Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Question New Here - Need and education on gun ownership!

Hello,

Over the past few years, certain things that have happened in my community, have had me thinking about getting myself and my husband as well, a hand gun. My experience with guns is very limited. The most I have ever done is shoot my father in law's hunting guns at targets, skeet etc. Extremely good time, I always enjoyed it. What I am really looking for now is a gun to protect my family. Mostly when we are home (tons of home invasions lately) and also while my family is hiking (Big Pocono and the like). Also, when I am at my office alone. I don't intend to carry the gun for my normal day to day duties (not yet anyway!). I have concerns and questions and I was hoping I could get some guidance and just where I should start with this whole process.

Also, where do I find the laws regarding having to use my gun in a self defense situation? For example: If my family and I are confronted on a trail at Big Pocono with either say a Bear or a human attacker...at what point would I be able to shoot or possible kill, without getting myself in trouble? If we where at home and someone enters my home, at what point could I use my gun to protect my family without getting myself into trouble? Obviously, knowing "when" to to use the gun is as important as "how" to use the gun. How to I find out "when" I can use my gun?

Since I have never used a hand gun before, should I be looking at taking a safety and use class BEFORE I apply for the permit to carry the weapon and purchase a gun? Or should I be applying to carry and purchasing a gun, then going to a class? What is the proper order of things? I certainly don't want to be an uneducated gun owner.

The safety of my family is of utmost importance. I am thinking that I would like to store the gun under my bed with one of those biometric safes. Are these 100% secure? I am thinking the best approach would be to let my children know it is there and educate them on the dangers of "playing" with a gun and letting them know that they are not to try to access under any condition...or should I just put it there and not mention it...they would most likely never find it? I am thinking it would be better to let them know its there. This is the biggest concern that I have about having a gun. I would like to hear success stories and methods of storage from parents who have a gun in the house. Obviously, I would want it loaded in the event of a break in in the middle of the night, right? The thought of having a loaded gun in the house scares me. We have a bunch of handed down hunting guns locked up, but there is not any ammo on my property, so I feel safe about having them here.

The last thing I am wondering is if someone could give me suggestions on what a good hand gun would be for me? I have not a clue where to start on that one!

Well, I thank you in advance for your help. I look forward to hearing what you have to say and learn all I can about the proper way to own and carry a gun.

Tammy

(Monroe County)

Default Re: New Here - Need and education on gun ownership!

there is no reason to wait to get your LTCF, it takes 45 days+ anyway so get your paperwork in as soon as possible. you don't even need to own a hand gun to get a LTCF

I would suggest taking a class, but there is no reason to wait until to you do file the paperwork
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

you can start here for laws:http://www.pafoa.org/law

as far as getting your license to carry firearms, as Dredly said, don't wait. You'll have plenty of time to practice and get familiar with handguns while you're waiting on your approval.

Take some classes, go to a range or 2 and there are plenty of people on here that I'm sure would love to educate you and your family in the proper handling/safety of any firearm.

(Luzerne County)

First off welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to learn about gun laws. Here is a site that might help. http://www.acslpa.org/pa_uniform_firearms_act.htm

There is a meet and greet in your area this coming weekend.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/monroe-49/850...sville-pa.html
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

Welcome to the forums.

I'd suggest that you take the NRA Basic Pistol course. It's offered at many ranges. Even though I had some experience with pistols, I chose to take it. It was money well spent too. It's better to develope good habits early than to break bad habits later.

Enjoy the forums.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Berks County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...-workshop.html

Consider attending these workshops - it is well worth the price!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdemers View Post
    If my family and I are confronted on a trail at Big Pocono with either say a Bear or a human attacker...at what point would I be able to shoot or possible kill, without getting myself in trouble? If we where at home and someone enters my home, at what point could I use my gun to protect my family without getting myself into trouble? Obviously, knowing "when" to to use the gun is as important as "how" to use the gun. How to I find out "when" I can use my gun?
    PA law currently requires you to retreat if possible. For example, if someone is chasing you with a knife, and you can run away, you can't shoot the guy. However, if he is chasing you with a gun, is running faster than you, or you don't have anywhere to go, then is justifiable. The exception is in your house, where you don't have a duty to retreat.
    Since I have never used a hand gun before, should I be looking at taking a safety and use class BEFORE I apply for the permit to carry the weapon and purchase a gun? Or should I be applying to carry and purchasing a gun, then going to a class? What is the proper order of things? I certainly don't want to be an uneducated gun owner.
    1. Apply for carry license
    2. Buy gun. Ask dealer to show you how to operate and clean the firearm.
    3. Sign up for class
    4. Practice, practice, practice...

I am thinking the best approach would be to let my children know it is there and educate them on the dangers of "playing" with a gun and letting them know that they are not to try to access under any condition...or should I just put it there and not mention it...they would most likely never find it?
    Definitely educate them. There are gun safety videos on the Internet. Take the kids with you to the range, so they can see by themselves and learn to respect firearms.

If your kids are young:

If your kids are older, try this video, then take the kids with you to the range and have them fire a few rounds. They will really know what a gun is capable of and will remove all the mysticism surrounding a firearm.

(York County)

As far a children go education is the most important thing with them. I believe between 6 and 7 is an appropriate age for taking them shooting. Before that they need to know all the safety rules and how to properly handle a fire arm. Only you can really decide when to start the education and when to start taking them shooting. These 2 steps eliminate the curiosity of firearms, which usually leads children to pick them up in the first place. No matter where you have a firearm in the house kids can find it so a safe is the best idea.
    When ever my kids want to see my firearms I take the time to show them and make sure they are being safe with them. I also let them know every time that they are not to attempt to gain access to them with out my being there. They are also given the notice of punishment that will be given if they break the rules. This is because once a bullet leaves the barrel it cannot be taken back.

Calvin

(Chester County)

One other thing I forgot to add before. You may want to read through this website.

http://corneredcat.com/

It's a gun info website for women. There's lots of great information there. It covers everything from the basic rules of firearm handling to info about concealed carry. It's well written and easy to understand. It's well worth the time to read it.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Monroe County)

Thank you all so much! I will go through each reply again, check links and videos and I will come back with any questions I still might have.

Again, thanks for your time!!

Tammy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast