Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Rossi Ranch Hand lever action large loop modification?

Maybe I should post this in the rifle section, but the Ranch Hand is classifieds as a pistol. Anyway, if you don't know what it is, check it out here: http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...96&category=17

I'm not sure why the over-sized loop for these and don't really like it. I placed an order for a 357 mag and would love to modify the large lever loop to something that looks closer to the typical lever loop. Has anyone done it before? How difficult would it be? I don't think Rossi makes a different lever for it.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Rossi Ranch Hand lever action large loop modification?

The reason i like those is the oversized lever, haha...

sorry i dont have the answers you're looking for...but have been eyeing one of these for a little now my LGS has a couple in

The oversize loops on lever actions are to allow gloves. Under the original design the primary users were cowboys on the range. Regardless of weather conditions they often wore sturdy leather work gloves. Their most frequent targets, wolves and coyotes, moved too fast to allow time to remove their gloves so they utilized rifles with large lever loops.

Instead of a modification, see if you can purchase a replacement lever. There is a good chance the Rossi Model 92 rifle uses the same style lever in a normal loop. That way you have both to try and the original in case you sell the Ranch Hand later.
    Last edited by MT1; February 25th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.

(Bucks County)

It should swap out for a lever from a standard 92. You might be able to swap levers with a guy looking for the large loop. Check out this site:
    http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewfo...aab7d3e9b39ea9
    Someone on that board will be able to answer your question.

The following is cut and pasted from another forum...

You may be able to find a replacement on one of these :

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search

I also found this posting over on Paco kelly's. "If you have an LSI Rossi Puma, then email Sports World (info@sportsworldtulsa.com) in Tulsa with your model no. (M92), s/n, name, address, and phone number along with the specific parts you want. They will email you back with the prices. They are the warranty repair group for LSI Rossi.

In any case, I'd give them the exact name as defined in This parts listing for the M92 Rossi.

You can also call them at (918) 742-4027, but they will ask you to send them an email with the specific parts that you want."

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

As I recall, Yakima Canutt and John Wayne developed the large loop for the movie "Stagecoach" to allow Wayne to manipulate the rifle more easily with one hand. I've been to more than a few western museums and have never seen a large looped rifle in one.

ETA: Found this on IMDB.com

Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne) keeps a Winchester 1892 "Saddle Ring Carbine" with a large lever loop chambered in .44-40 as his rifle of choice throughout the film and is most notably seen using it during the film's climax when he fires it akimbo style along with his Single Action Army, twirling the rifle with the large lever loop to cock it with one hand. (This action most likely inspired the same technique used by Arnold Schwarzenegger with the Winchester Model 1887 shotgun in T2). Wayne and stuntman Yakima Canutt created the so-called Hollywood lever for the movie Stagecoach. It was a technique refined by Chuck Connors in TV's Rifleman and Connors was clearly the master of spin-cocking a model 1892(easy for Connors who was 6' 5" tall).
    Last edited by Grey Bearded One; February 25th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Wow, thanks so much for the information guys! I really appreciate it. I'll checkout the links and options posted. In the mean time, I'll probably try out the large loop and see if that works for me. I just feel having to drop my hand lower due to the lower loop seems a bit unnatural and takes a bit more time.

Thanks again!
    Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

I just noticed the current Cabelas sales flyer has the Rossi ranch hand advertised for $479. Not sure how this compares to research you have already done.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I just noticed the current Cabelas sales flyer has the Rossi ranch hand advertised for $479. Not sure how this compares to research you have already done.
    Thank you for the heads up! I got really lucky and got this one...new, $339 + $20 shipping and no CC fees: http://www.gunsamerica.com/935480514...357MAG_NIB.htm . Already got shipping confirmation for it.

They go for about $430 - $480 on GB.

Al

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    As I recall, Yakima Canutt and John Wayne developed the large loop for the movie "Stagecoach" to allow Wayne to manipulate the rifle more easily with one hand. I've been to more than a few western museums and have never seen a large looped rifle in one.

ETA: Found this on IMDB.com
    ^This is the correct answer.
    The large loop was made for John Wayne. It's so you can spin it with one hand and, apparently, show a total lack of safety for yourself and those around you. If I see somebody manipulating one of these in such a fashion I pack up my stuff and leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast