as a weapon system by US Government bureaucratic stupidity.

If money were no option I'd probably go with a Knights, LWRC or a POF over the Sig, though.

And since money is an option, I'll probably end up building my own.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Montgomery County)

I'll back up 625 on this one. The Sig's main advantage is the "reliability" of its piston, which hasn't been around long enough to prove itself. For what it's worth, any AR can be upgraded with a gas piston system from any number of companies.

I'd go with the AR for its track record, ergonomics, and the gigantic aftermarket. The prices are anywhere between dirt cheap (relatively, anyway) to stratoshperic depending on what you want on the rifle.

Another big plus to the AR is that it's VERY easy to add more calibers just by buying a new upper. (.22, 6.8, 5.45, 7.62x39, etc) that the Sig doesn't offer from what I know.

However, I'm really not knocking the Sig, as I think it's a good rifle for what it does, and if you thinkit suits your needs better, I'd say go for it!

(Elk County)

My comments are based on owning a SIG 556 about a year ago.

The SIG is a fine piston-driven weapon based on the AK action. As built, the SIG is a bit front-heavy, and the standard handguards are bulky. I invested in a set of 551 HGs from the vendor in Germany for mine, and dyed them black to match. Much better ergonomics in the hand than the standard HGs.

Accuracy was excellent. My SIG 556 would group 1.5 MOA or less offhand, using a 1.5X optic. Some range sessions would yield quarter-sized groups using Federal XM193.

Reliability and functionality was 100%, even with quantities of the dreaded lacquered-steel cased Wolf 5.56 ammo. This was using Okay-brand USGI magazines with Magpul Gen II followers.

Where I got disenchanted was when I attempted to fit a standard AR BUIS and discovered I needed a special-height front sight to go with it, at the time available from only one aftermarket source. OK, I can wait. In the meantime, I contacted SIGARMS regarding price and availablility of basic spares for the 556, such as extractor, extractor spring and plunger, firing pin, set of springs, etc. Basic stuff. At this point I discovered that SIGARMS stole a page from H&K. Not only were the prices H&K-high, but spares were unobtanium, and the weapon had been in the marketplace for just over a year. The person on the phone told me that I'd have to send the 556 back to SIGARMS for the fitting of a replacement extractor and the replacement of a firing pin. Perhaps that policy has changed, and perhaps aftermarket parts are available now, I do not know.

Upon ending the call, I decided then to sell the 556 because of the H&K-like approach to 556 product support that SIGARMS apparently was taking. I went back to standardizing on my three PG-converted 922r-compliant 223 Saigas and my pile of Wieger mags for them as the solution to my desire for high-cap-fed, piston-driven 223 semi-auto rifles.

So that's where I am -- three 223 Saigas and four ARs, one a 10.5" SBR on a registered Sabre Defence lower. The SIG 556 is not even a distant memory. IMO, it's a great weapon with 551 HGs, but at the time the SIGARMS support was entirely off-putting. That may have changed in the ensuing year.

HTH,

Noah

(Montgomery County)

Oh, and if you like to tinker, you might prefer the AR. If you are lazy like me, and just want a solid gun that is nice right out of the box, and are intrigued by the piston design, get the Sig. I simply have more confidence in the Sig design. At the very least, it's far easier to clean and will run with less maintenance and lube.

(Lancaster County)

To be honest I don't know much about the piston guns except for the fact that they are supposedly "more reliable" and because of their design they are supposed to be more clean after firing. I am an "old school" guy being in the military and we used gas operated guns and never had any problems with them if you take care of them. I am sticking to my cheaper and just as effective AR-15 design.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    IMO, it's a great weapon with 551 HGs, but at the time the SIGARMS support was entirely off-putting. That may have changed in the ensuing year.

HTH,

Noah
    That's true, and I agree. They do now have a basic parts kit, but it only covers the small parts. At least it's cheap!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    <snip>

IMO, it's a great weapon with 551 HGs, but at the time the SIGARMS support was entirely off-putting. That may have changed in the ensuing year.

HTH,

Noah
    There's a lot of AR vs. SIG chatter on the SIG forums - along with a lot of chatter over their supposedly lousy cust service. I'm still waiting word back from my own cs issues with SIG.

In my little exposure to a SIG rifle - SIG522, I'd be inclined to go AR due to the MASSIVE aftermarket.

JMHO
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast