Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Re: Ar-15 vs Sig 556

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    And what are these constant firing problems the AR has?
    Yes, I worded that wrong didn't I...

What I was trying to explain was the gas blow back going into the bolt carrier, bolt, firing pin and a lot of the lower receiver parts with the AR15/M16 series rifles.

With the Sig, its a gas piston and would be a lot less problematic under "constant firing".

"One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

Has the SIG55X seen any real combat by any large military organization?

Google doesn't reveal a thing.

I guess until it does; one can decide between a battle-winning combat-proven gun, vs. a pretty gun.

Of course, plinking at the range will not put a combat strain on either.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

I guess until it does; one can decide between a battle-winning combat-proven gun, vs. a pretty gun.

Per my earlier reply with the link to Wikipedia on the 55x usages around the world presently, the majority are used by spec-ops.

A rifle (or any emerging military weapon) that is not yet battle-winning combat-proven doesn't automatically disqualify it and make it into just "a pretty gun". The US govt. has been testing replacements for the M4. All of the rifles submitted outperformed the M4 in every category. None of those have been in combat. In addition, marketing, government deals, corporate connections, cost, and even lawsuit settlement make for the selection of a particular weapon for wider use, that consequentially end in wars/battles that are usually won by more than just small arms.

Al

(Franklin County)

My bad. that is why it is nice to have "editors" here. He put 3 rifles in my hands and said they were the only 3 piston rifles he had.

Didnt do my research. But, I would still buy the 6940, but it has to come down from the $1525 price tag he had on it.

Thanks guys.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

That's an extremely weak point. The Garand is "battle proven". The 1911 is "battle proven". The Colt SAA is "battle proven". Just because something is widely used does not mean it's the best tool for the job. The Abrahms tank and the Humvee, as good as they may be, will be replaced too.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Allegheny County)

Own 2 556's and two Ar's. I love all of them but if the shtf I will grab my Sig's. They just feel better to me and I have total confidence in them.

(Philadelphia County)

Oh, one thing that worth mentioning in the 556...

It has an adjustable gas valve to increase the flow of gas/air to the piston, which is meant to be used for when the gun starts to jam up due too much crap in the piston assembly/tube. Actually, in the default valve setting, the gas is partially released. By closing the valve up, you direct additional gas into the piston system. The recoil gets a little stronger because of this.

Al

(Chester County)

God I love these threads... Buy a quality DI rifle and if you find that AR's are your thing, take a look at the piston rifles at that point. As you're only AR I don't think its a wise choice as a starting point into the AR arena...

The Sig 556 has never seen combat, EVER. The 551 is a very different rifle than the US 556... The Sig is a fine rifle but we need to keep facts separated from fantasy...

Oh,and this is a DI rifle FWIW

Carry on with the fun...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    God I love these threads... Buy a quality DI rifle and if you find that AR's are your thing, take a look at the piston rifles at that point. As you're only AR I don't think its a wise choice as a starting point into the AR arena...

The Sig 556 has never seen combat, EVER. The 551 is a very different rifle than the US 556... The Sig is a fine rifle but we need to keep facts separated from fantasy...
    ...[/IMG]

Carry on with the fun...
    As 625 pointed out the "combat" measurement is a very, very weak point. The SIG 556 is based on the 550 series, "very different" isn't what SIG says:

SIG556® No other semi-automatic rifle has captured the imagination of the shooting public like the SG 550 series rifle. For years this legendary Swiss made rifle has been restricted to law enforcement and military sales where it has continuously built on its reputation for outstanding performance, accuracy and durability. SIG SAUER® offers the U.S. produced version as the SIG556, which is available to the general consumer and law enforcement markets. The SIG556 features the same high-performance two position adjustable gas piston operating rod system engineered by SIG’s sister company Swiss Arms and marries it to a trigger housing that not only cuts the rifle’s weight by a pound but is designed to accept standard AR magazines.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sig_556#Variants

More over, parts-wise:
    Due to import restrictions, the American civilian market required a partially American-made version assembled by SIG Sauer (not to be confused with the Swiss-German entity) in Exeter, New Hampshire. The SIG556 is a commercial variant of the SG 551 designed to meet these requirements. The 556 lacks full-auto capability and the overall length is 940 mm (37.0 in). The main difference is a new aluminum lower receiver that accepts M16 STANAG magazines and an M4 telescoping buttstock. The barrel's twist rate is 178 mm (1:7 in). Most other parts are interchangeable with the SG 550 series.
    http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...?categoryid=35

"Fantasizing" a 556 to be a 551 is as much as fantasizing an AR to be an M4.

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; February 4th, 2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added sources to quotes

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    God I love these threads...

Carry on with the fun...
    Yep, pissing contests are fun. Mind if I cross streams with you? No? Well at least give me the courtesy of a reach-around.

The fact that the 556 has never been in combat is irrelevant. At one point the same could be said of the AR-15.

Here is what a quick search about the M4 in combat turned up. There are tons of stories like this.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...roversy-03289/

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/02/atCarbine070219/

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...158468,00.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5377711.shtml
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast