Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SKS drum info

Default SKS drum info

Hey guys. Anyone have any expirence, information, opinions on the SKS Norinco 75 round "duck bill" drum magazine? I am thinking or getting one if I can find it. I know the first thing that probably will be said. Waste of ammo, cost too much. I drug my old Russian SKS 45 Tula 54 out of the safe. I bought it back when they were first imported into the USA and have fired it very little. I cleaned it up and took it out for a little shooting. 30 rd USA brand magazine worked flawlessly. Let me explain: I have raised my 3 daughters, they are grown, gone and on their on. Now it is time for old dad to play a little. I am not concerned with ammo or drum cost. I want to spray and play. Just so no one thinks I'm too crazy, I also have some preban 89 AK's that are purist unchanged. Thanks again for any info.
    Noble 229th. Tribute to my bother. Lam Son 719 Invasion into Laos February 1971.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: SKS drum info

I don't know much about SKS drum mags, but the general theory is that if you want to spray and play, your best bet is to get an AK. Personally, I just don't think SKS's were designed for maximum fire power.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Washington County)

All the info I saw puts them in the price of the rifle (2-300 dollars), and fun as hell, and maybe a little awkward to reload.

(Berks County)

Everything I have ever read about them indicates they don't work. Use the money to buy another SKS.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(Philadelphia County)

If your detachable SKS mags work perfectly when full loaded every time - then you got extremely lucky.

Generally, detachable SKS mags vary in functionality from "works nearly every time if I don't fully load it" to "mother*(@^%&(%*&*^###^*&^ing waste of money!"

Thanks guys for the info and opinions. I may stick with my detachable mags. For anyone that wants to know the detachable mags I have are marked U.S.A Magazines, made in USA. Nothing else. We ran 250 rounds through them in fairly short order and they all worked without a single problem. Thanks again....
    Noble 229th. Tribute to my bother. Lam Son 719 Invasion into Laos February 1971.